It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One bright side to the global food crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Corn-Syrup Price Bolsters Sugar

online.wsj.com...

Rapid increases in high-fructose corn syrup prices will encourage a return to sugar usage in U.S. soft drinks and foods -- a move that is already gathering steam among consumers -- sugar industry members predict.

Hopefully, due to costs, this will at least put a temporary stop to the use of HFCS in our foods. I can only hope that this change would be permanent but I seriously doubt it.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
wow, crazy you brought this up,,,,,i can drink tons of mt dew a day and everyone is telling me,,,and i have learned just how bad the high fructose corn syrup is,,,,and it's even in the so called healthy drinks and what they want to brand as "better alternatives" to soda.

i am reading ron pauls book, a manifesto,,,,,and he talks of this exact issue. sugar should be cheap as dirt,,,, but because of a subsidcy to help a few,,, we all are penalized and there this is why hfcs is used over sugar,,,,because of helping a few we all pay $10-!5 dollars more for sugar a year,,,and pay the price thu use of hfcs over sugar.

there are limits and taxes on inported sugar apparently making it to expensive to use

our worthless gov't, subsidies, and welfare state hard at work,,,, of course the use of HFCS will help more people get diabetes and help big pharma and the health care machine,,,go big govt, & corp america,,,,screw the citizens,,,money,money, money

sometimes it really gets me,,,,,in many ways we are so screwed up and backwards,,,,it's not even laughable anymore ,,,,it is really sad

always enjoy your posts,,, hadn't seen u in a whuile

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

Thanks for the reply. You mention how sugar should be cheap. Due in part to the subsidies the govt has put in place, we have all but destroyed the sugar market in Hawaii. Most of the C&H sugar farms had to sell out and convert to some other crop. It would be nice if this reversion to sugar was long term. I really hope that it is.

Another odd note, Costco is now selling coca cola products from Mexico that are made with sugar instead of HFCS. It is more expensive than American coke. It just feels backwards to have to pay a premium for Mexican goods. When I was in Mexico, you could buy a coke for a dime. Crazy times.

join