It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Big Media Needs Propaganda To Survive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Why Big Media Needs Propaganda To Survive

www.commondreams.org

If you haven’t heard already, just six corporations control most of what we read, watch and listen to every day. These corporate giants are motivated entirely by profit, not public service. So as Big Media get bigger, gobbling up more newspapers, radio stations and TV networks through consolidation, our media system actually gets smaller. Corporate execs have gutted newsrooms, shuttered foreign bureaus and slashed spending on investigative reporting.

Staff-strapped media outlets rely increasingly on packaged punditry to fill the void left by investigative reporting and informed debate about the nation’s most important issues.

The “C” in consolidation also stands for “cookie-cutter” journalism, with most reporters falling in line to deliver the official view of the news. Getting a diversity of voices in our news is hardly even a putative goal these days. C also stands for “cheap”: Real reporting is expensive compared to staged shouting matches.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So in essence, we have PREDATORY media, that are carrying out psychological warfare upon the american people. The owners of these companies have HIGHLY vested interests, and have quite the cozy relationship with our gov and M.I.C. death brigade. They are all scratching each others backs with their bottomless greed, and people are dying and suffering while they line their pockets further with the blood of all of the peons and pawns.

This entire system is so indescribably corrupted and crooked it's like something straight out of a science fiction horror novel. Only it's too real, and it is affecting us all.

It's time for citizens to get together in the millions, and invest in their OWN media outlet IMO. It's the only hope we have at turning this corruption and crookedness that is ruining our world around!

Corporate owners have a vested interest in keeping courageous and intelligent reporting a journalism-school dream, especially when it comes to the Iraq war. After all, General Electric doesn’t want its reporters at MSNBC to question the war while it’s busy churning out Apache helicopters. It turns out that everyone — from the military analysts espousing Pentagon rhetoric to the corporate news owners to the government itself — have shared interests in leading the American people to war.

So while the masses protest these endless bloodbaths of these Elitists, they are literally going to war with US, through continual propaganda-laiden programming and deliberate, daily brainwashing attempts upon the populace to "mold" opinion, and control opposition to their bottomless greed-mongering schemes...

To consolidate their control, Big Media owners like Rupert Murdoch have cozied up to Washington, deploying legions of lobbyists and lawyers to craft U.S. communications policy, while doling out millions of dollars in campaign contributions to squelch any challenge from elected officials.

Hence, propaganda, misinformation and government spin become the daily news norm — so normal, in fact, that many in the news punditocracy are having trouble understanding what all the hoopla over propaganda is about. Isn’t this the way news is “made”?

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hi, DimensionalDetective,

I have noticed your name on a lot of posts here recently. I applaud your efforts.

One question: Does ATS as a site, with it's competition amongst it's members breed distrust and division (without trying to) among it's members?

Keep bringing the REAL headlines to the members!!!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cryingindian

You know, I don't think it does breed distrust through 'competition'...If anything, I think most of us who are reporting these types of 'alternative' stories tend to support one another's efforts! I know I do! When I see a must-read, I star it and flag it and thank the poster for finding it!

We HAVE to work together on these issues IMO, as we are in a very bad way with the direction this country and world is going, and we can't count on the major media outlets anymore-If anything, they're now co-conspiratory in these oppressional world events and policies. And as we see in this article, it's in their best interests to do so!

But it is at the EXPENSE of the rest of us.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I have to agree. I refuse to watch Fox, seldom watch CNN and occasionally watch MSNBC. Was watching Morning Joe the other day and hardly any word about the cyclone in Burma, yet the Hillary and Obama campaigns were examined from every angle imaginable. I wasn't aware of the cyclone until I logged on to ATS.

There is a definite agenda to MSM. Most is news you can't use. I find most of my info here.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
As long as the media is owned by profit-making corporations the news will be shaped by them. To some extent this has always been the case--the Hearst newspapers, for example, always had their content completely controlled by him. But Hearst at least had competitors who gave different sides to the news. I worked for NBC News years ago, when they were owned by RCA. Now they're owned by the much bigger GE and their reporting shows it. People make a big deal out of the differences between Fox and the other news networks, but the differences are mostly trivial. They're all dancing to their owners' tunes.

It would be good if we could return to the days when the media were independent but that's probably not possible.

The answer is in supporting alternative news sources and forums like ATS.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
BTW, the above article gives a link to a VERY IMPORTANT SITE...It lists who these six giant corps are that are controlling everything and spinning our "news" to fulfill their agendas...

Who Owns the Media?

The Big Six

The U.S. media landscape is dominated by massive corporations that, through a history of mergers and acquisitions, have concentrated their control over what we see, hear and read. In many cases these giant companies are vertically intergrated, controlling everything from initial production to final distribution.

www.freepress.net...

The Six Massive corporations that control most of the press and spin our "news" and information to fulfill their agendas are:

*General Electric

*Time Warner

*Walt Disney

*News Corp

*CBS

*Viacom

Be sure to check out the freepress link above t

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
General Electric, in case anyone was unaware, is one of the largest WEAPONS MANUFACTURERS on earth...So now why on earth would they want to push a pro-war agenda? LOL

[edit on 9-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
mmmm, the media are in just another buisness... and one that happens to ride on people watching/reading what they put out there.

-fm

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
While I wouldn't go so far as to say Big Media "needs" propaganda to survive, it certainly makes their lives a whole lot easier when they side with and agree to run anything the corporations tell them to.

There are still some more alternative, liberal media sources out there, but they have it hardest trying to publish material that is not widely supported by other sources or that is even discredited.
One by one they slowly dwindle, they can't support themselves when garbage factories like Faux News get enormously high coverage and ratings. Their profit margins are just too low.

Either that or they bought out and then molded into Fox's or CNN's image.

I never watch mass media anymore because I don't watch TV.
Why take information from a corporation whose goal it is to get me to accept what they're saying so they profit from that?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

lol... well yea, thats kinda what I ment.

-fm

new topics

top topics

join