It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orange County: It's not like what you see on TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Orange County: It's not like what you see on TV

realestate.msn.com

The reality of a real-estate industry in the tank, job losses, foreclosed homes and empty office space is a far cry from the glitz and fantasy of popular TV shows set in the California county.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Has this been posted?? I really don't know, but it's hard to believe that even more wealthy areas are going through this.

A little more:

Even now, big cities such as Irvine and Anaheim are a far cry from more beleaguered locales such Cleveland and Detroit. While the county's 3,300 foreclosure filings in March were three times what they were a year ago, on a percentage basis Orange County is doing better than neighboring regions. In nearby Riverside and San Bernardino counties, 8% and 6% of homes are in the foreclosure process, versus just 2.4% in Orange County, according to research by market tracker Default Research. Moreover, the median sale price of a home, while down 14% to just under $600,000, is holding up better than the statewide fall of 26%.

realestate.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-5-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Its rough everywhere.. I remember moving out to Orange county in 2002 and seeing the home prices pratically double.. I knew it was too good to be true... Everyone out there was buying $50,000 cars with cash from thier home equity loans.. I know, I sold cars out there... In a way I don't feel too sorry for the people that did stuff like that while the broke folks like me struggled to rent something... I know that sounds evil of me.. but I knew it could not sustain that level of price adjustment...

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I lived there in the late 60's early 70's. I remember when there were still Orange Groves. Are there still any left? I miss the beach.

Huntington Beach, my parents bought their first house there for 19,900 in about 1967. Wonder what it's worth today?

[edit on 11-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
But LG. Another member on a similar thread just told me people are in a *(&hole because they don't get off their arses and work and that there is no problem. Surely he wouldn't be less than truthful with me would he?
And that old sick people living on ramen noodles should shut off their 15 dollar a month dial up and sell their computer so they could eat more than once a day.
I have never, ever been so repulsed by such ignorance. It really does take a village. A village of what I'm not sure.
Things are bad all over. And getting worse. Breathe John, breathe. Ok, I think I got a handle on it now. Ugh.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

There are a bunch of malls and office parks over what used to be the orange groves. I think

Anyhow I process some of my work at an office in Aliso Veijo and San Clemente. Those areas are still rather wealthy though but I don't know how much of it is real.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I don't know how not to take offense to people who automatically jump all over people who are having a hard time, to give up their internet.

It's been here for me since I was a kid. I've got connection to friends and family I wouldn't, otherwise. Sure, I for one feel "entitled" to it.

How hypocritical while sitting on the 'net, to tell someone else to get rid of it. I always felt a familiar "community" type connection. As well as an important connection to the world. Everyone should be welcome, without question, in my opinion.

Just how I feel. But to keep on topic to the thread, seems like the working class with insanely expensive homes and cars are suffering too. Didn't they get off their arses and work to get everything they had? How is that saving them now?

EDIT: to protect myself..

[edit on 11-5-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I over reacted and edited myself. But it was still a steely cold thing to say. The internet is some old folks window to the world, especially if their housebound. I just took it wrong.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Like any other areas OC has it's bad areas too,try Santa Ana or Midway City,in the old days used to be a place to buy homes cheap in the 60's mostly of people from mid west,but the beaches were always cool when I was a teen used to surf the Huntington Cliffs,bought my 1st board from Jack's on Main st huntington Beach

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There is that small chance that using the internet is the only way to find out what is actually happening in the country and world. Lose the TV before the internet.

new topics

top topics

join