It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

...a good lawyer would probably have been able to prevent that.

So in other words, poor people get #ed every which way and there is no justice for them.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BarrySeward

Thanks for posting that link to your blog Barry. I'm posting the relevant comment from the sister below.

A little more insight into the story, from Brian's sister....

Brian and Brittany's mother were never married. They had children at a young age, and eventually split up. In his early twenties, Brian fought for and won custody of his two daughters, ages 3 and 1. He met and married a wonderful single mom, and from there they raised their blended family under one roof. Of course not without obstacles thrown in their way. Through the years his daughters had to learn to say, "No, I live with my DAD!"

Brittany, the middle child in this blended family, had not only truancy but delinquency problems during her teen years. Brian & his wife tried everything to help Brittany, including involving the police, which is how the courts became involved with this family.

At 16 Brittany got pregnant and had the baby shortly after she turned 17. This also put a wrench in her education. Brittany continually begged her father to let her go live with her mother, and he eventually gave in, hoping Brittany would continue her schooling there. She enrolled in a new school, but that didn't last, either.

Was allowing Brittany to live with her mother a wise choice? Hindsight is 20/20. One thing I can say about my brother is he always wanted what was best for his girls, and he was hoping it was best for a troubled Brittany and her new baby to live with her mother. Many, many people told him to give parental custody of Brittany, at the age of 17, to her mother, but he simply couldn't do it.

Anyway....
Brittany had sporadic court dates about her truancy through all this. It was June 2007 when the judge told Brian he would be go to jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor if Brittany did not return to school in the Fall. Brittany turned 18 yrs old August 2007 and was enrolled in school, but did not attend because she was "18".

She returned to juvenile court, although she was now 18, on August 29th. The court then ordered her father to take Brittany out of school, and told Brittany to get her GED before the next court date or her father would go to jail.

So, the court was ordering an 18 year old to make a choice, get your GED or your father goes to jail. Now you have to imagine all the possible scenarios. What if she should care less about her father and decided not to get her GED? The judge never said....get your GED or YOU go to jail. I think Brittany did not believe that the judge would seriously throw her father in jail, so she procrastinated. Brittany loves her Dad but she has the thought process of a teenager.

By the next court date, March 2008, Brittany had been taking GED classes, but by the May 7th court hearing, she had no luck passing the math portion of the test, and that's when her Dad was whisked off to jail for six months. No options to pay a fine, probation, house arrest, or community service.

Btw, Brittany's mother owes over $15,000 in back child support. Has she ever spent a night in jail because of it? Of course not.

It's always nice to have some context to a situation and this definitely adds some perspective to the case.

To hotbakedtater who stated earlier:
"The father in this case, was court ordered to educate his child. If he found it too hard to do, all he had to do was call juvenile probation officers, and they would have made sure the child was educated.

Please note that the father DID involve the police in an effort to get a handle on his daughters truancy and look where THAT got him.....

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The judge is an idiot and after a few thousand emails telling him what a moron he is maybe he will see the light. It is illegal to order someone top jail for contempt when the father could not form the intent to disobey the order. If his desires were fulfilled, the girl would finish her GED and get out of his hair.

But this judge, full or power trips and I guarantee you was a former prosecutor....I bet a buck he was...he has a need to act tough and be a bully while hiding behind his robes...in person he no doubt is a winmy nerd that has never been....well, never mind.

Judges like this should be disbarred....the father did not break any laws...his adult daughter is trying to finish her GED, and all the stupid judge had to do was give them more time....simple.

Sounds like this judge needs to be sanctioned.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

they will continue to jail you for any reason until someone does something aobut it. like the no knock law which i did not know was reinstated. back in the 70's they had the same thing which was soon stopped repealed by the people. they want in some states to jail a parent and have done so for sch. skipping. bad enough they have us living hand to mouth working two jobs too tired to look up now they are pushing the envelope with the "new" generation who has yet to feel their force due to complacency.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The only way I can see this working is because if the daughter got in trouble, which would have caused the court order to be put in place. I suppose what happened is that he did not have her get her GED which was probably part of whatever the intiial court case was, and in not doing so broke the law, which is probably essentially true, but 6 mos, and how can you force someone to get their GED, and more than that why does she not want to get her GED, you need at least that these days, and its not even hard to do.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Annie Mossity

Age itself does not constitute being an adult. There are many factors to be considered here. How was this child nurtured during her formative years? Did she have proper guidance or was she just allowed to "grow up"? It is past time for a child protective agency to step in and evaluate the situation and make its recommendations. and/or take steps to correct this sad situation.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Just wanted to update this thread with the latest information.

Brian Gegner, the father who was jailed because his daughter wasn't able to pass the math portion of her GED was released on condition that his 18 year old daughter enroll in a GED preparatory class and schedule her GED test before the next court date.

Originally, Butler County Juvenile Court Judge David Niehaus, sentenced him to 180 and days because of truancy that occurred while the teen was living with her mother.

We applaud the fact that the judge let Brian out of jail and we applaud the ideals of education, however, we strongly disagree with the fact that a fathers freedom still depends on what his 18, almost 19, year old daughter does now.

Source

I still do not understand why, if the court is so adamant about the daughter getting a GED, it does not place the threat of jail upon her. She is now an adult and her father should be released from all liability from her actions.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Its none of the courts god damn business what people do in their private lives. Court rooms now a days are fricken jokes beyond belief. What ever happened to going to court for crimes?

Courts these days remind me of the mainstream media. A joke.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The lesson here is that when the court issues an order, it is better to follow that order than it is to suffer the consequences.

You've got to be kidding me?

As if anyone SHOULD ever have to follow THAT court order!

This is plainly ridiculous.

I'm trying to decide if this case is worse than the one where the passenger was stopped at an airport for wearing a Transformers t-shirt (with a gun on it) for being a possible security risk. Seriously, this whole world is screwed and it's the LAW that's doing it!

Screw judges, screw the law, screw whatever some authority tries telling people what to do! Arrggghhh!!! When will people wake up to this crap???

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sounds to me like this guy ticked somebody off. What’s next, judges commanding those they don’t like to sprout wings and fly, and prison time if you don’t succeed? Power hunger on the cusp of madness.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The lesson here is that when the court issues an order, it is better to follow that order than it is to suffer the consequences.
[edit on 2008/5/10 by GradyPhilpott]

Wrong.

The lesson here is that the legal system in this country is a joke.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by vinrock
The lesson here is that the legal system in this country is a joke.

Exactly.

That judge should be subjected to a court order of an equally stupid magnitude so he can see how much it stuffs up his life!

I can see in the future, that some judges will be hunted down and made to pay by families of people who are persecuted by them.

I still find it impossible to believe that a judge thinks that he has the power to screw a man's life over in such a way, without any repercussions!

This is nuts. No judge is ever going to give me such an order and get away with it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join