It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Urged: Fight Terror On Web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

U.S. Urged: Fight Terror On Web

www.courant.com

A Senate homeland security committee report set for release Thursday details a growing threat from terrorists' use of the Internet as a recruiting and training tool. The report concludes that the U.S. government should consider its own outreach program as a counter to the Web strategies of groups such as al-Qaida.

According to the report, new laws should be considered "to prevent the spread of the ideology." And those looking for solutions need to act "quickly and aggressively."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
More fear mongering. This article leads me to believe that the internet as we know it will shortly be non-existent.

New laws should be considered "to prevent the spread of the ideology."
I find statements like that extremely unsettling......

What's your take?

www.courant.com

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

Yup. Preventing "ideology" is a slippery slope.

What will the next ideology be?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by drock905

Yup. Preventing "ideology" is a slippery slope.

What will the next ideology be?

Anything the PTB decide on, scary

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
As usual, "ideology" will be vaguely defined, which means that the government will be able to shut down sites like this one based on the fact that the "ideology" is "subversive." I've already been labeled a terrorist, and I'm sure that won't change in the near future. I hate this government, and I hate the fact that the American people have been enslaved to it without even realizing it. They may take everything I own, but they will not take my ability to question their actions or their motives.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
this is quite disturbing..all these quick and decisive actions...
in the age of information...and it is being limited..stock up on knowledge while you can...remember a book where ''intellectual'' people were on the run?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This has been posted before, but anyway, the whole "Fighting terror on the Web" farce is simple a cover for what their really trying to accomplish: Destroying the mediums of dissent. Without that, people like us have no way to voice our opinion.
Bush & Co. basically can't stand not having control over anything that can potentially be used against them.

The Internet is certainly on that list, dissent and alternative opinions are something the Administration doesn't want spreading unchecked.

The loose definition of "ideologies" is of course deliberate, just like their definitions of "Torture" and "Cruel and Unusual punishment" can include anything or nothing.

It's a blanket term so they can categorize any dissenting opinion against their policies as tantamount to "terrorism" or treason.

And... Don't forget one of the PNAC's crucial objectives for the 21st Century:

"CONTROL THE NEW “INTERNATIONAL COMMONS” OF SPACE AND “CYBERSPACE,"

And who made up the PNAC? The hawks, Republicans and Zionists within the Administration today like Cheney, Libby, Wolfowitz and Rumself.

They're turning white paper into policy people. Their enacting their long-desired dreams thanks to the Phantom Menace (Osama) and culture of fear they've helped to cultivate since Bush got elected.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
while the terrorism part may be true,,,,,,i think the gov't is really seeing the internet as enemy #1, because of the free flow of ideas, information,, and ability of a large number of people to communicate that otherwise couldn't and that is the big threat

people are catching on, paying attention and taking action, and through the guise of terrorism they can solve this problem

as great as we are miltarily and technology wise,,,,,i can't see how we are not capable of building secure computer systems and protecting sensitive info

also, what, terrorists can communicate through email,,,,are we to think this is a huge threat and our gov't can't intercept and eavesdrop, wiretap etc etc these communications,,,come on!!!!

the threat is americans are fed up,,,, we are watching,,,,and telling others,,,,like this thread and that is the real problem with the internet

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I probably shouldn't even respond - it seems pretty clear what the ideas of the folks are on this thread. But, you've got to be kidding me, right? No terrorism on the web? What planet do you live on? In fact, I just sent a whole slew of sites to some folks with instructions from these non-existent terrorists and jihadists on how to build bombs, disseminate poison - all kinds of things. Some in English, some not. But the pictures ands videos are pretty clear. They're not exactly advertised by the MSM.

And, it's not just idealism or political rhetoric they're concerned about. What they are concerned sbout is the threat to not only the united States, but any non-Islamic country. They are, after all, by the edicts of their prophet, to not only take over the rest of the world, but to destroy that which doesn't fit into their very narrow concept of what is correct. Just a little bit different than other ideologies, wouldn't you say? Couple that with religious zeal and the willingness to die and take a lot of people with you, and it's a heck of a lot different that adding a political party or changing the government or digging out a conspiracy.

People have this mistaken notion, just because many in Islamic countries live in the 12th century, that they are all computer illiterate. They're not. And the internet is the best and quickest way to disseminate ideas and information. To think watching for things like these are simply a ruse to listen to someone's politics and ideas about the government is asinine. Y'all sound pretty full of yourselves if you think this is the case. I may not have been posting on ATS, but have read the stuff from and on this site for years. There hasn't been one blessed thing I would really have considered a threat regarding the various conspiracy theories, or anything else. Even the "leaked" information.

But, the other stuff is very real. And, it doesn't just come from the Middle east.

As far as being on a watch list - considering things I write and the topics I write on, I wouldn't be surprised if I am. But, if I am, so what? I'm not doing anything wrong. In fact, I'd be more than happy for "them" to see what I wrote and where I go ...

But, as far as controlling what one sees - I've heard that in Australia, they are now considering that very thing. Of putting filters on what comes in. and, the cost will be born by the citizens using the internet in the form of an additional tax. What they plan to stop, I'm not really sure.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905

More fear mongering. This article leads me to believe that the internet as we know it will shortly be non-existent.

New laws should be considered "to prevent the spread of the ideology."
I find statements like that extremely unsettling......

What's your take?

www.courant.com

Here's my take:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Constitution

I think that preventing the transmission of ideas or ideologies is unconstitutional and any attempt to abridge, restrict or otherwise prohibit the free exchange of ideas, if successful, sets a precedent that will apply to any and all ideas with which the Governmental agencies do not agree.

It is a dangerous thing to deny the rights of the few. But if we, the people, allow it to happen, then we are no better than our oppressor. I have said it in other threads: I may not agree with what you say, but I will gladly fight for your right to say it.

top topics

join