It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard: Video Games Don't Turn Kids Into Killers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Harvard: Video Games Don't Turn Kids Into Killers

www.tgdaily.com...

Video games don’t turn children into blood-thirsty killers – Harvard research.

Kutner and Olson studied 1200 middle-school children in a $1.5 million federally funded study. Instead of studying the children in the laboratory, like other studies, the pair actually sat down and talked to kids after long bouts of game playing – sometimes in excess of 15 hours a week. The lucky kids played a variety of games from the very non-violent The Sims to grandma shooting, pedestrian bashing Grand Theft Auto.

They discovered that children who played violent video games – those rated Mature or above – were just relieving stress. Some children did exhibit some playful fighting after playing games, but this was similar to what children have always done after watching action or Karate-type movies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/9/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Perhaps the most startling finding (at least for people the likes of Jack Thompson) is that boys that don’t play any video games at all are now considered to be socially inept. A danger sign for boys is “not playing video games at all, because it looks like for this generation, video games are a measure of social competence,” says Kutner and Olsen.

SO
. As a gamer I am happy to hear this, this shows that I'm normal
. Not playing games is not normal for guys.
To tell ya'll the truth, I'm the wussiest one can find and I play video games with some great degree of violence.

www.tgdaily.com...]TG Daily
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My cousin once said, "I like ganster rap, but I know it is not real." The problem with video games, gangster rap, and violent movies is not that they will turn good kids into criminals or sociopaths, but that they might unduly sway kids that lack the intelligence or emotional stability that they need to distinguish between fantasy and reality. At which point we have to ask ourselves does every kid have to watch Sesame street because one in a hundred or one in a thousand kids does not quite understand Grand Theft Auto is just a fantasy.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Personally, I had never believed somebody could have a grasp on reality quite that tenuous--until I came here, that is. Now I'm wondering just how many of us have played Metal Gear Solid 2...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
normally video games like GTA prevents the REAL act like in the game... (not the drive around crazy but the way you rob cars instantly)

new topics

top topics

join