It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Justice is dead.

I don't know about there, but in NY you can drop out of school at sixteen. At that age you can also emancipate yourself, and be tried as an adult for crimes.

This is a clear miscarriage of justice that the systems feeds on. The judge is hoping that this guy will lose his job, rob a bank, and become yet another sacrifice to the beast.
Exactly Props to you my friend.
They are all corrupt.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I am going to have to disagree with you. When my teen was 14, he refused to wake up in the morning to go to school. I refused to drag him kicking and screaming, so I called the cops to do it for me. I also placed him on probation to show him school and education are important.

The father in this case, was court ordered to educate his child. If he found it too hard to do, all he had to do was call juvenile probation officers, and they would have made sure the child was educated. The dad had choices, he failed to make the proper ones, and not only violated a court order, most sadly of all, he let his child down by NOT making education a priority for her.

I am 100 percent fine with the man being jailed.

My son is 17 now and our solution was alternative school. Now my son makes all A's, and tests out at a 12.9th grade level on his entrance(tabe)test. Boy is smarter than his mom now!! I think it IS a crime to neglect your child's basic fundamental education.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
He was being made an example of so his peers would step back in line.

I have been there long ago. I used to sell cars and was the guy the dealership had on TV representing the dealership. I got caught going really fast on a motorcycle and got pinned with fleeing and eluding that was a 2 year prison sentence with a felony.

The prosecutor told my lawyer that too many people were running from the cops so me being high profile in the community they said I as going to be "there poster boy" to make the guys on fast bikes think twice about fleeing.

I bet the same thing is happening to this guy. I had to fire my lawyer, re-mortgage my home and buy the best lawyer in the mid-west.

They played ball quite nicely then, and my lawyer sucked my bank account clean.

Its all about "sending a message". He has been tagged as being "it".

[edit on 11-5-2008 by LoneGunMan]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Last I looked a high school deploma was not a requirement for citizenship.
Not even the required minimum education. Eighth grade is the minimum.

My father did not have one, and he was a superintendant in a large American city. Most people who were of WWII vintage to my understanding did not have one.

Failure to have one was not a crime.

Ignorance was not punishable.

The parent was the guardian of the child.

America was not a dictatorship.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by chise61

I am going to have to disagree with you. When my teen was 14, he refused to wake up in the morning to go to school. I refused to drag him kicking and screaming, so I called the cops to do it for me. I also placed him on probation to show him school and education are important.

The father in this case, was court ordered to educate his child. If he found it too hard to do, all he had to do was call juvenile probation officers, and they would have made sure the child was educated. The dad had choices, he failed to make the proper ones, and not only violated a court order, most sadly of all, he let his child down by NOT making education a priority for her.

My son is 17 now and our solution was alternative school. Now my son makes all A's, and tests out at a 12.9th grade level on his entrance(tabe)test. Boy is smarter than his mom now!! I think it IS a crime to neglect your child's basic fundamental education.

We don't actually know if he "Refused to educate his child." As someone who has taken the GED test I can tell you that basic 8th grade math will get you past the math part (which she failed) so again, you can't force your kid to be smarter, if they don't get the material, or if they are just plain stupid, there is only so much you can do.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The thing that irks me about this particular case is that the father is being held to a much higher standard than the norm. How many parents face 6 months of jail time if their child fails to obtain a GED? I would dare say VERY few. I take issue with our judicial system when it applies selective enforcment upon citizens.

Why should this particular father spend six months of his life in jail (which could cost him his job and his home, and in general completely derail his life) when there are thousands upon thousands of parents out there with children who have not and will never obtain a GED?

I would compare this to a situation where 99% of jaywalking violators recieve a ticket, but that last 1% recieves jail time (not a perfect analogy, but do you see the inequity here)?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

We are a nation of laws. The laws need to be evenly applied.

A judge must ensure the law is applied evenly.
Can the judge have him locked up? Without a doubt.

Is it legal, only if the "law" is the arbitrary will of the judge.

In which case it is legal, but we have no laws.
Only Judges to rule over us.

By what power can a judge court order a higher standard for this parent and child than is stated by law for any other child and parent of the land?

The judge can hold people to the standards of the land. That is their role.
Not higher standards.

Of course this all assumes that we have all the information and it is correct. That would be presumptuous. I surely hope the article was off base. My experience is that most articles are off base.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Stop blaming teachers for the failure of education. The parents are the ones who need to shoulder the blame. Teachers cannot in the little time they have with children make up for all the bad parenting they get the rest of the time.

And yet teachers and school administrators wield vast amounts of political powers and enjoy large government funding.

Public teachers whine about large class sizes and longer school days. Then they turn around and whine about not being payed enough. Look around. How come a nun in some private school living on squat can teach seemingly a lot better than an overpriced teacher with nary a complaint? How come home schooled kids learn better on average than public educated kids? Why do you think parents that can afford to shell out the cash for private school do so?

Of course parents are responsible for the upbringing of kids but more and more the government is trying to interfere with that responsibility. If a government forces a parent to send their kids to a crappy school, whose fault is that?

I am going to keep blaming teachers and I say they should be jailed and fined alongside neglectful parents.

BTW, who spends more time with kids these days again? It seems that parents are working longer hours just to make it. A child spends a substantial amount of time with the person who gets paid with my tax dollars to teach. It seems that (public) teachers are more concerned about their own interests than with the students.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I am so upset about this decision.

I posted a link to this article on my blog and Brians sister left an extensive comment providing much more insight into the story. After you read her comments you will be even more frustrated with this decision. You can view the original article and her comments at this link:

barryseward.com...

After you read the article and comments please use the link to email the Gov. of Ohio and let him now how you feel, maybe he will have the common sense to fix the situation.

If the above link doesn't work go to www.BarrySeward.com and scroll to the bottom. (you'll have to click on view comments to read his sisters comment)

Thank You,

Barry Seward
BarrySeward.com

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
Why should this particular father spend six months of his life in jail (which could cost him his job and his home, and in general completely derail his life) when there are thousands upon thousands of parents out there with children who have not and will never obtain a GED?

He probably did something to cross the judge. Maybe he gave the judge attitude and the judge decided to fix it by making him spend some nights with Big Mama?

Maybe he was witnessed to be at the bar all the time?

There could be any number of reasons.

I bet the its because the guy was white. (By the way, is he white?)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is either going to have to end one of two ways.

1. The father is hereby not accountable for his daughters actions, and that sets the precedent that no parent is accountable for a child's actions, and children are ALL to be tried as adults in order to retain disciplinary measures.

or

2. The parents ability to use physical force against their children is restored in order to form a disciplinary chain of command within the family, in which the parents can be held accountable for failures to maintain strict control over the children.

Neither of these options is very enjoyable.

There's a reason no other judge has treaded on these issues... because it's a Pandora's box of legal precedences that no-body wanted to open.

Good job Mr. Retard Judge.

Everyone in that state should see to it that the judge is removed from his position, effective immediately.

And you're right... the daughter can't be sent to jail for not obtaining her GED, so how does it make sense that the father gets imprisoned for a non-crime.
Nobody has broken the law here...
If you want to pin the blame on anyone... there has likely been some gross incompetence in the school faculty.
Most children won't just give up, unless their educational environment has led them to believe they should.

[EDIT]
One quick question...

When did the free world decide acting like communist china was a good idea?

There are similar issues in China at the moment. Parents are subject to imprisonment for their children's actions, or failures.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by johnsky]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I understand and agree with what you're saying as far as talking about a 14 year old child that you have custody of. However this was not the case here. When the girl was 16 and not going to school she was in the mother's custody, NOT the fathers.

The judge didn't issue the order to the father until almost three years later when the girl was 18, had a child of her own and was no longer a minor. The girl was taking G.E.D. classes and took the test, but failed the math exam. Would you have the father take the test for her? Maybe she has an undiagnosed learning disability in the subject of math.

You actually agree that the man should be locked up for six months and maybe lose his job because his daughter didn't pass one part of the G.E.D. exam? You may have been able to make your 14 year old son to go to school, but should you have been locked up for six months because he failed a test? If you really agree with the sentence, then maybe you should reread the article, because it is the mother who failed to make sure that the child received an education, not the father. Her father did not fail her, her mother did.

There's an old saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. The girl was 18 years old, he could force her to go to school sure, but tell me how could he have possibly have forced her to learn?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by chise61

The father in this case, was court ordered to educate his child.

First of all what right does the judge have to order the man to educate his child? Is the judge the father? No. The judge stepped way over the line on this. A child is not government or court property if thats what you are thinking.

A parent has the right to home school a child as well. If the parent wants to slack on the homeschooling it is his or her right.

To note she was 16 at the time of the incident. By law she can walk out of the school say **** you to the staff and do as she pleases.

Please tell me what law was broken in the first place and we'll talk.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by CPYKOmega]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BarrySeward

Hey barry, Thanks for the link to email the governor of Ohio. I have sent him an email asking him to look into this case and fix this gross miscarriage of justice.

I hope all of you that feel this man did not deserve this sentence will do the same. We may not be able to change anything, but i'm hoping if enough of us email the governor he will take notice and right this wrong. This is a chance for us to do something other than sit back and complain. A chance for us to do something other than sit back and watch while these power hungry judges lock up another man quilty of no crime, a chance for our voices to be heard.

Barry since you are in contact with Brian's sister will you please keep us informed as to whether or not the emails helped him. If this thread should be closed, please feel free to u2u the updates to me.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Wooh, if something like this could happen in my country my Parents would be absolutely lumbered. I don't even have my 15/16yo (Year 11) qualifications let alone my 18yo (Year 13) ones.

My folks would probably get extra time inside just because I missed 3 months of Year 9 due to lack of placements after a house move and the inability to find a house visiting teacher capable of keeping tabs on me long enough to stop me heading out of the house to collect mineral (Usually items left behind from old transport networks (quite a few samples of Quartz and Anthracite) samples and Geographical note taking when I knew Math was going to be taught.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Marshall Ormus]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The parents should do what my parents did: made me get a summer job @ 15 working on a farm slinging hay bales for $5 an hour under the table. Nothing like 12 hour days of back breaking labor in a 110 degree barn to get you to appreciate the need to graduate HS and go to college.

Of course, I guess those are jobs that no Americans want to do anymore....

As for the guy being jailed, my gut tells me that isn't right, but I have a feeling there's more to the story, otherwise the guy should be able to just appeal and get the ruling overturned since its patently absurd. Another judge should be able to easily see that.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I wonder if there is more to this story. Is this all about her being a truant? The judge claimed the father was contributing to the deliquency of a minor so I suspect she may have done more than just skipped school, and the records are now sealed.

She had a presumably illigimate child, and she is now 19 without a GED. Who is paying for her kid? Is it her parents? Or is she on welfare? I for one do NOT want to support her and her illigimate offspring with my tax dollars.

Plenty of parents are raising thugs that get arrested several times before they are 18, and I think the Judges SHOULD hold the parents responsible for their wilding youth. The parents choose to have these kids, and if they can’t bother to raise them right, if they are busy breeding offspring that will be worthless at best or criminal at worst, they should be held accountable.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Look up the name Marvin Bryer, and you will see what motivates judges. He spent a great deal of money assisting his daughter against CPS, and then found out that much of the revenue from tickets and donations goes to a judges association slush fund which is tax exempt.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MacSen191

thinking over what you say about being suicidal while in school and the last thing on your mind was to pass a math test--------i too was suicidal while at school------i was ok till being drug there for the first time but the entire time there i hated every second of it till no longer having to be there ever again-----the desire to be dead ended with that day of freedom from what to me seemed like a prison sentence being over with.

why does the government insist on forcing us all to be the same---when we are not ?if i had been in a trade school at an early age i probably would have been perfectly content but instead they wasted all those years of academic school on me when i couldn't care less about it and had to start all over again by doing what i wanted to do once i got out of there.

the last thing i would want to be is a teacher like the teachers i was stuck with whose job seems to be teaching future school teachers to be teachers-----not about us earning a living in the real world.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

No, as i stated jack i am not for the jailing of the father...BUT that someone else WILL BE punished in the form of THE PEOPLE..(tax payers) when her lazy behind files for welfare or other handouts because she can't get a job...then I have to work to support her because her DAD didn't force her to work at passing the exam, and because she was to lazy too....

Ever stop to think that maybe it is the puclic school system that is to blame here, that society has failed her?

For all we know, she was staying with her mother because the father was working 80 hours a week just to put food in their mouths. In that case, when would he have the time to sit down and teach her math?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join