It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS: America's Infrastructure Is Crumbling! (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

CBS: America's Infrastructure Is Crumbling! (video)

rawstory.com

Unless more funding and effort are put into saving the nation’s infrastructure, it will continue to crumble, say experts. An estimated $1.5 trillion over the next five years could be needed to avoid large-scale disaster.

“When infrastructure declines, we’re going to become a second-rate country,” says engineer and former New York City transportation commissioner “Gridlock Sam” Schwartz.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Isn't this terrific?

So as we send untold billions overseas each month to have Corporate Contractors rebuild the countries we've leveled, our infrastructure here at home crumbles into Never-Never Land. Awesome priorities our leaders have.

“No matter where you live, there are critical infrastructure issues,” says David Mongan, president of the American Society of Civil Engineers. “In some cities, bridges, roads, power lines, pipelines; are simply too old. In others, the explosive population growth has outpaced [their] infrastructure’s ability to satisfy the needs.”

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Second grade country, second? I joke around ever since your current President ‘won’ the elections back in 2K that America is nothing more than a banana republic with a very large army. America went down like a flaming fireball back then. But that was, by good tradition, dismissed as a weather balloon. Next it was nothing and now that it is in the open a whole country crashed, it’s still being rejected.

But hey for once here is some good news. The infrastructure is crumbling. Bridges and roads are not able to support your own tanks. That’s a relieve, knowing the way those chaps drive.

Always look at the bright side

**whistling**

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Corporate contractors who kick-back profits to the usurpers, who all
benefit from continuous war!!!

I gotta admit, here in WisCOMMUNISMsin, the roads are very decent;
(from increased tax assessments, and probation fees), and my power
and water and gas are still working! (but from how it sounds, paying my
bills isn't necessarily a guarantee, huh?)

But ILLINOIS roads are CRUMBLING!!! geeez, they're bad... almost like
the photo in your link!!!

Ya know somethin DD- I'd honestly rather receive a SOLAR set-up on my
roof; than a "economic stimulus" check....

Perhaps that's what I'll buy with mine!

Good thread, S & F!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Wait...this is CBS reporting, right?

Haven't we already established that the Main Stream Media is too quick to jump the gun on stating things like this? I am not [going to react to this horrid reporting!

They toss around words like infrastructure and trillion...the main audience is not going to have the desire to even envision what these concepts mean.

Infrastructure has many factors and variables attached to it.....all of our industries and the consumer dogpile is our infrastructure. They are not going away anytime soon.

Trillions will get spent...no problem. Does anyone here forget that less than a decade ago this country was operating under a surplus?

I implore the readers here to stop reacting to this mindless drivel....fear mongering at it's worst...

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

My prediction:

August 2008

CNN: BUSH RECALLS TROOPS FROM WAR ON TERROR IN ORDER TO DEAL WITH ECONOMIC RECESSION

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I implore the readers here to stop reacting to this mindless drivel....fear mongering at it's worst...

Fear mongering like the raising food prices
Fear mongering like the raising gas prices
Fear mongering like the recession or banking crisis
Fear mongering like the war in Iraq and the upcoming wars....

What you call fear mongering I call bringing up the problem before it becomes a problem. I remember when people even brought up the above it was fear mongering and no way it can happen here well guess what...I have news for you this is a problem and it is our soviet type attitude that will bring us down and that scares me. The soviets put all their money into military and not infrastructure and they crumbled from within. Wake up and dont be a sheeple people just because government says its ok doesnt mean it is

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
At this point, we all need to realize that some very serious changes are
occuring and we are all living in the most exiciting time in human history.
Many lives will be lost as with any major change in civilization but in the end, humanity will live in freedom from opression and discover our true potential. Please resist being fearful, as this will only add to our suffering.
Instead, embrace the coming change, as necessary to our growth and realize that without these coming hardships there will be no growth.
Please meditate on Love as you go thru your day and let God guide you.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Originally posted by mybigunit
What you call fear mongering I call bringing up the problem before it becomes a problem. I remember when people even brought up the above it was fear mongering and no way it can happen here well guess what...I have news for you this is a problem and it is our soviet type attitude that will bring us down and that scares me. The soviets put all their money into military and not infrastructure and they crumbled from within. Wake up and dont be a sheeple people just because government says its ok doesnt mean it is

And you think the solution is hearing people talk about it through a third person avenue of communication where [no direct solution is offered and let the government work it out?

Perhaps maybe like Bush?

Worrying about everything and continuing your daily routine is lame and unproductive. If we were to all actually do something about it, rather than sit around exclaiming how big the problem is, then perhaps we would have something.

Don't like the rising gas prices? Use public transit.

Don't like the rising food prices? By generic (and roughly the same ingredient listing anyways) food from your grocery store rather than [eating out all of the time.

Don't like the impending recession? Who says we aren't in one now and who says that you personally can't make decisions to financially secure yourself?

Don't like the war? Don't go to it

If everyone did the above...there would be different problems.

It's fear mongering when solutions are not provided. It's fear mongering when people are just told horror stories.

Relax. I just looked up and the sky is not falling. It's time we stopped listening to the people who are causing the problems...don't you think?

[edit on 11-5-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
You are assuming that everyone can just bypass all these things? What about here in Alaska where people are forced to buy fuel-oil or freeze to death? How are people supposed to get to work from areas with no mass transit? You can't ride a bike because you will probably get 3 feet and break your face after slipping on the ice. Your mode of thinking is good and simplistic but it doesn't account for what actually takes place in reality.

We as americans should just ignore everything if we don't agree with it? How is that even America?

In 4 months gas prices have risen 20 dollars per barrel and continue to skyrocket.. The main determining factors for gas prices
i.e..
1-The geopolitical situation
2-Supply and demand

Are not exactly looking peachy either. Supply already can't keep up with demand as demand is increasing due to developing countries like India and China, The goeopolitical situation isn't exactly a parade either. War in Iraq with no end on the horizon, Iran building a nuke and threatening to use it (another war?), The global food crisis, etc..
Don't think this will ever affect us in the U.S.? It already is. Although it doesn't exactly affect all americans yet, the situation will only get worse as oil prices continue to rise. Meanwhile Costco and sam's club will continue to ration rice and whatever else they are rationing right now, and if oil prices continue to rise the food situation will become more dire.

We all know that basic economics involves ups and downs. But the determining factors that decide what oil costs are not going to let up anytime soon. Supply will continue to fall short of global demand, the geopolitical situation will progress into who knows what.
Prove to me there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Meanwhile nothing resembling anything other than oil is in our future. We've seen nothing resembling an alternative energy movement and we will continue to be dependant on oil (let alone foreign oil). Even if an alternative energy movement begins, how are alternative energy companies supposed to compete fairly in the energy market with the big oil companies who already have a stranglehold on all of us?

And during all of this turmoil, the oil companies will make record profits as they continue to do. In the short term, fuel prices may go down, but the overall trend of oil prices is pretty friggin obvious when you look at this:
s6.photobucket.com...

Since oil prices have risen 20 dollars a barrel in 4 months (since oil hit $100 a barrel since January) if that trend is continued we will see double the prices we see now in 2 years. Could it happen sooner or later? Yes, however looking at oil prices since 1994, the question isn't if gas prices will double but when. If this continues it will happen in 24 months. Not saying that will happen, but it very well could seeing what has been going on.

-ChriS

[edit on 11-5-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 11-5-2008 by BlasteR]

new topics

top topics

join