It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

is Sichuan province notorious for corruption?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Latest news today, 5/14/2008 is 20,000

found dead with many more missing.

This is horrendous.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkey

Corruption is a widespread problem at the local governmental layers.

Let me tell you a bit about the political system here.

Ever since we abandoned collectivism and embraced capitalism more and more power was given to local governments. Even though policies are drafted at the central government, but implementation is done at local level. So often if the policy is not drafted strictly or even strictly enough, then it depends to what extend the implementation is followed up. The lower the governmental level, the less politics and the more corruption you will notice, in all different flavours that come with it.

For example, if the Central government made a "green policy". Local governments will get the "input" from the counties, the counties from the cities/towns and then to a neighbourhood what kind of "green activities are planned and what budget is required." From the street level it will apply a certain budget for let's say a 15 trees to be grown. Eventually i would not be surprised if only 3 trees are planted. Of course over-exegeration, but you get the point.

Anyhow, the local governments have a lot of authorities in this system, and unfortunately also subject to a lot of corruption. Because the system is not transparant and open enough. This is why the Central government is trying to take back more local power the recent years, by going to a system ruled by the law. For example, the implementation of a new labour law. It was succesfully implemented throughout China from the 1st of January on. Simply because the policy and law made it mandatory for each province to follow the law exactly. Costprice for labour increased between 10-20% all over China, no province or local county could avoid it.

Now, what you also see is, that the more developed a certain area is, the less corrupt that area will become. In a rural middle of nowhere inland province, you might be hold up by a police officer for speeding. But if you know how to deal with him, you might keep on driving with only "RMB 50 Cash" ticket that you paid. While in GuangDong province, especially within the industrial Pearl River Delta, this is unimaginable. Over here a ticket need to be paid in a police station, no cash payment is accepted, and citizens can file complaints in when a police officer request that. This is why I embrace the economic growth for China, not only because it bring prosperity for the ordinary people all over China, but it also develop the people and the system.

Sichuan particularly is a less developed, you can even say under-developed province. Maybe only Chengdu, her capital, is in full rate developing. It is even rumored that Microsoft is planning to build her new Chinese headquarter in Chengdu. But the rest of Sichuan? Check the pictures of those udner-developed mountainous areas, and see how easy these old builings collapsed
So, yeah, I believe there is more corruption in Sichuan than in Guangdong.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Latest news today, 5/14/2008 is 20,000

found dead with many more missing.

This is horrendous.

Oh no... it's doubled since last I checked this thread

So in the opinion of ATS members what is the best way to give financial support? A charity organization? Red Cross? Are they corrupt? I don't want to give my cash to an agency if it's ultimately going towards car payments...

But I do want to help.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

The Chinese Red Cross should be fine, so you can check with your local Red Cross and make some inquiries. And this time our premier is personally overlooking this terrible disaster. So I bet nobody dare to try to enrich themselves.

Ps. Never give it to an unknown charity organization and make sure they have a direct branch in China.

[edit on 14/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I'm afraid this will only rise even more....

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Thanks for the swift response. Ill take a look at Red Cross.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I am so sorry. Please stay safe
and keep us informed.
Bless you.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Official Confirmed Death Toll = 14866 (Sichuan 14463, Gansu 280, Shaanxi 106)
Still a lot of people missing and trapped or buried....

3000+ aftershocks

This picture also says a lot about how difficult the rescue work is....Imagine what if an aftershock hit this "road"....

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
A good news, the first group of pictures of epicenter---Wenchuan
shows the city wasn't destroyed, but the rural area of the county
was not that lucky.club2.cat898.com...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Nice that they are in contact with the city at the epi-center.

did you guys hear about the Dam?

It was damaged during the quake, and they need to patch it now... hope that goes well...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Do you think that the Earthquakes have anything to do with the HAARP or GWEN machine?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

You can find more information from www.usatoday.com . if you know chinese ,you can find some pages from www.sina.com.I am from china.The people suffer injury need your more attention and help.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well we finally heard from my friends in Schuan and they are unhurt but they are sleeping in a park under misquito netting because their apartment house has been deemed too damaged to enter.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
austin.craigslist.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

CERN possibly responsible for China Earthquakes

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Rescueing people is still the priority.

They arrived in the trapped epicenter and opened all the routes now and saved over tens of thousands out of there!!!!

The airborne rescue work is one of the biggest ever accomplished, paratroopers and relief packages are being dropped.

And it seems like the epicenter was not as badly hit as we all thought (we thought 95% leveled).

Will give more information later.

Current official death toll still 14866 ....

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am still with you, just sensitive to the planet as a whole right now.
Stay in your heart and keep feeling your feet. Remember to breathe.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Thanks for the updates Ichi. Whenever this type of thing happens anywhere in the world, I wish I could teleport there and help. Looks like the rescue efforts are being handled very well. May everybody who can be saved, be saved.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
yes, the priority is still fighting against every second to save one extra life. And the rescue work is very impressive, there is real coordination and unity towards handling this crisis. No delay is allowed. And at all costs lives are being saved.

Latest News:

Official Death Toll 14866 (not updated the whole night, so I'm afraid this has increased)

Buried and unsure about their lives 25,788 (these are the priorities, and rescue workers are digging rock by rock...)

Missing 1405, this figure dropped radically, but afraid for the worst for them...

Aftershocks 3000+, several 5 and 6.1 max, still causing some damaged buildings to collapse...

All banking systems are extremely busy because too many people all over the country are trying to donate. An acquiatance was frustrated and cried because she waited for more than 2 hours untill bank closing hour and still could not donate a cent....

Officially close to 65000 saved from trapped areas, which previous there were no contacts or news. YEAH!!!

Thousands of orphans, besides the government having pledged to take care of them, many people from the richer regions, like Hong Kong and so on are offering adoptions... Not so sure what to think about this, but as long as these orphans can get a new home and a proper education helping their future and maybe minimizing the suffering, anything sound good....

[edit on 14/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan

Officially close to 65000 saved from trapped areas, which previous there were no contacts or news. YEAH!!!

Holy rescue Batman! That's fantastic!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you heard or seen anything in the media or otherwise about the current state of that Dam?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join