It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The European Commission was closely monitoring the situation, a statement said, quoting Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid Louis Michel.
"The initial news from Sichuan is worrying," Mr Michel said.
"Actual information is very sketchy but it seems likely that the quake has caused substantial damage over a considerable area, and there are already reports of some loss of life.
"We are ready to assist if the need arises."
German Chancellor Angela Merkel sent her condolences to Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao over the heavy loss of life.
An official statement quoted the chancellor as saying the German government was also ready to provide speedy assistance.
The Japanese government has decided to give 500 million yen in emergency grant aid to quake-hit China where the death toll neared 12,000, Foreign Ministry sources said Tuesday. The Foreign Ministry, together with the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, the Japan International Cooperation Agency and other ministries, are preparing for the delivery of aid including food, water and blankets, as well as the dispatch of disaster relief medical teams comprised of doctors and nurses, government officials said earlier.
China is ‘‘our neighbor and is suffering significant damage, so we would like to do whatever we can for them,’’ Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura said earlier Tuesday. ‘‘On the other hand, we’ll have to see what kinds of requests there are because some countries want to do things themselves. We’ll be ready to respond anytime.’’
US President George W. Bush on Monday offered his condolences to China over a devastating earthquake that killed thousands of people and said the United States "stands ready to help."
"The thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the Chinese people, especially those directly affected. The United States stands ready to help in any way possible," Bush said in a statement.
White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said China had yet to ask for aid, so "what we can do as a country is offer our support and our thoughts and our prayers."
Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said here on Tuesday that his country had offered search and rescue experts to help China with an earthquake that has left at least 10,000 dead.
The government also was in discussions with Beijing about what humanitarian assistance Australia can provide, he said in a statement.
"The Australian government stands ready to provide practical assistance and has already offered Australia's expert urban search and rescue capabilities through Emergency Management Australia," the foreign minister said.
In the statement, Smith expressed condolences on behalf of all Australians. "I extend our deepest sympathies to those affected by the terrible earthquake in Sichuan province."
"Our thoughts go out to the victims and their families in Chengdu city and surrounding areas," he said.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Monday sent a message of solace to Chinese President Hu Jintao over a disastrous earthquake in China's Sichuan province, expressing his sympathy with the quake-hit victims, Kremlin said.
"Accept my sincere and profound condolences in connection with the May 12 earthquake in Sichuan province," Medvedev said in the message.
Medvedev asked the Chinese leader to convey his words of solace to the relatives and friends of those who were killed in the quake and wished a speedy recovery of the survivors.
"We are ready to help if necessary," said the message.
New Zealand acting Prime Minister Michael Cullen on Tuesday extended New Zealand's sympathy to China following a large earthquake which has affected the country's southwestern region.
Reports so far suggest more than 8,000 people were dead and 20,000 injured.
On behalf of New Zealanders, the government extends its sympathy and condolences to China following the tragedy that has struck the country's Sichuan Province, Cullen said.
"China has immense capability of its own but New Zealand stands ready to assist in an appropriate way if we are asked," he added.
Hong Kong Tuesday pledged 300 million Hong Kong dollars (38.4 million US dollars) in aid and volunteer rescue teams for the victims of the earthquake in China's Sichuan province. Hong Kong's Chief Executive Donald Tsang announced at a press conference that a team comprising experts from the Fire Services Department and Health Department was on standby ready to fly to the affected areas.
SINGAPORE'S Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Tuesday offered to provide disaster assistance rescue teams to China's earthquake recovery work.
He conveyed this in his condolence letter to Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, expressing his sympathies to the quake-hit victims in Sichuan province.
'I was deeply saddened to learn of the great loss of lives and extensive damage caused by the sudden and deadly earthquake in Sichuan province,' PM Lee said in his letter.
He praised the Chinese government's 'swift relief and rescue efforts', saying he is confident that under Premier Wen's 'able leadership, China will be able to tackle the challenges ahead and overcome this disaster'.
Mr Lee added: 'Singapore stands ready to help in any way possible, including through our Disaster Assistance Rescue Teams (DART)', if China thinks it will be useful to the recovery work.
He hopes that the affected regions will return to normalcy in the shortest possible time.
A seismologist warned more than five years ago that based on historical records and animal studies, a strong earthquake was likely in Sichuan.
"Sichuan is virtually certain to experience an earthquake measuring above 7 in the next few years," Chen Xuezhong, a senior researcher with the geophysics institute of State Seismological Bureau (SSB), wrote in a paper published in December 2002, in the periodical Recent Developments in World Seismology.
The article is still available online.
"We must be prepared for a big earthquake after 2003."
Meanwhile, ahead of Monday's deadly earthquake, many people reported seeing unusual animal behavior.
On Saturday, local media reported that hundreds of thousands of toads had appeared on the streets of Manzhu, a city about 60 km southeast of Wenchuan.
A resident surnamed Liu was quoted as saying he saw countless toads killed by passing vehicles as they crossed roads, and that he had never seen anything like it.
Similarly, on Friday, people in Taizhou, Jiangsu province, also said they saw tens of thousands of toads on the city's streets, local media said.
Experts have said animals can give advance notice of quakes, as they sense tremors before they happen.
Unfortunately, no one heeded the toads' "warning".
The most recent survey found only 1,600 of the animals were left in the wild - 1,200 of which live in the Sichuan province, according to the WWF.
Originally posted by Charity
We've seen some new contributors from China here on ATS over the last few months. I hope they, their families & friends are all safe and well.
The Sichuan region since 1800 has been seven earthquakes occurred between 1900 and since more than seven in Sichuan Province in mainland China earthquake and huge earthquake in the correlation between a statistical analysis, the results are as follows: Since 1 80 0 Sichuan region since the earthquake occurred more than seven times the average interval of about 16, up to 34, a minimum of three years, the time interval in the 23 below 83 per cent. Since 1900, seven in Sichuan earthquakes average interval for 11, up to 19, a minimum of three years. Since 1900 the Sichuan region of the seven times seven earthquakes before 1 to 3 years in mainland China have occurred over the huge 7.7 earthquake. From 1976 the Sichuan region has not occurred in 26 earthquakes above seven, far more than the average time interval. In this context, November 14, 2001 in Qinghai - Xinjiang occurred at the junction of the huge 8.1 earthquake is likely to instructions in the next one to two years, Sichuan will have seven regional earthquakes. From 2003 onwards we should guard against the Sichuan region of seven earthquakes may be!
The correlation between the time intervals of earthquakes of M ≥ 7 0 occurring since 1800 and earthquakes of M ≥ 7 0 occurring since 1900 in Sichuan Province and great earthquakes of M ≥ 7 7 in the mainland of China is analyzed statistically in the paper.With the result that since 1800 the mean time intervals of earthquakes of M ≥ 7 0 in Sichuan Province is about 16 years, the longest one is 34 years and the shortest one is 3 years.The time intervals below 23 years are 83%; since 1900 the mean time intervals of earthquakes of M ≥ 7 0 in Sichuan Province is 11 years, the longest one is 19 years and the shortest one is 3 years.Since 1900 one to three years before 7 earthquakes of M ≥ 7 0 occurring in Sichuan Province , great earthquakes of M ≥ 7 7 took place in the mainland of China.Since 1976 earthquakes of M ≥ 7 0 have not taken place in Sichuan Province and the time intervals have been far exceeded.Under this background, the great earghquake of M 8 1 occurring in the boundary between Xinjiang Uygur Autonomors Region and Qinghai Province on November 14,2001 maybe predicts that an earthquake of M ≥ 7 0 will take place in Sichuan Province in one or two years of the future.Beginning with 2003 we should pay more attention to the possibility of an earthquake of M ≥ 7 0 occurring in Sichuan Province.