It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

posting limit?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
i've noticed that a few of the newer members, more so one or two in particular, have been just posting and posting like crazy and building up ATS posts. most of these posts are random nonsense, or just plain off topic. is there like a limit to how many times per day you can post, or anything? i mean, these people have just been spamming the boards these past few days, and it's annoying. granted, i do my good share of multiple posts in a day, but i do my best to at least have some good input.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
are you referring to me??? i actually answer the questions.....

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
And many of them are just news items or "what do you think" topics. No conspiracy no thought of their own just a link and one sentence. It's just a bid for points and it's annoying as hell.

[Edited on 28-2-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Agreed. Contributions= yarr. What do you think threads generally don't have merit, except for a few I've seen where intelligent people debated the merits of one thing over another.If you're going to do something, at least do it right, ya know?

DE

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Clearly some people are posting way, way too much, too often. Like averaging 50 to 70 posts a day.

I think there should be some kind of limit. Say 50 in a two day period or to that effect.
This is coming from someone that averages less than a post a day though, so I'm kinda biased.

Clearly moderators could disable it if something huge were to happen that would require posters to post like crazy.

Oh Well.

[Edited on 2004-2-28 by DClark]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000

Now that was hilarious.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I suspect he is referring to you CM. You are posting on average of 49 per day.

At present we have a thread running as to what to do about you, and the consensus sems to be to delete the posts we consider crap. Deleting posts doesn't sit well with me so the relucatnace to do it. We'll let you know as soon as the outcome is decided.

Normally spam posting is not an issue but the odd "point whores" do appear and should be discouraged.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
netchicken, I can't be a point whore any more.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
im not whoring points.....i just have a very open mind...but everybody thinks im an idiot....

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

actually, yes. no point in lying.

Originally posted by kinglizard
And many of them are just news items or "what do you think" topics. No conspiracy no thought of their own just a link and one sentence. It's just a bid for points and it's annoying as hell.

i take part in those at times, i won't deny it. they can be fun... in my opinion, things like that really should be in the chit chat forum though, not nwo or anything else. nothing i could do about it though.

Originally posted by DClark
Clearly some people are posting way, way too much, too often. Like averaging 50 to 70 posts a day.

I think there should be some kind of limit. Say 50 in a two day period or to that effect.
This is coming from someone that averages less than a post a day though, so I'm kinda biased.

Clearly moderators could disable it if something huge were to happen that would require posters to post like crazy.

yeah, i agree. i think that only a posting limit should be imposed on ATSers who have been on the boards for a month. 25 a day would be good. i don't see any reasonable reason how someone could get that many a day. me, myself, i measure in at 13.19 posts per day, which is a desent amount. some days i post more, some days less, some none at all.

and yeah, if something did happen like another terrorist attack or matrial law or a major natural disater or something, mods could disable that. also, i don't think that this sort of a limitation should apply to the BTS forums.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I do not think you are an idiot. No one on this board is an idiot because I do not think and idiot would be smart enough to find ATS and become a member.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
i dont even remember how i found this...so i guess i am an idiot

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
my intention wasn't to make you, or anyone else who does this, to feel like an idiot. i agree with ilovepizza's comment on idiots and ATS. i don't think you're an idiot at all... a bit overeager, maybe. a bit random and inane, maybe. that's okay though, i know when i joined ATS i wanted to post and talk about anything and everything i could. not for points, but for fun and because i found it all so interesting that ths existed. it was almost a sort of sensory overload, if i could put it that way.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I think its quite a difficult issue to resolve.

Ideally the answer is to have an omnipotent admin that deletes the bad posts and keeps the good to maintain the flow of the thread. So people have to reach a "quality level". However in practice it could too easily be misconstrued as a form of censorship or perscecution.

I think that "point whores" have to realise that they will be found out and will lose their points in the end, and that in the long term they are better off developing a good reputation instead of more points.

At the bottom of it is a case of honour and motives. If you are truely trying to add to the thread, your post is on topic, you are not rude or destructive and your quality is good then how many posts you make is not a problem. Take MA (god rest his soul) he made lots of posts but they were nearly always of a high calliber.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
things that make you go hmmmm..

(i post alot, wonders if everyone thinks i am an idiot or a point whore as it is referred to??)

no need to reply to this post

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well if you were to farm, I would think you'd be smarter about it and post in high point yielding forums.

But what do points really matter? At 100k do you get a hat or something? 200k a signed photograph of my asscrack with "You Rock" written on it?

I've noticed some people tend to think because they have amassed x amount of points more than y person that they are > y person.

I spend most my time in BTS, so I really don't care about gaining points rapidly,

But if I was to be a farmer, my god, I'd do it with style.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
well not all of my posts are stupid...i think im addicted to this because im finding out so many things like that guy said...

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
worldwatcher... you said no need to reply, but honestly i think your posts are some of the better ones. i don't always agree with them, but they're still good. you know what i mean? i'm sure you do.

netchicken... yeah, some sort of mod to impose a quality level would be nice, but as you said people would be complaining about censorship. also, if this mod, or whomever, did not like the person due to previous inane posts, the good ones could end up being blocked out as well. maybe if this admin was rotated between the others or something this could be curbed, but i dunno.

what i think it all comes down to is that we have to deal with the spammers, point-whores, and idiots. people will always cheat and disrupt a system, no matter to what ends.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Lysergic
But what do points really matter? At 100k do you get a hat or something? 200k a signed photograph of my asscrack with "You Rock" written on it?

i dunno, now i might have a reason to start posting willy-nilly!

But if I was to be a farmer, my god, I'd do it with style.

how? i'd like to know so i can get those 100k and 200k milesone prizes soon!

[Edited on 2/28/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

what i think it all comes down to is that we have to deal with the spammers, point-whores, and idiots. people will always cheat and disrupt a system, no matter to what ends.

Very true. Yes I have noticed a lot of spamming around the board, but some of isn't actually spam, it is just other people's oppinon said rudely and in an untillegent manner.

I am 100% against posting limit, because some times I post more than 30 posts a day, other times just a couple.

I know many people who post at least 50 posts each day and pretty much all of their posts are gold.

I think the mods are doing a pretty good job of banning people who are spamming the board.

Btw, World watcher I love your posts and I certainly don't think your are an idiot, but some people are truly idiots, I haven't read cookie's posts, so I don't know about him, but there are others who make want to look at their face and go "FREAK OF NATURE".

[Edited on 2/28/2004 by surfup]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think that this open, and honest discussion is valuable, and I think it is good. However I would also urge people to use the complaint function, as sometimes these discussions can become less than civil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join