It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Wonderful World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
On ATS we see so much doom and gloom, peak oil, food shortages, global warming, and so many end of the world threads i have trouble counting. So i decided to post this thread for anyone and everyone to contribute to, to show that although the world has problems there are some amazing things happening. Good things, beautiful things and amazing things.

Lets look at ourselves for a start. Medical science is currently progressing at such an amazing rate that many of us younger people when we hit 50 will expect to live a very long time. Organs being grown from your own cells is becoming a serious possibility, a bladder already has been grown. Pharmaceuticals are coming along that could stop or even reverse mental deterioration associated with old age.

Treatments for back pain and joint wear and tear are coming along so ver quickly, inplantable hearing aids, treatments for blindness, replacement of whole limbs, all of these things are coming along and are truly incredible.

We're having problems with energy production, but in the last 50 years alternative fuel sources have come a very long way. They still aren't truly viable but in this coming century they will very likely be there and will hopefully be a panacea to so many problems of our world. To move from the grime of our current energy produciton into a clean future will be a milestone the human race wil never forget.

We're about to turn on one of the largest particle accelerators ever built, this could unlock so many secrets of the universe it's truly incredible. For all we know we'll unlock real anti-gravity secrets if they exist. We'll find the building blocks of the entire universe and have a understanding so deep that it is amazing we're able to even get to grips with it. Of course some say it will destroy the world, but maybe that's what we need, to push the boundaries even further and intrepid scientists are doing so, i salute them all.

Yes we have problems on earth and yes we're worried, but just for a second, just one moment, step back and consider what we ave achieved as a species. From the obvious examples of the great pyramids and the cistine chappel, the music of bach and shakepeares sonnets, to the every day wonders of clean water frm taps, light when we want it and save food for so many people.

We're living in a truly blessed age despite our many problems, i hope some others will contribute to this thread.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have to say i'm dissapointed that no one wanted to reply something else positive on ATS, we hear so many negative stories and no one wants to post a positive one, i despair.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Well, i'm not really going to provide any specific details, but i believe that the survival of the human race up to this point in time is quite possibly the greatest positive that can be imagined.

If you want an actual example of clear positivity, then i believe the case may be that no amount of positivity will ever be enough for you, 1984.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Im posistive.
I see people all the time trying to save the earth and it makes me happy.

It also makes me happy when I hear about new advancments that can help save global warming.

And there are many new advancemts in almost every field of science.
These are all good things.
There are bad things but why focus on the bad when you can try to change it and make it better.

Good thread.
Starred and flagged.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by 5ealchris]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I agree with you.

Too many people find imminent doom in every development that occurs.

You paint a good future for humans and reason to look even for just a moment on the bright side of life.

What will disturb very many here is that much of what you cite will make huge profits for someone and regardless of the good they will do, they will be reviled for their success.

I'm with you, though. We are always overcoming one crisis or another, but the overall quality of our lives continues to rise in the long term.

We can't ignore the problems, but we shouldn't ignore the triumphs, either.

[edit on 2008/5/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
did you ever think that maybe all this "progression" and "invention" isn't such a good thing. Perhaps "advances" aren't really advances and are instead just steps leading to a faster and quicker deterioration of it all?

Maybe we as humans were never meant to live such long lives, maybe we were not supposed to alter what nature has given to us, perhaps instead of evolving the way we were supposed to evolve, we are now mutating into something we were never meant to be?

I don't know, I'm just rambling, this is truly a wonderful world and with all it's hardships, there is still much to be in awe about, to love, appreciate and enjoy.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I dunno you ask for a positive statement and someone comes along with that jug of cold water

Well look, i think the only way to view the world like that is if you believe in an all powerful or superior being who put us here. As i'm agnostic i don't know if that's true so there is no "meant to be" for me here. The longer we live the more we can contribute i hope, imagine the greatest scientists being able to live to 150, if we could keep their faculties intact (which is becoming increasingly possible) then they could make even more contributions to our world.

I value every day things, nature included. We shouldn't progress and forget nature and destroy everything, we should however not stop our progression, we're at a point where we're nearly ready to make that true leap into space. Actually live on another planet, and that will make sure our species survives. Give it a hundred years or so (which we'll probably be around to see) and then tell me this advancment isn't meant to be.

Anti-Tyrant

I'm not quite sure what you meant by it not being enough for me, i'm not trying to fufill my own need for positivity, i'm just tryint to balance ATS a bit, so much doom and gloom around here, just wanted a small panacea.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Well, that's perfectly understandable.

I'm not feeling as positive as i was when i made that post though.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'd say that as much negative stuff that gets posted here on ATS, you can usually find a bright side to things.

However, it's not good to try and always look for that "silver lining" in every situation, as it just isn't logical.

On the note of good things, I always like to escape the many negative things in the news ("If it bleeds, it leads") by looking at astronomy discoveries. Being an avid astronomy junkie, I have found that it's hard to be negative about the wonders of the Universe.

Unless of course you read about all those "Doomsday Asteroids"

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
But I like being a pessimist, I really do.

I will never get let down, because I allready saw something bad coming. If something great does happen it's a surprise, which makes the great things much better because I never expected them to happen.

I know this world has lots of great things that happen everyday, but when I constantly look at the bad things, and I hear of a good thing that happens, I get much happier.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yes, too much gloom and doom in our forecasts.

We all have the choice to make our lives the way we want it.

Get up in the morning and decide, do you want to have a good day or a piss-on-you day?

I choose to be happy and not complain and hope for the best and pray for the worst to never come to either me, my family, my friends and my enemies.

new topics

top topics

join