It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I see 9500+ and this is in one county alone...I hate to say this I wouldnt be surprised if this hits 50,000+ dead. I mean 10k in one county and they are not even close to finding everyone yet....this is scary stuff. There are a lot of quakes and hurricanes...Im starting to wonder if time is running out.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
ATS really has too much paranoiid people *sigh* I can not imagine how "happy" these people's entire life are when they always look at anything from the negative side.....

For anyone who want to see some pictures or can read Chinese for the latest news... It contains the latest news, a lot of pictures, information about casualties, also informative training material how to survive and information about earthquakes/historic events and so on.
news.qq.com...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Thankfully I think all our staff in Chengdu are accounted for. I have an update conference call at 2AM (9AM local in Chengdu) so should hopefully have some updates on damage to our office / lab space there.
As always happens with these type of events, the news always trickles out slowly but it's looking rather grim for a lot of people in the region - very sad

The aftershocks are still coming so still scary for a lot of people sitting it out in the area. Many of us are so lucky to live in places not prone to such upheavals or extreme weather and should count ourselves lucky.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
According to this Zinhua article they can't reach the area of the epicenter
because of all the debris blocking the roads. The city closest to it has a population of 100k plus.

URGENT: Sichuan quake death toll rises to 8,533

www.chinaview.cn 2008-05-12 23:37:24 Print

CHENGDU, May 12 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from Monday's earthquake in southwest China's Sichuan Province has climbed to 8,533, according to local authorities.

The figure climbed from 7,651 provided earlier Monday night by the temporary headquarters for disaster relief headed by Premier Wen Jiabao in Sichuan.

Sources with the headquarters said casualties are being tallied in other areas affected by the massive quake, and detailed information is being collected on the damage.

The number of casualties is expected to rise as further destruction is reported. Authorities are yet to reach Wenchuan County, which sits at the epicenter of the earthquake with a population of about 112,000.

In Beichuan County, close to Wenchuan, the number of deaths is estimated at more than 3,000, as 80 percent of the buildings were destroyed by the quakes.

Li Chongxi, deputy secretary of Sichuan Provincial Committee of the Communist Party of China, led a rescue team to Wenchuan, but was stranded at Dujiangyan City.

"We are doing everything we can, but the roads are blanketed with rocks and boulders," Li said.

Rescuers were clearing the debris to reach the quake-hit sites as quickly as possible, he said. Telecommunications links to the county had also been cut.

Editor: Mu Xuequan

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related Stories

[edit on 5-12-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

Would it be possible to set aside the the conspiracy and humor on this thread and concentrate on the news at hand. I find no humor in 8,500 deaths.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Wish the best for your staff in Chengdu. Seems like the worst is over there, with 45 confirmed killed and over 600 wounded.

So far I see that the main casualties are at the epicenter.

It's the aftershocks which is creeping the people out.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by u4itornot

Indeed, it is the epicenter now which is worrying us. And we are over midnight here, considered the darkness rescue work is difficult to be done. Very worried about the wounded ones....

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Being from earthquake country in Norcal my heart goes out to the people affected. My prayers are with you all especiallly the children.

This is a tradgedy beyond comprehension...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Every time I check the news the death toll rises, over 9,000 now and I fear it will continue for some time. english.aljazeera.net...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is a rather important story, and I find the post-and-flag ratio to be disturbing. If you find this story important, you need to flag this topic so that others can see it. I didn't even see the topic until about 5 minutes ago when I heard it on the news, and considering the magnitude of the story (no pun intended), I think more people need to see this.

All I have to say is that if I see the tornadoes than killed a small amount being reported more than Myanmar and this story, I will be writing some angry letters. This story needs as much coverage as possible, despite it happening in "Communist China".

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This has been all over the news here - pretty much the only story people have been talking about since this afternoon when the story broke. This is earthquake country, and it hits a nerve - to say the least. We all know that we're one seismic hiccup away from being the same headline. The word I have is that donations will be taken starting tomorrow morning at city hall. I will be there, for one.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

It is all over the news here also (U.S) I switch back and forth from CNN and NBC, the local news is also giving good coverage. The midwest has been having a sccession of small earthquakes on a very dangerous fault line and I am counting my blessings for now.

There are several local organizations here that Americans will be donating through and I for one will be doing that soon.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I do not like their form of government one bit. I have compassion for their people. I hope their leadership isn't nutjobs like Burma's and accepts international aid for what it is meant to be.

People helping people...nothing more!

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am deeply saddened to hear of yet more deaths... many people have lost their lives within a week, countless thousands killed in Bhurma... Ive heard of estimates as high as high as 1.5million dead in Bhurma. Today more people have lost their lives in Sichaun province in China, the last confirmed death toll I heard was 8,600 people although this is certain to rise much higher... My thoughts and prayers are with all those that have been affected, never before have I seen so many lives lost in such a short time.

I can only think that this is only the beginning of further death globally, these events are a small release of the earths internal pressures which I believe will only lead to more death and destruction, my thoughts turn to 2012... will there be anybody left?

Resentedhalo08

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thank you IchiNiSan and Britguy for your posts. My prayers are with you and yours, and for all those suffering during this terrible tragedy. Thank you for keeping us up to date on the rescue efforts.

For those so inclined, please meditate and say prayers for those in need of help.

Bright Blessings
yr

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I do not like their form of government one bit. I have compassion for their people. I hope their leadership isn't nutjobs like Burma's and accepts international aid for what it is meant to be.

People helping people...nothing more!

On CNN they said they'll only accept cash aid so we'll see.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Are the aftershocks getting weaker? Or stronger, like the strange quakes in the midwest?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is so crazy and tragic, especially in light of the Mynamar tragedy, I can only say that to anyone who is moved and touched by human tragedy both here at home and abroad, donate to your favorite charity. I can't stress how important giving charity is, a few dollars can do so much, not only for those we help but ourselves too.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is heartbreaking. I too feel that this is just the begining of huge natural occurances. My prayers are with those in China.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is a video from the BBC showing the first moments of the China earthquake taken from someones camcorder. Wow, Ive never seen anything like that. Here is the link..

news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join