It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible we know too much??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
THATS WHAT I WAS SAYING....new theories to prove and such....light sabers...time travel....

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I seriously doubt the world is going to end in 2012... scientifically speaking, it'll either happen very soon or well after then, but, right now, 2012 is looking to be in a sort of doldrum period, in between wars. Theologically speaking, if you think about it, it wouldn't make much sense for God to end just the one world when there's a whole lot more universe out there.

The Mayans didn't predict the world to end in 2012, really; that just marks the end of a 5000-year cycle or somesuch... I guess they figured they'd have plenty of time to get around to mapping out the 5000 years after the current cycle.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
THATS WHAT I WAS SAYING....new theories to prove and such....light sabers...time travel....

Ummm you are aware that 2012 is only 8 years away right? We've been working on Quantum Physics, Quantum Mechanics etc a lot longer than 8 years, I doubt there will be a sudden leap.

And I am going to ask a stupid stupid question regarding a light saber...I am assuming it would be some type of controled laser/phaser/plasma (if it existed) ummm how do you keep it one length? Be kinda like turning on a spotlight and trying to make the beam only go 3 feet instead of shooting straight out.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Ok, this post is about exactly what I was thinking about earlier tonight when I was reading Faceless' posting. He posted some awesome info.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I had to send him a U2U on it, and while I was writing it I started thinking about the possibility that we may be getting too smart. First, read what Faceless has posted (remember, it's not the catholic propoganda, it's direct hebrew translations).

Ok, so here we go. Faceless pointed out that apparently God just wanted a gardener, so he grabbed a homonid (fairly evolved and useful) to reside in his garden, etc. It appears that God was trying to keep the homonid ignorant (sounds like the USGov is playing God!) so that he could keep it working for him. Same thing ast the slave traders did. Once the slaves started realizing that stuff wasn't right they revolted, etc. Ok, so that was a quick jist of it...

So, I was thinking: IF god made man in his own likeness, maybe he screwed up and made man a bit TOO MUCH like him. He figured he could just keep man stupid and man would never realize that he is 'godlike'. How would he keep man stupid? Threats.

IF you sin, you will go to hell. This is hell (blah blah blah). Be scared! IF you do as I command, I will let you into my realm (heaven).

How do you get a kid to behave? 'IF you don't behave, you are grounded to your room. IF you are good, you get treats'.

So, that would make God an opressor, and Satan a truthbringer! 'god' has always told us that Satan lies! Don't believe him! He is the ultimate deciever! Such accusations... sounds to me like god is playing 'Not it!' and acting like a brat. "He broke that! He did it! It wasn't me!" Has Satan ever been known to do that? Has Satan ever REALLY been known to deceive, other than what God said?

WHY WOULD YOU ONLY TAKE ONE PERSON'S STORY?!? Why do you only take God's story then? This site is all about being open-minded, right? Yet I see people who still yell "because God said so!"...

Here's one philosophers should be familiar with:"Why do you believe in God? Because the bible tells you to. Why do you believe in the bible? Because it is god's word."

Starting to look to me like God isn't anything but a big talker. We are on the verge of being gods ourselves, and why is it such a bad thing to 'play god'? because it's god's command that we don't? Oh yeah... the christian nation thinks it's a bad idea to become 'like god'. Why would God make so many rediculous rules?

I think he's getting scared we'll get all 'X-Files' on him and find out the truth. Think Satan answers to an 'X' taped in a window? I really want to know the other side of the story.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Do we know too much?

A thoughtful reply would begin with the narrow bandpass we regard as our senses. It is no accident but the design of nature from the specifics of light proceeding from the solar engine.

From that knowledge one would always be right to claim ignorance, and even a struggle to explain anything, any reality to others.

Branching from that idea, one may peruse the typical UFO story, with mad cows and mad aliens draining their blood. Why even though these beings are "millions of years ahead of us," and travel amidst the stars, their science is totally imbalanced by comparison to even a modicum of the social graces. I would prefer a polite savage, I mean hello already!

One we realize in the mission of knowledge that when the hard sciences and cold profit motives outstrip everything decent in political science, then we realize our profound ignorance.

I mean is any authentic political theory suppressed like it was some kind of high mileage carburetor? Instead we get lunacy that spawns bloodthirsty tyrants.

Ignorance of the social graces is a worst enemy, I mean basic social graces to all human beings period, not simply those of any one Brahmin engaged with internecine quarrels dragging the world with it.

May one add, a genuine civility is our greatest strength, and both the "UFO aliens," and our governments appear to program themselves for failure on the broadest measure of what it is to have it and to do it.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

And I am going to ask a stupid stupid question regarding a light saber...I am assuming it would be some type of controled laser/phaser/plasma (if it existed) ummm how do you keep it one length? Be kinda like turning on a spotlight and trying to make the beam only go 3 feet instead of shooting straight out.

About 4 years ago there was a guy who successfully made a proton shoot to a certain distance before it stopped and returned to the emitter. Sounds overly fantastic, until you realize that energy can form 'memory' much like dice, cards, rechargeable batteries, and magnets. Apparently this was no 'light saber' (think the equipment alone was about the size of a large pickup truck) but it proved that possibly someday we could make one.

EDIT: Photon, not proton. My bad.

[Edited on 28-2-2004 by Earthscum]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman

May one add, a genuine civility is our greatest strength, and both the "UFO aliens," and our governments appear to program themselves for failure on the broadest measure of what it is to have it and to do it.

I have long held a theory (from taking everything I could apart when I was a kid to figure out HOW it worked) that goes like this:

"In order to perfect something, you must first know how to screw it up to the best of your abilities."

What this means is before you start something, take a good amount of time to figure out what COULD go wrong and why. Once you realize THAT, you can cover all your bases and be prepared to initiate your next plan of action in the case that something DOES go wrong.

Assume my idea (our idea) is right... expect God to come with a huge army during the apocolypse. So, now that we understand this, we can be prepared to go either way. If god shows himself to be what everyone THINKS he is, there will be no fighting. If he is the slave-driving, arrogant, self centered entity that I suspect he is, then we'd be prepared.

BTW, why would God say that when the apocolypse happens that you basically cannot escape it? Why would he even hint that some may die and that he will resurrect them from the ashes if they are worthy? Sounds like he's trying to keep everyone from fighting back. "Don't fight, just accept your fate!"

Also, if we were created in the likeness of god, why do we have such huge egos? Even the most selfless person in the world has some kind of inflated ego. If we didn't, we would've all commited suicide by now.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
"Assume my idea (our idea) is right... expect God to come with a huge army during the apocolypse. So, now that we understand this, we can be prepared to go either way. If god shows himself to be what everyone THINKS he is, there will be no fighting. If he is the slave-driving, arrogant, self centered entity that I suspect he is, then we'd be prepared"[quote from earthscum]

but what would happened if God of the bible and our religions is an "alien" and people don't accept him?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
if this thread esists, QUESTIONING the fact of whether or not we know too mch...then we obviously do not, in my mind. if we did, there would be no question.

knowledge is something created, used, and thrown out. certain things percieved as truth and knowledge 100 years ago are not seen in the same light today.

so maybe that time frame is simply shrinking. we still have the same amount of knowledge, we are just throwing it out and acquiring new knowledge every year, every month, every day.

whos to say this will last?

the renaissance didnt last forever, there was a period of blah. whos to say that the end of the world isnt coming, its just the period of blah?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Starting to look to me like God isn't anything but a big talker.

funnier still, in the bible, supposedly "gods word" god didnt do any of the talking. instead of "god saying so" we should be saying "because mathew mark luke or john said so"

hahahha!

when questions are still being asked, when we question the questions as much as we question what they are qestioning, we still dont know toomuch.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
We know what we have been told and we have been told only a fraction of what needs to be known.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
We know what we have been told and we have been told only a fraction of what needs to be known.

nice! neo, i actually agree with you!!!!

hmmmm...i better find some minor flaw to disagree with....oh!ok!

is it what NEEDS to be known? or what we simply DESIRE to know?

HA!

Q

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'd have to answer with a resounding "No" on this one.

Without resorting to bible quotes or Mayan calendars, my logic is this: If we were indeed intelligently created (again, not pointing fingers saying who or why), if there were things we're not meant to know, we wouldn't have been given the capacity to learn them.

Giraffes don't build nuclear subs, because that isn't what they were made to do. I can't nibble leaves from the tops of trees, because that isn't what I was made to do. If one were to make an animal pointedly designed to figure things out and learn, the human would seem to be the biggest success up to this point, with unlimited potential for the future (provided we do not misuse the knowledge we gain resulting in our own extinction).

On the counterpoint, if there was no intelligent design, there could be no boundaries set on what we were or weren't supposed to know.

Either way, the end result is the same.

Thomas Edison once commented on his 10,000 failed attempts to create the light bulb: "I did not have 10,000 failures, I merely eliminated 10,000 combinations that did not work."

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by Q]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Probably the way we are going to end is we are going to end up destroying our race.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
In a recent discussion with some friends, the theory that we know too much came up. What's this theory you ask?

Well, look at it this way, we humans have become a very advanced technological society in a very brief amount of time. Things that would have been considered impossible, miracles and magic are being done with the use of science...ex. cloning, space travel, etc. We no longer believe everything we are told, because we have technology and science to help us prove otherwise.

Could it be that those who created us knew that we would reach this state of advance technology by 2012 and we would realize that everything we thought was miraculous would be proven by our science by that time and lead us to either self destruction or face off with our creators?

Could it be that it was scientifically calculated that we would reach these technological advances in a given amount of time enabling societies such as the Mayans to conclude that the world would end on 12/21/2012?
I don't think we know enough, in terms of what our, as a humanity, race can accomplish with our technology.

We are very scientific and technologically advanced, and we realize the capabilities of this in having the ability to destroy life on this planet.

If God created humans to experience life, and humans are creating technology, and subsequently artifical intelligence, does this mean A.I is a creation of God, too? We are spawning, or creating, a metalic race of Artificial Intelligence to help us around. Maybe there is a purpose for all this technology, perhaps this AI is what is going to be the next race of beings on planet Earth, for anything that man creates, is also the creation of God, is it not?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The problem, as I was just saying in another thread, is that we have the knowledge, for incedence to create WMDs, but we have not reached the level of wisdom to use them positively or not to use them at all. We have learned to control a great many things in the past century, but still have not learned how to control our own egos and that will be our downfall.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
The problem, as I was just saying in another thread, is that we have the knowledge, for incedence to create WMDs, but we have not reached the level of wisdom to use them positively or not to use them at all. We have learned to control a great many things in the past century, but still have not learned how to control our own egos and that will be our downfall.

~*~??? WMDs used positively ??

Thanks Jonna

evidently we (collectively) know-not-much
because we are still bound by the 'Self-Regulating' clauses.

humanity is bound into cycles of activity-advancement-decline.
this time its our? technology? as the enforcer?
once it was the Plague, from overcrowding/sanitation etc
once it was the Inquisition
once it was the master race
once it was Asian Flu 1914?
once it was manifest destiny
**include many other sub-cycles & localized tribulations

Many 'self regulating' clauses result in the destruction of property & Lives....which in turn leads to new approaches to manage Around the Crises but never to resolve the causes!!... which build up...until a critical state of 'self regulation' is triggered to launch!

oh my, how the God and Elohim must be going..."tsk, tsk, tsk..... VEN VILL DAY LERN???"

~~**~~

Seeing as discovery, imagination, invention, inspiration.
, are not progressive linear timeline events...i hardly see that a calender based criteria would determine our (collective) moral, scientific, social, standing -> therefore a 2012 DEAD-line is only a Subjective Opinion.

HOWEVER, if a 'distant & knowledgeable' observer[God?], knows that a natural, physical event [gamma ray emmission] would effect terrestial men in the year corresponding to 2012....that would be credible to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

GOOOD! someone knows what i mean by the amazing differences between wisdom and knowledge.

with knowledge you are with eyes to look, with wisdom you are with soul to see

top topics

<< 1   >>

join