It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard Numbers: The Economy Is Much Worse Than You Know!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BradKell

The idea of nations being in debt to eachother "is sooo last century, god."

The truth is, that what country owes who is already factored into the overall equation. Wether or not Europe ever paid us back, or how they may have paid us back is now irrelevant. It has gotten to the point now, that we are forcing other countries to buy our debt. How the hell does it make any sense to buy debt? It doesn't. It's a scam.

Even if Europe had repaid us, we would still be in debt. You know why? Because the Fed charges us interest on borrowing our own money!

EDIT to add:

As we are not so inclined, apparently this 'debt' isn't something dire to overcome... for what ever reason.

More dire than you could ever imagine. But the politicians aren't going to tell you that. They don't work for you, they work for the lobbyists, and big business. They work for the people who are robbing this country blind and have been doing so since 1913.

[edit on 5/19/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

That's kinda messed up. You gotta give credit where credit is due! Without my parents there to convince me to go to college and start over I could still be living with them for all I know.

-ChriS

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Indeed. Now I am not saying people should just roll over and throw in the towel when they take a hard punch in life and cry "woe is me," but one has to take a look at legitimate reason why people are in such dire straits, lest they become complacent enough to become the next victims themselves.

A friend of mine is almost 40 years old and just had to move back in with his parents. His union house hasn't been able to find steady work for him in two years, and he lost his house when he was unable to refinance. Of course he maxed his plastic and went bankrupt in the meantime.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Right you dont roll over and play dead. You use this knowledge to your advantage. Just know how things work.....Jack is right just because there are sharks in the ocean doesnt mean you dont go swimming. Work hard and just take this knowledge and use it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I posted an article that was front page news in my area, which supports the premise of the OP's thread title. Have a looky if you like...

Insurance trusts' collapse staggers state, industry leaders: Nearly 5,000 employers may pay more for workers' comp

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

To that I say, it depends upon what State he is in and how much the business makes.

In Alabama, they apparently don't crack down so hard. We live in a small town, and a buddy of mine has had a lawn business for over 5 years now. Didn't get a business license until he bought a Riding Lawn Mower with his Tax Return (A freaking $10,000 LAWN MOWER! INSANE! But then he's been bilking the system for years, lots of kids and a few bad marriages... course he was a slouch before then so I'm sure that's not the only reason he scams Uncle Sam) and then he only got the liscense to make the Lawn Mower tax deductible. He has most of the business in town (except what a special needs kid has... well, I say kid, he's 30 and been cutting yards since he was young) and gets all the bids like Cemetary's and such. 3 years and no paper work.

So, you COULD start your business like that, and if you didn't blow up big profits you'd probably fly under the radar (especially if you worked a part time job). Risks, though, I agree.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BradKell

Well, it probably has a bit to do with where you are. More rural areas are probably more easy-going. Especially in smaller towns where there is still some sense of community as opposed to ripping eachother off legally every chance someone gets.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I would say that a big part of our problem is that our success has made us lazy in many ways, and the biggest way is that we have unplugged from our political system, and thereby been taken over by the greedy and the foolish. Most people are not willing to talk about politics, unless of course you agree with everything they say. Point out a possible flaw in their reasoning or beliefs, and they clam up and want to change the subject.

Conformity has become the end all and the means. The current generation has become the survivor generation, forming secret alliances for political survival rather than facing the harsh realities of the world. I would say that this is also the result of all of the downsizing that we have seen since our economy began collapsing in 2000. Those with the politically savvy survive, those who are honest and speak their minds are shown the door.

Old school Machiavellian corporations bought up all the dot com start ups, and quickly squished the innovation, and at the same time created the economic implosion that has been going on for the last eight years. The extremely loose lending policies of the real estate market disguised the fact that our economy had been shredded by corporate take overs and outsourcing and of course H1B visa programs.

In my opinion the rich elites have been too clever for themselves, and they don't have a clue what to do about the current economic system with the U.S. economy so grossly in debt. Not only are our bank accounts and real estate loans up side down, so are most investments. The super rich will loose hugely as the house of cards unfolds.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Oops, got off track. What I meant to say is that I think the underground economy is the way to go. Work for cash under the table, or the direct exchange of goods and services. Advertise on Craigslist or put out flyers. You have this, I have that, or I can do this and you can do that, maybe we could make some arrangements.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
underground economy is a new one for me..lol but in essence that is the answer even if you have a job/career...networking is always the key, but school does not teach you this. Colleges do teach these classes, but the average American is dissuaded from investing for many different reasons.
Thomas Hodgskins said it best...''A man had better be without education, than be subject to the education of his rulers''...
Your whole belief system if you grew up as a middle class american is that of a slave..
There are descendants of money masters and money slaves in this world. How can you expect the blind to lead the blind.
Instead of whining, complaining, blaming ashkenazic jews, blaming bush and the fed, blaming someone else, realize that you only have yourself to blame.
The knowledge on how to become financially independent is out there. you have to break out of your box and find how you can become not only a master of money, but also a master of your time.
Its not easy! Its not easy at all. It involves thinking, concentration, focus, sweat, facing your comfort zones and changing your own psychology to that of a winner. It involves being creative and asking questions. Doing your homework..

In school, in society, in church, in the family, we are indoctrinated by the richest people on how we should think. It is in their best interest to have us believe that money is the root of all evil. It is in their best interest for us to consume and not become prosumers or producers.
We can quickly learn to play by their rules. This doesn't mean to be greedy as some are and it doesn't mean you need to exploit people in the process either. By simply being an element in the divine plan of giving and the golden rule you make the biggest difference in the world. For generations to come.
All it takes is you..you don't have to change anyone but yourself...quite thinking about yourself and find a way to help someone instead.
Whatever it is you want in your life, give it to someone else...you will see that it comes back to you..
this isn't me trying to preach..Im attempting to ''illuminate'' those of you who aren't aware of the rules of the mastery of money...

but to the post above about underground economy...thats using the brain right there..a prime example of using the brain you have in your head instead of being automata

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I just got my job offer today for 23 an hour and I took it in a heartbeat! I'm still jazzed about getting a job at all! June 2 is my first day!

-ChriS

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
reply to post by mybigunit

I just got my job offer today for 23 an hour and I took it in a heartbeat! I'm still jazzed about getting a job at all! June 2 is my first day!

-ChriS

Congrats Blaster,

In this economy that is hard to come by. Keep plugging away good things will happen just prepare for the worst
Hopefully this economy does get better business is way to slow and I have employees and bills I have to pay

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Thanks Thanks!! I'm getting in on the ground floor with this company as they are setting up on a nearby Army post. I'll be doing drafting and CAD work for construction projects and renovations they are doing.

I'll have to set up my own desk as they are just now getting settled but I don't mind
. I even get my own office and it's as big as my kitchen. I've never had my own office before!

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The economy is bad but how did we get here...Jobs that left the country...
money that left the country from an illagle work force and fuel prices that stop spending. this country needs cheap transportation costs ie fuel...good jobs in this country that pay a good but fair wage and stay in this country...and not hireing people who send the spending money out of the usa...if this aint fixed we will see blood in the streets and confused politicans...

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join