It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq and Women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am attaching a link to a story about Basra Iraq. It outlines some very serious (taliban) type tactics religious leaders are starting to take against all but mostly women. How will the US deal with an Islamic regime? Can we allow this type of abuse to occur?

Some small samples

Residents have different versions on the death of a female medical student who was kidnapped and raped several months ago. Some say that her parents killed her for the shame her rape brought on the family. Others say she committed suicide.

Dye has been thrown at women who did not wear the hijab, or the Islamic veil. Even many Christian women began wearing the hijab for fear of attracting kidnappers.

Mayada al-Azawi, 19, refuses to wear a headscarf. Her family has hired a driver to take her to and from university every day. But the fact that most girls have begun covering their heads to avoid kidnappings makes her defiance even more difficult, she said.

ap.tbo.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Thats messed up. Thats cool that that girl has taken a stand at her refusal to wear the hijab. I cannot believe that in todays world, stuff like this still happens. How primitive and barbaric.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
In many eastern cultures, women are encouraged to cover themselves and the men in the society dissapprove of them revealing much of themselves because the men are so stupid that they are intimidated by the beauty of women. they feel that women's highest power is the ability to seduce them with their looks. Also much of what we consider normal, like showing our arms and legs are frowned upon.

coming from a culture which promotes similiar beliefs, I understand the situation but I do not like it, but it is not the USA place to involve themselves in this issue.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
now that we have that evil bastard , we should put him through a sex change operation and send him back to his own country to be dealt with like the scum he is (given the iraqi sense of equalities of the female gender)

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Hillary thinks women fared better under Saddam www.newsmax.com...
and she's probably right. Women don't stand a chance under radical Islam. How do you help them against their will?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   
"I cannot believe that in todays world, stuff like this still happens. How primitive and barbaric."

so naive :S

top topics

join