It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resurgent Russia on Parade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
So, you thought Lenin was gone? Well, he seems to be back... At least on a flag.

Full story:

TIME link here

Russia's traditional military parade, held every May 9 to commemorate the 1945 Victory over Nazi Germany, was particularly remarkable this year. For the first time since the collapse of the Soviet Union 18 years ago, Russia rolled out heavy armor and missiles on Red Square in Moscow and central avenues of major Russian cities from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok. And for the first time in eight years it was not Vladimir Putin who presided over the parade.

I thought this shot was taken when the Soviet Union still existed, as a demonstration of what it used to be - but no, just some modern day nostalgia.

A huge oil pipe spewing rubles might have been a more fitting emblem of Russia's resurgent strength than the arms of the moribund Russia Army. But even the rattling of a rusty saber served the political point of reminding NATO-friendly neighbors like Georgia and Ukraine, as well as other ex-Soviet Republics, who is still the big guy on the block. Still, with the price of bread and other foodstuffs skyrocketing, there was some grumbling about the circus. The popular Moscow daily Moskovski Komsomolets calculated that the cost of today's military parade could have bought the city of Moscow 25 badly needed new nursery schools.

You'll find some shots of their military hardware, most of which is pretty old. Putin featured heavily in the formalities, so he isn't going away any time soon.

I wonder if Hillary thinks he doesn't have a soul?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Perhaps you think the Communist-era flags and uniforms are out of place? It should be noted that the parade is not meant to commemorate Russia, but to commemorate the Soviet Union's victory over Nazi Germany, which is why the other CIS countries hold the same parade.

It would seem fitting, then, to commemorate the Soviet Union in as historically accurate a manner as possible, no? In case you're wondering, the flags read "For our Soviet motherland." If those soldiers were seen waving around the Russian tricolor instead, some might interpret that as a marginalization of the other Soviet republics' role in the war.

As for Russian nostalgia, the parade is certainly nothing less. That's the whole point. If you're implying that this is some sort of sinister foreshadowing of Russia's future revert back to Communism, then I would say you have a very fundamental misunderstanding of Putin's popularity and the reasons for the nostalgia.

[edit on 5/10/2008 by The Crow]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The Crow

No, not at all, quite the contrary - I certainly understand the historical importance of it. I never said there was anything sinister at all, if I did hint at anything sinister, it was Clinton's remark of her saying Putin 'has no soul.'

However, the parade itself hasn't taken place since the past-era system of government collapsed - having symbols of that past system, if anything, proves how much it is of their past. Is it a bad thing? Of course not, I think it's excellent.

I wouldn't suggest for a second that Russia is 'reverting' back to communism - the country has already undergone the shock therapy of the early 90s, economic recession, and it is only in the past years, since Putin has been in power, that their GDP has increased six fold.

I can certainly see why Putin has his popularity.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Purely for internal consumption in order to make the Russians believe in themselves once more.
It may not be the prettiest of most subtle way of maintaining a strong national identity, but it works.

Fact is that Russia still has massive social problems - e.g. the average life expectancy for a Russian male is only 59.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
You'll find some shots of their military hardware, most of which is pretty old. Putin featured heavily in the formalities, so he isn't going away any time soon.

Pretty old??? Hahahahaahahaahahaha

Those tanks you see are the T-90 Tanks wich are NEWER then the Abrahams tanks...

Hell most equipment are superiour and NEWER then most inferiour American gear...

So please go out there and learn about Russian gear because in most cases, it out performs NATO/American gear outright.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I wouldnt be to worried

Gordon Brown and other Nato leaders shouldn't be worried about Russia's resurgent strength, Verdon suggested. "This is a statement that 'we are proud of ourselves and back on the world stage'. But we shouldn't take this as an aggressive act. Nor are we quaking in our boots. We are not returning to the cold war."

"If they wish to take out their old equipment and take it for a spin and check it out, they're more than welcome to do so," Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell, said earlier this week.

www.guardian.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join