It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU 'Skeptical' of Senate Report on 'Homegrown Terrorism'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

ACLU 'Skeptical' of Senate Report on 'Homegrown Terrorism'

www.commondreams.org

WASHINGTON, DC - May 8 - After Senators Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) and Susan Collins (R-ME) introduced a report on Islamic homegrown terrorism today, the American Civil Liberties Union strongly urged Congress to use caution when moving forward on related legislation, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 (S. 1959). The report, "Violent Islamist Extremism, the Internet, and the Homegrown Terrorism Threat," is based on findings from hearings held by the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. The ACLU and nearly twenty other groups sent a memo to the committee outlining concerns with the report, most notably the free speech implications of labeling the internet as a "weapon" and the unfair singling out of one religious group as possible "extremists."

"Once we begin trying to regulate belief systems, we have veered perilously far from the Constitution," said Caroline Fredrickson, director of the ACLU Washington Legislative Office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Nice to see that the ACLU sees what we see...These guys deserve a lot of credit for being one of the last true fighters of we, the little people, against our tyrannical oppressors. Hopefully they put enough focus on this maniacal legislature to get it shot down!

The ACLU is concerned that identifying the Internet as a tool for terrorists will lead to censorship and regulated speech – especially since the Internet has become an essential communications and research tool for everyone. Indeed, some policy makers have advocated shutting down objectionable websites in violation of the First Amendment. It is an unworkable solution.

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have to agree with you. The ACLU has fought tirelessly against the dismantling of the Constitution, and they deserve credit for it. Of course, being a card-carrying member of the ACLU can land you on a terrorist watch list because the government doesn't like people who point out the flaws in their arguments. I was surprised that the ACLU didn't come out against the Homegrown Terrorism and Violent Radicalization Act in the first place. The law itself is extremely vague and gives the government the right to define anyone who is against their policies as a terrorist. It's unfortunate that we have come to such a horrible state of affairs, but I am hopeful because those of us who see the problems continue to fight and continue to talk and question. I just wish that there were more of us.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Watch Collins lose this fall. It will be great. I can't believe she is joining Lieberman in this effort. It's political suicide.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Nice to see ACLU grew a pair and became useful again.

I do hope they can open the people's eyes as to what is going on here... we don't need this 'protection'

top topics

join