It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says He Has ‘Now Been In 57 States‘

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Actually, if you include all of the states that the US taxpayers, in effect, support in Mexico, there's more than 57 states.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Hmm how many threads were started on Bushes mis-speaks, cause Lord have mercy he made a ton of them, and some were hysterical, and you would need to have an entire server just for them. The last time I checked the only requirement for president was an age one and be a natural born citizen here, i rechecked and it said nothing about passing geography class. Please consult your dusty history books to verify this.
Thank you!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Since when did this become racist? I never once mentioned anything even remotely racist.

It seems you are very gulliable. I'm sure used car salesman love you, or any salesman for that matter. You really eat-up alot of the BS Obama and his advisors would have you believe.

We are both educated (as most of us here are), and that is not the issue. It's just frustrating to see someone who doesn't know when their intelligence is being insulted.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

More unjustified tasteless insults from you. This is a fruitful discussion.

The whole virgins and heaven bit seemed very racist since it doesn't even apply to Obama, who attends a Christian, and not a Muslim, Church. The fact you didn't address it, when I asked about it, only further shows it was intended that way.

I swallow everything I hear about Obama?

Remember when you told me I was uneducated and I need to read. Well on the the previous page, of this very thread, I clearly state I am not voting for Obama. So what's your point? I mean, other then feeling intellectual intimidated, and resorting to personal attacks.

[edit on 033131p://11u50 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Me intellectually intimated by you?
Now that's the Pot calling the Kettle Black.

About Obama being implied as Muslim is racist? How is that racist? His name is Muslim. His dad and step-dad were/are Muslims. His Grandma from Kenya is Muslim. He supports radical Muslims, even campaigned for one in Africa.

The 65 virgins thing is to point out that, when you know something you care about, the simple things are second nature. In this case 72 virgins.

You are naive.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Perhaps Obama is just ahead of his time.

If Hawaii doesn't succeed, at some point, probably thousands of years from now, it's going to break up and sink- why do you think the oldest hawaiian islands are the smallest? They give in under their own weight over time, slumping off sizeable pieces into the Ocean.

Alaska he has yet to visit. It's not that important, since in Obama's time, global warming has melted it into the smallest state in the union.

That leaves 7 states to account for.

The most likely candidates:
Washington D.C. and New York City are likely candidates for new states.

Next I'd take Canada, Mexico, and Cuba. There is a reason for that. when the NAU inevitably turns out to be a bad idea, (most likely under the administration of Jenna Bush's son, who will know doubt be born somewhere in the vicinity of 2/11/09, which incidentally lets us know that Obama is from, at the very least, the year 2048- or 2044 if they push back inauguration day just enough to make him 35 in time to take office) the US will simply refuse to let go of them, and declare them states against their will, culminating in a nuclear war, which I imagine will go fairly well considering the balance of nuclear forces. The impact on those nations populations will make it inappropriate for any of them to be counted as more than one state.

Five down, two to go.
Gee, I dunno, what other nations do we know for a fact that America will still be very tightly connected to in the year 2044... oh yeah, Iraq, of course!

And what will be the last star added to the US Flag? I'm thinking Israel. I've always thought that if we had the logistical capability to box Israel up and move it somewhere in the vicinity of Texas that it would really solve a lot of problems (at least until the Republicans find out what Judaism thinks of Jesus, not to mention certain demographic voting tendencies which have been observed in some Jewish communities). But hey, it could work, and I think that in Barack Obama's time, we just might have the technology. We could even make their star on the flag 6-pointed. It might even start a trend- maybe every state would customize its star. I think that would really add some pinache to the flag.

So yeah, that's just the zeigeist messing with you. There's nothing wrong with Obama (btw, I'll most likely be voting for him. doesn't mean we can't have fun with it, especially if it helps anyone else in this thread lighten up).

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Me intellectually intimated by you?

Correct.

When you willfully choose to not address questions, but instead respond with personal attacks and unjustified insults, that is intellectual intimidation as outlined from forum defense mechanisms 101

About Obama being implied as Muslim is racist? How is that racist? His name is Muslim. His dad and step-dad were/are Muslims. His Grandma from Kenya is Muslim. He supports radical Muslims, even campaigned for one in Africa.

Because he is a Christian. He attends a Christian Church. If he is so Muslim, why doesn't he attend a Church in accordance to that? Most of what you just said isn't about Obama directly therefore it's erroneous.

The 65 virgins thing is to point out that, when you know something you care about, the simple things are second nature. In this case 72 virgins.

And you're implying he is Muslim. Why? Because he is black? Because his Dad is? He attends a Christian Church. He calls himself a Christian. He does not attend a Muslim Islamic Church nor does he call himself one. You said that with the intent of alluding he was Muslim, and using that as a negative. It's racist on many accounts.

You are naive.

[edit on 043131p://11u41 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I've always thought that if we had the logistical capability to box Israel up and move it somewhere in the vicinity of Texas that it would really solve a lot of problems

Texas hah! There will be blood!...

Hey, I would enjoy having it in CA. Why not CA? Where is the loyalties Vagabond!? I think placing it near the Japanese Tea Gardens in SF would be blessed. Or maybe just swap it. Give them Sacramento in trade...

I was hoping Tibet would be a star

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Oh. My. God. It was a JOKE people.

I was so stunned at seeing this thread last five pages without anyone stating the obvious, that I created an account just to reply. Did anyone actually watch the video? Turn up the volume. The audience laughs. Why does the audience laugh? Because it was a joke. Not the long pause between "fifty" and "seven". The word "fifty" is the setup. "Seven" is the punchline, subverting your expectations. It was a JOKE. Not a great joke by any stretch, and not the best delivery, but still, the intention has to be obvious to anyone with a pulse. Just wow.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by timiathan

Excellent first post

Maybe you can link a Youtube of it for all to review in this thread?

**edited to add: I haven't see the video myself. I assumed it was a verbal mistake, a slip-up. I guess the OP hadn't either lol....

[edit on 043131p://11u54 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Screamo, you should know this in your sleep, Just like the ABCs.

I guess Obama could recite the Koran in his sleep but not the correct number of states.

Give me a break. Unbelievable.

If it slipped right in (and he meant 47), then it would be only 49 states and still not the right number.

Get a clue.

I starred Screamo because they were the only one in a page and a half to even seem to have a clue.

Obama says he has one continental state left to go, going there would give him all 48. The two that he won't be visiting are Alaska an Hawaii (the non-continental states). The total then would be 50.

I'm sure that Obama was doing some mental math and the word fifty came out subconciously. It's not uncommon to have a verbal train of thought and a mental one cross paths to make for an embarrassing faux pas.

I've even heard some moron and his friends repeatedly say that Iraq undoubtably has 'weapons of mass destruction'.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Five pages of comments regarding Senator Obama saying that there were 57 states and yet no one posted a You Tube Video of the actual statement? Perhaps if we actually watched and listened to the statement in question, we might discern that this was a "tongue in cheek" statement.

After viewing the You Tube video, I had the very clear sense that Sen. Obama was simply trying to say that he's had a grueling campaign, that he's traveled all across the country and that it "seemed" as if the country is larger than it actually is. In my mind, it came across as an attempt at humor!!!.

Senator Obama has to be given the benefit of doubt in this instance. He's clearly NOT an imbecile. He's a graduate of a prestigious University -- Harvard. He's a U.S. Senator and, as many like to point out, he's articulate. We are not dealing with a country bumpkin here. We are dealing with an intelligent, well-educated gentlemen who has a wry sense of humor.

If this statement wasn't a "tongue in cheek" attempt at humor, then it was certainly a simple error that was made by a man who is, frankly, exhausted from a grueling campaign. He has criss-crossed the country, spoken to thousands and thousands of people and can certainly be forgiven for a few simple errors of speech. Let's be honest who hasn't made a stupid error when we clearly knew better?

Nevertheless, I still contend that this statement was a simple statement that was meant to be humorous and I, for one, took it as such.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Great post BT,
I think when two sides argue without researching really makes rather difficult for a decent conversation. Thanks for that vid I think that may have been done "bitter', but I wont even get into that
One thing for sure, Obama will be scrutinized for p and q he utters, as well as his wife, kindergarden teacher , and mailman.
Soon everyone will have to walk around with duct tape over their mouth.

cheers

[edit on 11-5-2008 by Sys_Config]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
He was JOKING you morons! Is no one here able to detect sarcastic exaggeration?

It's like saying "Oh man I've been working a non-stop 30-hour day.. I'm exhausted!"

Durrr.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by dan428]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
In the fog and hurly-burly of campaigning, he's probably overcounting the Territorys and Possessions the US has. That would certainly account for the "57", which he was ASKING and not STATING. It sounded like he didn't know how many states he'd really been in. Thats a common given on the campaign trail.

NOW if he does this when the nominee, then there's something the opposition could sink their teeth into. Look at presumptive Methuselah McCain, already advertising as 'President John McCain'. There's a grasping person who's full of it.

But Obama bin Laden's just getting lost in his own efforts and rhetoric. If he doesn't get the nomination or the Presidency, he'll calm down enough to realize his mistake.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This could quite likely be a reference to a proposal being considered for at least 16 years by the US Senate.

To add Mexico as 5 states, Cuba as 1, and finally bring Puerto Rico as a full state status was being fairly openly discussed when I was first active in the Caribbean for the Navy. Currently there are 31 Mexican states and 1 federal district.

The current formally dependent areas of the USA are as follows:

Dependent areas: American Samoa, Baker Island, Guam, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Navassa Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palmyra Atoll, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Wake Island
note: from 18 July 1947 until 1 October 1994, the US administered the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands; it entered into a political relationship with all four political units: the Northern Mariana Islands is a commonwealth in political union with the US (effective 3 November 1986); the Republic of the Marshall Islands signed a Compact of Free Association with the US (effective 21 October 1986); the Federated States of Micronesia signed a Compact of Free Association with the US (effective 3 November 1986); Palau concluded a Compact of Free Association with the US (effective 1 October 1994)

www.cia.gov...

Constitutionally, it is really a fairly simple process to admit new states to the union:

Article. IV. - The States
Section 1 - Each State to Honor all others

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section 2 - State citizens, Extradition

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

(No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.) (This clause in parentheses is superseded by the 13th Amendment.)

Section 3 - New States

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

www.usconstitution.net...
From a Federal standpoint there are several positive points to expanding the USA formally.

This would leave only Canada to finalize the NAU.

I understand all the positions pro and con but if this is truly a reference to some proposed new government agenda I have serious reservations about the current USA government having all the affected citizens best interests at heart.

[edit on 5/11/2008 by kerontehe]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by banyan
i'm willing to glance over these mistakes until they become habitual. if i were in the public's eye every day, speaking, i would really mess up every once in awhile. sure, 57 states...that's an out-there idiotic statement, but right now i am not worried.

after bush, i think anyone is at least going to SOUND more intelligent.

if we want perfection, maybe god should be running for president. but knowing god's temper, i'd probably vote for the other candidate.

You have really low standards for those who would lead you. I expect every presidential candidate to know there are fifty states. I expect every presidential candidate to be able to name them. But then I expect my presidential candidates to be at least as smart as I am.

If Obama was such a Harvard genius, he would have figured out his preacher was racist twenty years ago.

I will not vote Obama because of his racist leanings. The company you keep says everything about you I need to know.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by groingrinder]

[edit on 5-11-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Fifty seven is an amazing number:

Fifty-seven is the sixteenth discrete bi-prime and the sixth in the family. With 58 it forms the fourth discrete bi-prime pair. 57 has an aliquot sum of 23 and is the first composite member of the 23-aliquot tree. Although 57 is not prime, it is jokingly known as the "Grothendieck prime" after a story in which Grothendieck advances it as an example of a particular prime number. As a semiprime, 57 is a Blum integer since its two prime factors are both Gaussian primes.

Read about it below on Wikipedia. (Yeah -- it has its own Wikipedia article!)

en.wikipedia.org...

Also, let's not forget Heinz 57 Varieties. Maybe Obama was talking with John Kerry earlier that day, hence the reason for the slip up? (I know that is a pretty obscure reference. Sorry.)

Edit: Can't get that Wikipedia URL right, because it contains a left-parens. I will leave it to you to click through Wikipedia to get to the correct page, thanks for understanding.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Obama's seven additional states -

Don't forget Hillary's additional state!

The state of Denial!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

He said because um, they don't have maps in Dakar, and such as, Chicago, and such as, we should make more maps and such as, so everyone including Obama will have a map and such as.....

( sorry to steal your line Miss America)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join