It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

This picture really says a lot... hope they will become stronger and grow up well.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Unbelievable to feel we might be having over 80,000 casualties

Official deathtoll 62,664 people and 23,775 still missing. Many new deaths are because many rescued but wounded did not make it
It is also expected that over 50,000 people will be disabled and handicapped for the rest of their lifes.

And we are facing a 6.4 aftershock, which I doubt it can called a aftershock, it is simply another bog earthquake
I always thought, aftershocks were only max for a few days and not that strong.....

Two stories I wanted to share with ATS:

Dogs are your best friend - A granny lived on her own in a remote area in Sichuan. She has only one dog and there is another dog in a nearby temple. The earthquake destroyed both her house and the temple, and she was buried under the rubbles. Both of her and the temple's dogs kept on licking her mouth to give her "water" and keep her alive. She was rescued when rescue workers were alert by one of these dogs....

A strong girl needs light - A school girl is living in such a remote place in Sichuan that she has to walk for hours every day over the mountain to school. Every day after school even when she start walking home again it will become dark. But because she is afraid of the dark and for her safety, so she was given a flashlight. The Earthquake buried her under the rubbles with no escape, so with her flashlight she found a book and started reading. This gave her enough strength and kept her alive untill she was rescued. Her leg needed to be amputeed though...

One picture to remind everyone that "soldiers" are merely humans and one of us, our boys and girls.

A soldier who was part of the team opening a blocked road to Wenchuan. His wife was trapped inside, but she is rescued by her husband! The joy of tears...

[edit on 25/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
thanks for the updates and sharing the stories.

We aren't seeing this footage on the mainstream media so it is wonderful to be able to keep up updated here at ATS.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Some pictures of our exhausted heros...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The despictable side of human beings:

I have said it often, and will keep saying it. China is just too big, even when the over majority of the people are united and are trying to help the victims of the earthquake with whatever means they have and many who are willing to risk their own lifes to save others... there are always a minority of despictable coackroaches who decided to benefit from this disaster! So that's why we need a strong enforcement to keep these coacroaches at bay.

Overall speaking these issues are minimized, but there are just these criminals anywhere....

Please keep in mind that these kinds of public awareness of criminal acts and open reporting about crimes are happening day to day now. In the more developed areas, more openness and more media catching these cases. Yes we are still developing....

Commentary in italics in the Chinese and sum in English:

Sum: In Beichuan a 28 years looter is arrested.
正在北川灾区抗灾抢险的公安特警肩负着维护社会治安,维护抗灾秩序的重任。灾难发生后,有人奋不顾身地去抢 险救人,也有几个别不法之徒以自愿救灾、寻找失散亲人等名义在灾区偷盗财物。截止5月17日,在北川灾区执行特 警任务的重庆特警已经抓获了在灾区趁火打劫偷盗财务的犯罪嫌疑人28人

Sum: CCTV1 showed that 3 torch bearers were only pretending to donate while they don't even have dropped money at all! The informed public and netizens are now cruxifying these bearers!
5月13日《新闻联播》播出新闻“奥运圣火完成在福建龙岩的传递”。新闻当中,播出了奥运火炬手为灾区人民捐款 的画面。画面中三位火炬手只有捐款的动作,手中没有拿钱。节目播出后,引起了观众和网民的强烈质疑!
央视就《新闻联播》“火炬手空手捐款”致歉

It is not a problem to not donate money, but at least don't pretend in front of the camera!

Sum: SMS (short cellphone messages) are sent to cheat people who claims that his friend is affected by the disaster!
5月13日,上海市公安局110报警服务台连续接到群众举报,称收到了上述以汶川地震为名号召汇款赈灾的短信.

The government is therefore asking people to only donate to accreditted organizations!

Sum: These kinds of SMS senders criminals being caught.
上海市公安机关调查发现,上海市红十字会没有以短信方式组织过类似捐款活动,也没有叫“李梅冬”的员工。专 案组很快发现,发送这些诈骗信息的均为外省市手机,账号开户地也在外省市,犯罪嫌疑人在贵州一带活动。15日� ��午,在贵州公安机关协助下,胡某等犯罪嫌疑人在贵州落网。据警方初步调查,这个犯罪团伙的主要成员来自湖� ��娄底。

The Chinese Red Cross website was also being hacked and account number changed. Fortunately it was found out quickly, and these hackers are also caught in Shenzhen. Or guys who created a fake charity website to cheat people too are also being caught now.

Sum: Villagers "stealing" relief supplies, when they are hardly affected by the earthquake!
装有赈灾物资的车开到绵竹土门镇的时候遭到哄抢。强调一下,这些抢东西的人不是灾民!他们根本就没有受灾! 你们见过灾民穿的这么干净么?你们见过灾民还有摩托和农用车可以开么?

Sum: Another looter stealing relief supplies.
5月18日地震灾区北川陈家坝双堰村村委会门口,一名在凌晨被抓获的小偷被当地治安队员铐在电线杆上。

Sum: In New York Falun Gong supporters were disturbing a donation actions by Chinese people to help the victims. One of the Falun Gong board shows "The heaven is punishing China".
美国纽约华人社团在纽约法拉盛图书馆门前为四川震灾募捐,“法轮功”现场捣乱、引发众怒。

Unbelievable that religions can cause people to be so extreme, and actually believe innocent children and peasants would be "punished" by an all-mighty heaven or God.

[edit on 26/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Some pictures which are heart-breaking, saved babies:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the updates. I really pray that those dams don't collapse.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I decided to check on youtube for the first time to see what netizens have compiled....

Decided to post a few youtube video clips with songs dedicated to the victims. I will add a warning on each video IF there there are the kind of graphic pictures I have decided to self-censor and not post it here....

足本版承諾MV : 演藝人協會四川大地震賑災主題曲
Note: compiled and sang by Hong Kong celebrities. No warning

中国四川8级大地震China Earth quake 8 magnitude, 触目惊心的真实画面!!!!
warning: picture of the buried dead school children and some body pictures

China Sichuan Earthquake * 因为爱
warning: several pictures used are graphic, and at least one with the dead buried school children

Earthquake Photos,Sichuan China 汶川8级地震新闻图片May13 2008
warning: no graphic pictures but there are some with dead bodies

Bye Bye, Mariah Carey, China Earthquake Aid

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

Thanks for the updates! The MSM has kind of left the story alone; it's nice to come here and get updates!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Magnitude 5.2 SICHUAN-GANSU BORDER REGION, CHINA
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 08:03:23 UTC
Location 32.728°N, 105.552°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)

Magnitude 5.7 SICHUAN-GANSU BORDER REGION, CHINA
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 08:37:51 UTC
Location 32.730°N, 105.618°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)

15 days after the 7.9 and it is unreal, imo, how many aftershocks have occurred on this spot or the one VERY slightly south, where I believe the original hit... noted as "Eastern Sichuan" on those thru the USGS site. And it was a 6.4 just on Sunday? But that's over two weeks now on, essentially, the same spot... seems a bit extensive in time and excessive in number. I can only keep hoping it settles down there for all the survivors. And thanks again to IchiNiSan
Keep up the good work.

[edit on 5/27/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Reported Deathtoll: 67,183
Total Calculated DeathToll: 59,544
Missing: 20,790
Expected Deathtoll: Over 80,000

Location.......................................Killed......Wounded......Missing

SiChuan Province (四川):
WenChuan County (汶川县).............15884.....34583...........8275
BeiChuan Country (北川县)..............8605......9693
MianZhu City (绵竹市).....................6805......31565
ChengDu City (成都市)....................4276......26413
DuJiangYan City (都江堰市)..............3069......4388
QingChuan County (青川县).............2675......12987
ShiFang City (什邡市)......................5891......31990
An County (安县)............................1571......13476
PingWu Country (平武县).................1546......32145
PengZhou City (彭州市)...................952.......5770
Mao County (茂县)..........................2631......8183.............2939
JiangYou City (江油市)......................359.......9483
Li County (理县)..............................102.......1611.............21
YaAn City (雅安)..............................28........1351
MeiShan Place (眉山).......................10........315
ZiYang Place (资阳)..........................20........633
BaZhong City (巴中)........................10.........258
NanChong City (南充)......................30........7632
SuiNing City (遂宁)..........................27........402
LeShan City (乐山)...........................8.........534
NeiJiang Place (内江)........................7.........225
GanZi Town (甘孜)...........................9.........23
GuangAn Place (广安)......................1.........37
LuZhou City (泸州)..........................1.........1
LiangShan Place (凉山)....................3.........4
ZiGong City (自贡)...........................2.........87

GanSu Province (甘肃)...................364.......7865..............11
ShaanXi Province (陕西).................114.......3017
ChongQing SEZ (重庆).....................16........637
HeNan Province (河南)......................2.........7
YunNan Province (云南)....................1.........51
HuBei Province (湖北)......................1.........14
HuNan Province (湖南).....................1.........0
GuiZhou Province (贵州)..................1.........15

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Some stories:

“Am I being quaked to abroad?" - The Russian rescuers digged and saved one guy who was buried under the rubbles for days. The moment he opened his eyes and saw the Russians, his first reaction was like "Did this earthquake swinged me to abroad?"

Rumor story: "You have tried your best!" - The Japanese rescue team returned to Japan without being able to save one survivor. One of the team member is rumored to be so heart-broken and sad about that he could not help anyone, that he felt so guilty that he wanted to suicide. Chinese Netizens are spreading this rumor on forums, and are trying to cheer this Japanese guy (and other heros) that "You already have given your best, don't feel guilty, Chinese people will be forever grateful to you!".

White angels - You have to understand that the victims are mainly lower educated people, and hold traditional Chinese values like family orientation and gratefulness very high. Medical team members are being called their White Angels! Medical teams from Russia, Japan, Italy, Germany, UK, France, Cuba, Hong Kong and Taiwan, in total 285 people from outside mainland China are being treated as the local people's white angels.

UNSELFISH! - After knowing that there is a shortage for baby food/milk etc, so a female PAP decided to leave her 6 month-old baby to her parents and went to Sichuan to "feed the orphan babies",

Self sacrifice - After many failed attempts and for days not being able to save one woman. The buried woman requested the rescuers to spend their energy on others and then she comitted suicide... Her baby at the scene was crying....

[edit on 27/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well, I hear more and more complaints about Western MSM leaving this disaster alone. I have not looked at CNN, BBC for some while, especially since the Earthquake. People who know me now a bit longer here, probably know how I think about Western MSM. I do have to give credit to CNN for having at least a dedicated section on their international-edition website.... Not as extended or updated as news from Chinese press (mainland, Hong Kong and/or Taiwan), but the most important ones are updated here...

Here are the links to dedicated sections:
- CNN: China Earthquake

Compared to BBC, which only have a general Asia-pacific section CNN is certainly more impressive. Or maybe they know much better than BBC what sells in China/Asia now?

- BBC UK - Asia Pacific general section

Currently several very urgent matters:
- Dam saving. Mainly relieving the pressure on the ever rising new lakes. I am looking for some pictures. There is some footages I saw with a line of hundreds of soldiers moving rock by rock. And a chopper bringing heavy machines to the dams...

Poster art for calling out worldwide's Chinese

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

There is still pretty good coverage on CNN during the morning hours. They have spent less time on the corruption and more on the miracles and rescuers. Most of the news papers give it attention when there is a survivor story and of course the internet has it all covered.

Ichi I am linking a peice concerning the evacution of villages...do you know much about it? news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AkPXrwkQwy9Za2TbeEenx1ms0NUE

I have been researching historical quakes and have found out that the New Madrid fault (the one I sit on) took two months with numerous big aftershocks...it reminds me of what is happening over there. The aftershocks over there are big and many. Do any of the Geologist or the authorities speak about the possibilties of the region being hit big again?
earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Witness2008]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Thanx and good to hear that, so that's why my kudos to CNN this time.

2 months???? OMG!!!!!! These aftershocks are so strong that to me it is hardly merely "aftershocks", it can be qualified as a devastating earthquake of her own killing so many!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Pictures showing the strengths of Childrens....

China's biggest class, World's biggest? 800 Students picking up class again.

Volunteers giving classes to school children in the refugee camps...

The dangerous lake...

Heavy equipment being flown over to make canals, preventing the landslide-dams from collapsing, redirecting water

2000 soldiers are working day and night to release the pressure on those dams...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Who remember this guy from earlier in this thread, the buried guy who received medical assistance when trapped. So happy that everything is doing fine with him and he just passed his 17 year birthday, and I see in the report that he got himself some fans

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Official deathtoll reached 68109 people by now. and still 19851 people missing
This means the chance is high the deathtoll will exceed 90,000 and come close to 100,000

In the Wenchuan county, the epicenter, over 14000 school children & students will have troubles to go back to school again. A call for temporary receiving these students at other places and other temporary solutions are being called out to the rest of China.

The canaling and repairing of the natural new landslide dams are still being continued in full force. But the rainy season has started, and rains are dropping from the sky without mercy

Meanwhile in the Yunnan province, storms and heavy rainfall are killing close to 50...it is like we don't have enough natural disasters...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The danger is still near:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
100 thousand lifes' potentially ended. I hope with all my heart there is some benevolent force meeting all of them in an afterlife...

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join