It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Wow, I guess those pictures are not a great representation. I fear this will end up like Burma and the death toll will be staggering by the time it is all said and done.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well the Chinese government should be a lot easier to deal with than Burma's.

(and that says a lot about Burma...)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
This is really sad news--- I keep reading all these earthquake predictions on ATS lately, and for some reason I am still shocked. If early reports are saying 3,000 - 5,000 people killed, what will the numbers eventually rise to?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

That is the image on the front of CNN right now. Pretty devastating.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Well we can only hope hey.... I guess with the olympics happening then the country will be a little more open.

-fm

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Reports of a hospital collapsing in the sichaun (sp?) province

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is the Quake Watch 2008 thread -- the initial 7.8 was the last post on page 16, but I have it noted on page 17 -- I link this page because there have been at least 6 'after-shocks' in pretty much the exact spot as the original -- the original hit @ 06:28:00 UTC -- the 6 that followed all hit within the next 4 hours of that (10:23 UTC) -- all at 4.9 or bigger.

Crazy quakes around U.S. -- Volcano blast -- killer cyclone -- now a massive quake with alot of activity on top of it -- common sense suggests there is something seriously 'wrong' with Mother Earth, and it's not because of global warming -- tack on the animal 'oddities' and 'disappearances' to that, as well -- what the hell is going on

I tend to lean toward the magnetism of Earth being all screwed up, due to one reason or a combination of, which is causing all this, imo.

I'm editing that to at least 7 'aftershocks' now, right on top of the initial one, in a 6 hour span.

[edit on 5/12/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Here is an interesting chart with population exposure to relative shaking and possible damage. I don't know how modernized China is in regards to earthquake resistant buildings.

7.8 China May12, 2008 Earthquake Chart

[edit on 5/12/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I understand it's not as big as Chinas but is this just the start?

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.1
Date-Time Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:50:35 UTC
Monday, May 12, 2008 at 04:50:35 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 56.523°N, 153.108°W
Depth 33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program
Region KODIAK ISLAND REGION, ALASKA
Distances 76 km (47 miles) S (171°) from Old Harbor, AK
80 km (50 miles) SE (125°) from Akhiok, AK
125 km (78 miles) SSE (154°) from Larsen Bay, AK
553 km (344 miles) SSW (202°) from Anchorage, AK

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST=104, Nph=104, Dmin=144 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=137°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=7
Source Alaska Earthquake Information Center, Fairbanks, USA

Event ID us2008rybi

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by duffster

I just posted those at Quake Watch 2008 and was just questioning that myself. I also questioned space cadet for any predictions coming back to this side of the world off this one in China... still waiting on that.

I say "those" above because there were two smaller ones, on the way to the 5.1 duff noted

[edit on 5/12/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
From what I have been reading the number is up to 5,000.

I know some people in Sichuan... I am not sure which city they are in though.

Up to 5,000 people were reported to have been killed in a single Chinese county today after a major earthquake struck a densely populated area of in the southwestern province of Sichuan.

The quake, with a magnitude of 7.8 on the Richter scale, flattened schools, offices and houses in Sichuan, and caused widespread damage in nearby Gansu and Yunnan as well as the sprawling municipality of Chongqing. The tremor was felt in cities across southeast Asia as far as Bangkok, more than 1,200 miles from the epicentre.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 12-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

I realy hope this is the end of the quakes but i have a gut feeling on this and it's not good

I hope duncan is wrong about the 9.5

Peace to all

When the power of love over comes The love of power The world will know peace

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Now reports of several schools collapsing and a chemical plant,
Not looking good at all

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A hospital has now been reported demolished from the quake. Just getting worse.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Disgustipated

What does 80 tons of ammonia do to the atmosphere?

[edit on 12/5/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This is not good, Ive been following the earthquakes over at Quake watch, Things just are not seeming so good around the world and the ring of fire. Is this only the first sign of things that are to come? There have been some interesting theories for predicting these earthquakes, which seem to correspond with each other, when one hits in Place X, another across the globe hits in place B.

Mother nature doesn't seem to be very pleased as of late.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The human population is taking a good old kicking right now from mother Earth. It's no surprise really, the way this planet has been treated by the human population is appalling.

Compare Earth to a dog with fleas, The earth is simply having a good shake down to rid it's self of those pesky fleas/humans.

I feel sorry for my sister and the young kids of today. What a dynasty we've left them.

How long before we face the same consequences?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by Disgustipated

What does 80 tons of amonia do to the atmosphere?

Ammonia? jeese prob not good for any living thing down wind or in the immediate area

Ammonia interacts immediately upon contact with available moisture in the skin, eyes, oral cavity, respiratory tract, and particularly mucous surfaces to form the very caustic ammonium hydroxide. Ammonium hydroxide causes the necrosis of tissues through disruption of cell membrane lipids (saponification) leading to cellular destruction. As cell proteins break down, water is extracted, resulting in an inflammatory response that causes further damage.

This link has a good section on the immediate health effects of ammonia exposure

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

Just woke up to this terrible news and immediatly thought of you and wwssi. Glad to see you on the thread and hope to see wwssi soon. All my best to you and your countrymen.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Lord, Watch over and comfort our Chinese brothers and sisters in their time of need. Reach out to them with a supernatural hand, keep them safe, and ease their suffering and comfort them. amen

I woke to this news and felt a great sadness. I wish the best for them regardless of stupid political differences that really don't matter in the end.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Illahee]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join