It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive Report: Soldiers 'Need Loans To Eat'!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Exclusive Report: Soldiers 'Need Loans To Eat'!

www.independent.co.uk

A highly sensitive internal report into the state of the British Army has revealed that many soldiers are living in poverty. Some are so poor that they are unable to eat and are forced to rely on emergency food voucher schemes set up by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Some of Britain's most senior military figures reacted angrily yesterday to the revelations in the report, criticising the Government's treatment of its fighting forces.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just when I think I've seen and heard it all with the sickening treatment of the soldiers who are helping to line the elitists pockets further with their blood, out comes a story like this that literally makes my stomach turn.

These guys are out there dying, and getting mentally f-ed up for life fighting in these oil wars, and this is how they are treated---Disgusting pay, and having to take out LOANS to eat!!

How much more can these maniacal greed-mongering leaders crap all over these guys? This whole entire farcical war brings out the epitome in the worst of cesspool that is war.

How anybody can still be cheering this on, or the upcoming invasions with Iran and Syria, makes me wonder about their mental health.

The analysis, described by General Dannatt as "a comprehensive and accurate portrayal of the views and concerns of the Army at large", states: "More and more single-income soldiers in the UK are now close to the UK government definition of poverty." It reveals that "a number of soldiers were not eating properly because they had run out of money by the end of the month". Commanders are attempting to tackle the problem through "Hungry Soldier" schemes, under which destitute soldiers are given loans to enable them to eat.

The scheme symbolises a change from the tradition of soldiers getting three square meals a day for free. Now hard-up soldiers have to fill out a form which entitles them to a voucher. The cost is deducted from their future wages, adding to the problems of soldiers on low pay.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
And this is "breaking news"???

Give me a "break", DD. The military has ALWAYS been paid crap wages for YEARS! This has nothing to do with Iraq/Bush/whatever.

When I was in high school in the 1980's, I read a story in the paper about military members in the DC area that had to go on foodstamps in order to have food for their families. Were these troops enlisted? Nope, junior OFFICERS! The last line in the paper said that if officers had to go on food stamps, imagine what the enlisted troops were having to go thru.

When I was a kid, my father was stationed at Andrews. He had to take a second job to support us, and he was receiving full active duty pay AND flying pay at the time.

Bad pay, bad living conditions, bad medical service isn't anything new to the military. This has been going on for generations.

But thanks for posting the story, tho.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Jericho-I know you don't agree with alot of my stances, but I have to ask(because you seem to be one of the few soldiers here who will give an honest answer, even if it is not with a "hard-line" stance):

How can you stay so supportive of such a system that treats you guys so crappy? I know you're a patriot, but part of me senses that you are also aware of some of these things that are outright just wrong.

Does any of this type of garbage ever make you wonder if these people who are handing down these agendas and orders truly give two sh**s about you guys?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I agree its like why are the soldiers satisfied? Why are they not marching in the streets? This is why I could not join the military...but anyways this disgusts me and Im glad it made the light of day. I hope some people start to make a stink about this.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, there's an easy answer to those questions:

Sometimes, you do things without thought of pay. If you want to be rich, you sure as hell don't join the military.

You join to serve, protect, for honor, discipline, familiy traditions, any number of values.

This was written by an SF Soldier I know, who can write WAY better than me, but I agree with it entirely:

"There are greater rewards, like every time you look in the mirror and know that you served with honor, that you and other like you stood together to stem the tide of terror and fear while others huddled behind protest signs and clouds of marijuana hurling insults at the very men and women that volunteered to stand between them and a gruesome beheading.

We have forever earned the right to be called a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine and the “reward” being that those men and women can take pride that fact that while some left wing liberal professor or journalist write down our exploits in some slanted fashion we take heart knowing it is these same left wing cowards are the same that if confronted by the same evil men would go out on their knees screaming like a three year old with their hair on fire begging for their lives.

While some read about our exploits, we and only we will be telling our children and grandchildren that it was us that faced the evil men while others read about it. It was us that made history and while history may not remember who wrote it, it does remember who fought, we will not be forgotten, ever."

Make sense? Move out, and draw fire!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Did anyone notice they are talking about the British military? I don't doubt that the American one is much different. I mean, are they??

But the topic of the article is not American

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Yep, I caught on to the fact that the article was talking about British Soldiers. Nothing new about them being paid crappy wages, either. I think they get paid worse than US troops.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

This is an growing trend on BAN.

Posters don't even bother to read the articles they post.

It's usually easy to spot this, because the poster will often pose a question regarding the story that is answered in the article that is cited.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Nice try, but no cigar.

In THIS CASE, this might be talking about the UK troops, but we have already seen how the U.S. gov treats it's own pal--with the crappy health care scenarios, and bullet proof vests, etc., etc., etc...

So my question had relevance, just not to someone like you who tries to paint rosey pictures on everything the gov does.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Then why didn't you post an article that supports your position, rather than posting one that illustrates nothing regarding the US government.

I actually have enough experience with the US government to know its strengths and weaknesses and I present those as honestly as I can.

I have enough experience to know when someone is just posting threads to get points or sway opinion at any cost, instead of seeking to enlighten.

Are you a girl? I think your slip is showing.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Actually, no you don't. You pretty much are a hard-core Bush-lover, who rarely admits that your hero, or your "party" does anything wrong. You come across as somebody with very vested interests.

Cute little attempt at the personal attack, but again, no cigar for you gov-guy.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Dimension, you forget yourself.

You do not know the benefits that age brings.

p.s; character-assassination is really off-putting, btw.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
As Jerico said, service men and women definitely serve for different reasons.

For all those people that I know who joined the military simply to get money for a higher education or to try to make more money have more often than not come out of it a few months in hating the service and wanting to leave. They simply have no will to jump in front of gun fire.

What makes a soldier is his/her willing to support their brother or sister in any way shape or form even if it means to die in the process. But at least when they die, they become heroes. We really can't forget who they are and what they do because that would be doing not only a grave injustice to them, but ourselves as well.

This hits home for me specifically because I want to join the Air Force in a few months to do TACP. I do want to join the ROMAD ranks, but I have to weigh in all the downsides. The difficulty of arriving to such a position, the relatively meager pay, the chance that I can't make it even though I believe my will to be strong, and the knowledge that there are people out there who will not appreciate the things I do because they don't know any better.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to go military, not to make money, but to serve. It'll be tough and I'd hate to think my country would make me go without food, but if they do then I'll make it some how. To me that's no excuse to not try because in the end it only makes me stronger than them.

If I die knowing I tried then that's all that matters. Call me naive and stupid for my beliefs, but it's what I believe and deep down I don't think I'll ever know otherwise until I've been there, done that. Who knows, there's a good chance my beliefs will change, it's all about being human.

De Opresso Libre.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It is a shame we have to read stories like this, about anyone's soldiers. It makes me sick to think of what our governments put these brave people through. I have it rough enough trying to work One forty hour a week job. I am not defending my country, I am playing with kids all day. I don't want to go work my days off just to eat, I would be exhausted. I cannot imagine being a soldier with the mental stress of that job, and then have to take a second job just to eat.

This may be "old' news, but to some posters here, this could be the first time they are hearing about. I note a lot of young posters on here, as a 39 y/o woman I of course have read stories like this before(my ex was in the first gulf war, so I also know how things were for him). But some of our younger members may not be aware of the types of hardships our governments put our soldiers through. I think our young people are our future, and they need to be aware of what kind of things are happening to our soldiers, on personal levels like this story depicts.

MBF

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My cousin went to Iraq in January 2005. When he left, he had not gotten paid since October 2004. He tried and tried to get the mess straight before he left, but couldn't. The answer was always "You are not in the system , but as soon as you leave we will get right on it and find out what the problem is.".

He called me in April 2005 and told me that his wife and kids were broke and didn't even have food in the house. I asked him if he wanted me to see if I could get something done about it and he said that that wouldn't hurt. I called congressmen, senators and even the white house. He called 3 or 4 days later and said that he didn't know what I did, but he had got a letter from George Bush apologizing for the situation and promising that it would be resolved by his next pay period, and it was.

There was no excuse for something like this happening. He was putting his life on the line and was hit by IED's five times and was refused a Purple Heart and Bronze Star that he deserved.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
when i was 19 my mother got real sick and had to be hospitalized. a marine family took me in for a couple of months. me and there son worked construction the dad was a gunny seargent it took his sons and his combined income to pay for his dad and mom and 2 sistersand him.
i helped out of course/ but they were getting foodstamps and handouts called commodities the so called goverment cheese and so forth. there monthly groceries consitstied of mostly ramen noodles and egg sandwhiches . whenever dad got deployed it got worse because marines would take back money out of his pay saying they were feeding him and giving him shelter. both uk and us goverjments suck when it comes to paying service men hell i don't even think royal navy gives out pusser rum rations any more.]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
When i was in the military in the 90s, i never went without food but i was single.
The mess halls on the base served all you could eat, anyway you like it food for free.
but trying to live on a budget with a family in the military, i dont think i would of made it, even with the extra pay i was getting.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Optix]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yes its true the UK has a voucher system for its soldiers' rations, my brother is a UK minister and confirmed it, but America is not that much better.

We pay better during your time in service but afterwards- lookout. I served 6 years, doing everything from being a Beret to standing watch over the nukes in silos and bombers, and thought my honorable discharge would open doors.

If it weren't for the VA, I'd have been on the streets by now. As is, my healthcare is worse than the proposed universal healthcare, my pension will only pay for my utilities, and I'm on Food Assistance because I only make $800+ a month.

I'm proud to have served, but not proud of the aftermath. I'm classified as Poor in the USA, UK, Canada, and 20 other civilized nations. I don't see Obama bin Laden doing much good for my future either. In fact, I'm so poor I can't even pay attention sometimes.

Now what was the topic again?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The sad truth is that military familys have been on foodstamps and welfare for years. Typical military lifestyles are below the poverty line.
And now I cannot imagine what those familys are going through to survive.
Is it not enough to sacrifice for your country, do you have to have your family humiliated and deprived in the process? And for those who come back broken, the troubles only deepen.

top topics

join