It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just to give us in the U.S. some perspective. If this quake had struck
the center of the U.S., it would have shaken to whole country!
It was felt from Bejing to Hanoi.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
That's one massive earthquake.

The death toll looks awful, but given the size of the quake, I guess I should be amazed it wasn't worse - I hope all our Chinese ATS members are OK

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
confirmed that there is still "only" 60,000 people who are out of reach and out of contact in the epicenter, which is a very mountanous under-developed area without a good infrastructure. So one can only assume death toll will not rise to 100K....

Keeping the aftershocks in mind (over 1000+ now), it might be too dangerous to move in too quickly it is said. Will keep you guys updated.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I hope you are not refering to my post about the 100,000 number being used in all cataclysmic events. Since my time here on ats I have seen many mention's of J.T. relating to current events.

Also if that is the case I have to say that God and Jesus, should be considered off topic as well. Just a thought.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Howie47
Did anyone mention that this happened at the eastern edge of the Tibetan Plateau! Is God telling China, "Let Tibet go!"

That was one of my first thoughts! I pray it is not so as the Tibetans do not believe in hostility for their adversaries. Rather they pray for their assention into higher plateaus of compassion and empathy, spiritual freedoms for all sentient beings.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Originally posted by Howie47
Did anyone mention that this happened at the eastern edge of the Tibetan Plateau! Is God telling China, "Let Tibet go!"

That was one of my first thoughts! I pray it is not so as the Tibetans do not believe in hostility for their adversaries. Rather they pray for their assention into higher plateaus of compassion and empathy, spiritual freedoms for all sentient beings.

God has nothing to do with this, if god did do this then he/she/it is truly nothing more than a kid with a magnifying glass and a ready supply of ants.

I do hope the death toll doesn't rise to high, that generaly area has had such terrible luck lately. First a massive cyclone and then an earthquake, lets hope karma kicks in and gives them a break.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I could care less about the politics involved here, this is about people. People who suffer and hurt, just like any of us. I'm proud to see that differences are put aside and the concern shown here has been for those effected by this.

My heart is with those suffering now; human to human caring is what is important.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.
John Donne, Meditation XVII
English clergyman & poet (1572 - 1631)

Never a more true and humble statement was made.

It is of the uptmost respect I feel deeply this past week.

What is significant for our planet and her changes, her birth pangs, giving rise to the new.

I ask why did she spare me? When so many souls pass beyond this exsistance in such a short period of time? What lies before us all who seemingly survive to see another sunrise? Blessed are the little ones that crave tonight without a bed, longing for their mothers, who will not hear their cries.

I ask deeply and with candle white, lit to become all who will join in my prayer for the innocent, the lost the scared. Protect the night and sleep only to escape into another realm where we comfort those little ones and wash away their tears.

Here is my key, my heart.

A Sanyasin

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Thank you for the OP to raise up this news as the first one with a real concern about the innocent lifes lost. I am most glad to see it done by a non-Chinese member.

And thank you for all the ones showing sympathy and support for my brothers and sisters. These are the people, and for some I have argued fiercely, why I would keep on coming back to ATS. Yes I will keep on coming back despite that this place is filled with some sick minds making ATS one of the most hostile environment for anyone sharing a different opinion.

I am still looking up one of the Chinese ATS member, who I don't know where he is and can not get in contact with the past 24 hours.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ok Folks am i reading this right

The havaria site seems to show two separate earth quakes
havaria
The first being
12/05/2008 - 06:52:31
On Monday, an earthquake measuring 7.5 rocked Sichuan province less than 100 km (60 miles) from the provincial capital of Chengdu, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its website. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties or damage from the tremor. The tremor, centred 92 km northwest of Chengdu, was felt as far away as Beijing and Shanghai and in the Thai capital Bangkok, where office buildings swayed with the impact.)

And the second being
12/05/2008 - 18:59:29
Monday's earthquake in southwest China's Sichuan Province has left 85 people dead in neighboring Shaanxi Province, up from the previous figure of 61, local government said on Tuesday. Meanwhile, 313 others were injured, a spokesman with the provincial government said. In the provincial capital of Xi'an, 15 people were killed and 90 others injured, the spokesman said. The 7.8-magnitude earthquake rocked Wenchuan County of Sichuan at 2:28 p.m. Monday and more than 7,651 people were feared dead in the province. The tremor was also strongly felt in many other parts of the country, including Beijing, Shanghai and Tibet. )

Im curious as to if one is an aftershock but the time difference is significant.
Joe

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Localjoe3

Aftershocks, there are over 1000+, with some very strong ones at 6.

Some of these aftershocks I heard could last for days sometimes.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
[Aftershocks, there are over 1000+, with some very strong ones at 6.

Some of these aftershocks I heard could last for days sometimes.

There could be aftershocks even weeks after the main quake.

Sad situation....again.....

Mother nature really does not like Asia

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

This is a list of the recent earthquakes in China. It must be like a roller-coaster ride over there.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Magnitude 5.0
Date-Time Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 03:00:38 UTC
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:00:38 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 31.222°N, 103.671°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA
Distances 70 km (45 miles) NNW of Chengdu, Sichuan, China
110 km (65 miles) WSW of Mianyang, Sichuan, China
330 km (205 miles) NW of Chongqing, Chongqing, China
1500 km (930 miles) SW of BEIJING, Beijing, China

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.2 km (5.7 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 34, Nph= 34, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.82 sec, Gp=104°,
M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2008rzaq

another on to add to the list

Sorry i did not see your post you have it in your list

[edit on 12-5-2008 by duffster]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
My thoughts and sympathy are with those who survived and who have lost loved ones, as well as those injured, homeless, or still lost and/or buried somewhere. Earthquakes are horrifying events. I lived through the 1989 quake here (Loma Prieta - 6.9 but sufficient to destroy bridges and homes, knock out power for days, and spark fires.) We're WAY overdue for a large quake here according to most experts. Knowing how scary the '89 quake was really makes me feel for the people who just experienced such a monster of an earthquake.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
IchiNiSan - thank you for keeping us updated - I have checked this thread thoughout the day and into the night here. My thoughts are with the people there. Sending love and light to them.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Latest news:

- 9219 officially confirmed death toll directly by the Earthquake. Several multiplies of that figure wounded and homeless. Many places in total ruins, no electricity, water or gas. Weather conditions bad, raining, many are not allowed or daring to go to home. All of them stayed in the open the whole night in the cold.

- 60,000 people in the epicenter still out of reach and no contact for the since the first Earthquake (approx 20 hours!) The worst is expected for those 60,000 out of reach. One bright light, with the satellite telephone a place was contacted after 11 hours out of contact (and still out of reach), where it is confirmed about 30,000 people over there are safe.

- PLA has dispatched 17000 men, PAP another 20000 men, and all local police, firemen and any volunteers helping. New material and rescuers are still being dispatched. All coordinated by Wen Jiaobao, who gave the direct order that within today before midnight rescuers should have opened a route to the epicenter.

- Chengdu airport gradually reopened, eyewitnesses say each flight military and rescuers are being flown in.

- Still many aftershocks, one of the biggest one 6.5. Over 1000+ ones. People are most afraid of these unexpected aftershocks, and therefore still do not dare to go back home, which are oftenly built not with earthquake-resistant.

- Known Earthquake areas:

-

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Heard just some creepy radio news:

- If 7.8 Earthquake epicenter was in Hong Kong, then practically all Skyscrapers in Hong Kong (my home and I work/live in Shenzhen) would collapse like a cardhouse....

- A few hours before the quake a lot of animals, especially insects, frogs, toads, mice, and the like were coming out in the thousands fleeing. It seems like we humans really lost our nature instincts
If I get more official news and information about these animals/insects, then I will keep it updated, this is very important.

- Many people outside China don't know, but in 1976 in China we had the Great Tangshan Earthquake, which is the earthquake causing the most death toll in the 20th century.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I do not know how accurate this video is as it makes loops continuously as the Red Cross agent speaks about the latest news from China.

Also thank you very much to our Honorable Forum Members in China for keeping us informed of the latest news of your Country during this incredibly difficult time.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I would like to see more videos as they come out.

IchiNisan, it breaks my heart and I cry every time I read your posts. I can imagine what you must be experiencing, and yet you still have the graciousness to help us understand and share your very difficult time.
Thank you

[edit on 13-5-2008 by antar]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
About 1300 rescuers are within 20 km proximity to the trapped Wenchuan despite the heavy rainfalls.

Another 700 rescuers are close to the other trapped Maoxian too.

Video news: These are all Chinese ones, but the footages speaks a lot, look at the "highways"

13 May footages
www.musicty.com...
www.musicty.com...

12 May footages
www.musicty.com...
www.musicty.com...
www.musicty.com...

Pictures (Continuously updated):
hi.musicty.com...

Antar, I am just doing my fair share from a far, feel helpless by being so far away without any possibility to physically help the victims there...

EDIT: After looking especially at the first video, then you might understand why it is so difficult to reach the trapped areas
Devastating scenes of the mountaneous roads and highways...

[edit on 13/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join