It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Chloro fluoro compounds the real Culprit behind Global Warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Are Chloro fluoro compounds the real Culprit behind Global Warming?

en.wikipedia.org

Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) are compounds containing chlorine, fluorine and carbon only, that is they contain no hydrogen. They were formerly used widely in industry, for example as refrigerants, propellants, and cleaning solvents. Their use has been regularly prohibited by the Montreal Protocol, because of effects on the ozone layer (see ozone depletion). They are also powerful greenhouse gases, in terms of carbon dioxide equivalence (over a time period of one hundred years) between 5000 and 8100 per kg. [1] CFCs have half-lives between 50-100 years, so their presence in the atmosphere and reactivity with ozone is long lived. One CFC molecule typically degrades around 10,000 ozone molecules before its removal, but this number can sometimes be in the millions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I was reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Almost Everything" (excellent primer for nonscientists aka the rest of us) and he mentioned that CFC's were 1,000 times the greenhouse gas that CO2 is and that it lingers in the atmosphere up to a century.... and that we are still making it.

So that started me thinking and while I am sure many scientists have thought of it (I hope so anyway) it could very well be that we are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to blaming CO2 for global warming when in fact it is CFC's that are the culprit.

Anyway I looked around for verification of their greenhouse abilities and found this in Wikipedia to start the discussion with.

en.wikipedia.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is not exactly breaking news, more speculation than anything but I forgot where to put it so if its in the wrong place would the mods be so kind as to plop it where it belongs.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by grover]

new topics

join