It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender Icon below Avatar in Forum needed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hi folks,

Seems like i have crush on some people here
but not sure if they are male or female *bump* ..... hehe... i am straight male and i don't wanna have any surprises later... so i request you please have gender option icon below the user avatar

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Too right, i would have to agree that a gender identification icon of some sort is something thats missing and would be a great addition

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

People can lie about their gender, so by relying on a gender icon you might still get a surprise

Nice idea tho..

P.s cool avatar you got there..

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Some people dont want others to know - they want to be heard for what they say...not by their sex.

ATS isnt a dating service... there are plenty of those.

(of course that doesnt mean its not possible to meet your significant other here.)

Next people will want to know birthdates, etc.

Peace

dAlen

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I urge everyone to take another look at our Terms and Conditions, paying particular attention to the following statement:

2h.) Public Affection: Explicit or overt displays of affection towards other members seen by staff as being disruptive to the board are strictly forbidden. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and possible termination of your account.

Please keep this, and all of our other Terms and Conditions in mind when posting here at ATS.

Thank you for your time.

TheBorg
Forum Moderator

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Good point made TheBorg.

I guess gender identification is of interest more in BTS than ATS.

With some its obvious what gender they are...others they´ll just have to ask.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I would say that it is a good idea on sites that cater to that and maybe BTS, however if the OP can't figure out a members gender and really wants to know them perhaps he should give it enough time and read all their posts.

Eventually at some point in time most of the people here have stated their gender one way or another or at least you can figure it out most definitely from what they talk about.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
they stick you on pencils

don't ask...

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Theres an old saying - "Never judge a book by its cover"

I see avatars as a mix of things they can show the expression of the persons thoughts, likes/dislikes, artistic abilities, eye-candy, fandom - you name it - theres many other reasons.

My current one, for example, is artwork. Previously I have had avatars of Nicola Roberts from Girls Aloud, an avatar with Moon Knight (one of the bext drawn comics ever) and the club crest of Liverpool FC.

If you want to know someones gender, just ask them

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Have any Mod/Super Mod posts been completely removed from this thread ?

Either that or I'm imagining things. Didn't a Super Mod post in this thread ? Something about the time of year and young men's thoughts drifting to other things ? Where did that post go ?

It's ceased to exist. Why ?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Charity

yes, I did and deleted it within seconds.

The reason? I thought it a trite comment and not deserving to the question at hand.

Therefore I removed it.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I was just joking about Crush man!!! i did not mean it...

i know it's not the place for finding potential spouse or date

however i think a gender icon can help you understand better someone expression displayed in one's post..... and would help correctly judge what the poster did actually mean it won't be a big deal though... but in my opinion would nice addition if made just my 2cents!!!!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
We all should change our user names to....PAT or TONY or some other non discripte name

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

If you want to know someones gender, just ask them

i know you are a MOD and making joke of you could lead to serious consequences to my account ... however i guess you are female right...

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It could be an option/optional check mark in the member center. I mean it can really REALLY get imbarassing when you think that someone has posted their actual picture and it's not them at all.

I can see the staff's point of view as well. As far as the T&Cs go and just asking however that in itself can be rude.

quote by LOYAL:

i know you are a MOD and making joke of you could lead to serious consequences to my account ... however i guess you are female right...

Joking around with the mods is fun if you do it in the right way it can even be appreciated. These guys are members too.

But I agree that perhaps a little gender icon can relieve a lot of confusion and embarassment.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
It could be an option/optional check mark in the member center. I mean it can really REALLY get imbarassing when you think that someone has posted their actual picture and it's not them at all.

Joking around with the mods is fun if you do it in the right way it can even be appreciated. These guys are members too.

Yeah this idea came to my mind when i was visiting members photo thread .. right there i was so surprised that the guys i used to believe are 16 yrs old female were actually 70 years old men

Well, i know it is fun and i was actually joking that mod in a humble way.. it's been few days since i signed up here.. i really LOVVVVVVVVE to make joke of Mods .... kindda of guy who passed by a Cops and saying something to him and then hurriedly leaving the scene hehehe....

[edit on 11-5-2008 by LOYAL]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This ain't myspace/facebook or any eharmonicrap type website.

but

17/f/cali

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
well i can see ONE useful reason to have a gender icon, but past that i really dont care.

that one reason is all too often i see some post in reply to someone, usually a little bit of a "spirited" post, along the line of "man/dude yadda yadda yadda" to which the other person will reply "well, im not a man but yadda yadda yadda" so since many men make the mistake of assuming anyone they are talking to online is also a man it could clear things up from time to time.

also, since men and women tend to react to, and comment on things differently, having a distinction might be useful for understanding the tone or point of view of a post as it can be so hard to determine that from cold text. i dont say this as a generalization so much as a personal observation.

just my few grams of copper

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
I urge everyone to take another look at our and Conditions

2h.) Public Affection: Explicit or overt displays of affection towards other members seen by staff as being disruptive to the board are strictly forbidden. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and possible termination of your account.

TheBorg
Forum Moderator

Huh?

Some people seem to have been off in the Delta Quadrant and not in touch with certain events in BTS.

--------
On a different note, ISTM, avatars come in two basic varieties; Sexy and Funny.

Many 'guys' want to see a cute avatar when they log onto their account so they choose females, like Bodrul does.

Some 'females' seem to want to see their favorite movie or TV star, and choose a male, like Shar does.

In fact, it kind of eludes me why a 'guy' would want an avatar of another guy, particularly something like a WWE wrasslin' star, but I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Funny kind of includes everything else. You have 'amusing' funny, or LOL funny, and even serio-funny that may be serious to the user, but funny (unintentional) to most everyone else.

I suppose you could add other basic types of avatars, such as 'Themes' (including landscapes or politics, etc.), or 'Sci-Fi'/Space/Science, since I've seen a lot of those here.

At any rate, though the subject of this thread doesn't offend me, my preference is to keep ATS as a meeting of minds.

2 cents.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I don't think talking to a male or female will make me see them different, but it IS nice to know who you are talking to, sometimes things are clearer and you have less misunderstandings when you know your talking to a male or female.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join