It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite Massive Job Losses, Hillary/McCain Still Support Gas Tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Is this what people want?

Is this what 'experience' does?

Despite all the economists that say this is a BAD idea, Hillary and McCain still push for this gas tax. Do they think they know better?

In Washington alone, they estimate 4300 jobs lost if we go through with the gas tax.

A failing economy, and Hillary/McCain's idea is to save people $30 at the cost of thousands of jobs.

Why? Why support this?

The gas tax holiday proposed by Sens. John McCain and Hillary Clinton would save the typical Washington driver $28 this year but cost the state about $126 million in lost highway money and more than 4,300 highway-related jobs, according to a recent report.

SRC: seattlepi.nwsource.com...

[edit on 5/10/2008 by bigbert81]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/10/2008 by Gools]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's called POLITICS. Gullible people will vote for any clown who will cut taxes..... "It ain't botherin' me so lets cut em'"

Obama has told people this is nothing but a gimmick for votes. Who listens?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's a shell con game. Give the people what they think they want. It's flawed in every way and will end up costing more guaranteed. Barak has been the only voice of reason and knows that fundamental changes are needed, not temporary bandaids. That is why he will get my vote. He hasn't even ducked sniper fire shooting hoops.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
But wait!

Obama is a Muslim. M-U-S-L-I-M! Muslim!

And he didn't hold his hand over his heart!

Nor does he always wear a lapel pin!

These things are so much worse than hundreds of thousands of jobs being lost, and broken highways.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ron Paul thinks it's a good idea...

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yes, but Ron Paul is a whole different breed.

Whereas the remaining 3 candidates would all spend more money, Ron Paul's plans would save the country billions, so when he says that he can think of places in which we could recover the costs, he's right.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
ROFL bigbert! Insane in a Salvadore Dali kind of way isn't it. No lapel pin, no hand over heart. The humanity! Oh, it is to laugh.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Let me tell you what will happen if the tax is repealed for a short time. They ( government ) will raise this tax when it goes back on to make up for the short fall.

Roper

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Isn't it though, JPM...isn't it? j/k

Yeah, I think 'insane' actually covers that pretty well.

And Roper, I think you're absolutely right about that. Raise taxes even more to cover their losses. Good point.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
We gave up our temporary security and liberties to bastardized munchcons long ago. Where do we go from here?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I know it would do nothing for Nevada Consumers.
The State tax automatically goes up if the Federal tax goes down.
isn't THAT special?

www.signonsandiego.com...

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Huh, well I'm glad I don't live in Vegas anymore then.

This whole thing is such a fraud, and they're STILL pushing it.

If cops think that we're just cattle (which is shown by all of their recent newsworthy appearances), imagine what these people think about us when people eat this ludicrous idea up.

Scary.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Isn't that 'special'. Could it be...Satan? It just gets better and better.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hmmm, I find it amazing that Obama being Muslim threads seem so much more important than a thread with significant substance like this one.

I guess a man's religion, Muslim or not, (despite what GWB has done for being a 'devout Christian'), is more important to people than the hundreds of thousands of jobs, and our economy taking a large step backwards.

This also goes for the bull about a lapel pin...

...or a hand over a heart...

...etc....

...etc...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I question the claim that "hundreds of thousands" of jobs will be lost because of the gas tax holiday, but nevertheless it's a bad idea. The only way the U.S. is going to be less dependent on foreign oil and contribute less to global warming is if the price of gasoline goes up so much that people stop driving their huge honking trucks and other gas guzzlers and replace them with fuel efficient cars. It will also hasten the development and acceptance of greener means of transportation. Obama has it right.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

They're claiming on the news that up to 300,000 people would lose their jobs.

Even if that number is exaggerated, is it worth it to you for $30?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by Sestias

They're claiming on the news that up to 300,000 people would lose their jobs.

Even if that number is exaggerated, is it worth it to you for $30?

No, it wouldn't be worth it. As I said, Obama has it right. No gas tax holiday.

new topics

top topics

join