It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese drill for oil 25 miles off coast of Florida

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is an outrage and we as a nation can not drill for oil because of regulations set forth by our politicians in Washington near the same area off the coast of Southern Florida. This is one of the richest reserves of oil and natural gas in the world.

Do you realize that not only are the Chinese drilling in the area but they are planning to slant drill into our U.S. reserves and by all indications contain from 4.6 billion to 9.3 billion barrels of oil.

I hope Congress is happy. My question is how did we let this slip thru our hands right in our own back door? Do you think the Chinese are going to be environmentally friendly? LOL Rik Riley

Here is an article that tells the story.

www.americanfreepress.net...

[edit on 9-5-2008 by rikriley]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well this is right up there with the worst slap in face information I have ever heard.

I think it is time to come forward with our newest technology, the all American Flying Hover Craft.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well, all those chinese made poison plastic uselessnesses that you consume so vigorously has to come from oil, and that has to come from somewhere, so why not from where we won't drill? I mean after all, if you're buying the stuff, you're creating the demand. Get over the fact that this country has long since been sold.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I have a comment for rikriley who posted this. How in the
world do you think that they can slant drill into our country?
You can't drill horizontally. It doesn't work like that. And in
order to be able to drill into our soil, they would have to be right
on the edge of the International property lines, which is around
7 miles or so off the coast. You can angle the drill stem or pipe,
at only a few degrees off vertical, and then they would have to have
pipe miles and miles and miles long. I am confused as to how
anyone can drill into our reserves. Do you have a source for this
angle drilling? I am really curious as to how they can possible do
this. I worked in the oil fields for a long time, and some of the
things posted in your subject don't add up. It is true you can angle
drill , but not enough of an angle to tap into our reserves.

I too would be outraged if they were able to tap into our oil reserves,
but it doesn't happen quite in the way you portray.

ZOOMER:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I see, so US based oil companies can't drill for oil off our own coast because of our own environmental regulations, but it okay for a foreign oil companies to?

I suppose it doesn't really matter what oil company is taking the oil as they all rip us off in the end anyway.

Are we going to go to war for the oil company's again so we can win their right to get to sell it to who ever they want anyway?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ZOOMER

Zoomer, this info about the Chinese going to slant drill was not my idea it came from what was told to the American Press.net from the article I posted on the very first post.
www.americanfreepress.net...

If the Chinese are drilling within 25 miles off the coast of Key West I assume they are very close to the U.S. offshore reserves. We are playing second fiddle to the Chinese and they need more and more oil. India, Russia and China combined just surpassed the U.S. in oil consumption. Most people do not realize the U.S. gets most of their oil from Canada and Mexico.

If Chavez cuts the oil supply off from the U.S. we will start an embargo of their goods. The U.S. would probably still be able to buy the Venezuelan oil at a much higher price from a third party. The Chavez government would allied with other South American countries to help circumvent the U.S. lead embargo if it takes place.

This embargo could come about because the Chavez lead government is arming the Columbian leftists and the U.S. more then likely would be supplying the other side. I Look for this to be the next hot spot for a surrogate war between the U.S. and Venezuela. Rik Riley

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You know what? This is one of those times where I feel confident that this is a bogus or half-truth story.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Plans for foreign oil companies, some from India and China, to drill off the cost of Cuba are prompting calls from lawmakers to ease environmental restrictions that prohibit coastal drilling in most of the U.S., according to a report Tuesday.

At a time of rising soaring gasoline prices caused partly by a lack of supply, legislators are fuming that Cuba is opening up its continental shelf for oil and gas exploration while most of the U.S. continental shelf outside the Gulf of Mexico, which extends 200 miles from shore, has been off limits for drilling since the early 1980s, the New York Times reported.

Firms from China and India will be drilling for oil off the coast of Cuba, but U.S. companies are prohibited from bidding on the contracts, according to a recent report.

Adding insult to injury, the Times said U.S. firms were invited to bid on the Cuban contracts, but were barred by the U.S. government due to the country's longstanding economic embargo of communist Cuba.

"Red China should not be left to drill for oil within spitting distance of our shores without competition from U.S. industries," Sen. Larry Craig, Republican of Idaho, told the Times.

Firms from Canada and Spain will also drill off the Cuban coast, the article said

Craig is introducing a bill to exempt U.S. oil firms from the embargo, much as food and drug firms are, according to the article.

There are also several bills moving through Congress aimed at opening up areas more areas of the U.S. to oil and gas exploration, including coastal waters and Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

What did I say. half truth at best.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Hi verylowfrequency, yes you are correct the environmentalist have gotten to Congress and I am for protecting the environment which we can do and drill at the same time, but we will all continue to pay the high price for Congresses mistakes. You will see a lot of changes in the way Congress thinks on the matter of offshore drilling off the coast of Florida. I do understand there is a distance limit from the shore line of Florida and that distance is less then it use to be.
Rik Riley

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I only wish we could silence the enviroMENTALists, and tap into the Alaska oil fields... I agree with the above post, that drilling, and maintaining the environment safely is possible, and if we have all this "untapped" oil, in our own backyard, and i read somewhere that we have enough oil in our reserves to supply our needs for over 100 years (trying to find link for proof), why do we need to import it? Its an ingenious idea, just like lets borrow money from a bank at interest to run our country, instead of making our own, so we can never get ahead......

The answers are right in front of us, yet we cannot see them through all the fog..........

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Hi Res Ipsa, all valid points The United States Of America is the one stopping and hindering the American based oil companies in bidding on the contracts for drilling of the Mother Load of all oil reserves around the world, and at the same time giving the green light to the rest of the world to bid on the massive oil projects. This is what I call absolutely insane.
Rik Riley

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I recently was in the dominican republic and looked around at my surroundings and discovered that I really dont have as much freedom as the people of this small island nation. For example: It was approx. 2:00 am and everyone was dancing and partying away without police at every single entrance and exit. It was nice to see people doing the human thing..... Having a goodtime unsupervised. It made me think? Where in the usa could I have a beer, be on the beach at 3:00 am and beyond and no cops hassle me? Better yet where in the usa could have a bon fire? Answer? NOWHERE. Never happen. Its sad to say the gov. has way to much power and wont let us live a quality life because there some law saying I cant.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Wouldn't the smartest thing be to develop an alternative to petroleum so we don't have to rely on oil at all? We'd be ahead of the curve if we'd taken our planet's limitations seriously years ago.

And I agree with Anonymous who posted immediately before me, our corrupt government has a great deal to do with the quality of life not only in our country, but around the world.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The best direction at this time would be to use hydrogen to drive or fuel our vehicles and hydrogen will not be derived or extracted from oil but water. Electric vehicles also will fill the gap when it comes to the 150 to 250 mile range on one charge.

Do not buy into it would be too difficult to change over to hydrogen. Yes your auto would have to be converted over to using hydrogen and fill up stations would be the existing gas stations. Rik Riley

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don't this can be true, because it it were, this is an act of war as it in the US zone.

I'd have to see it on a few other news sites first before believing this was actually occuring.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
We did it to the Iraqi's. I guess we blazed that trail. (no pun intended).

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Has anyone even noticed the article in the link was updated May 21, 2006?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
IT IS HIGH TIME AMERICANS GET OFF THEIR DEAD ASS'S!!!

WAKE THE F**K UP AND RISE UP ON WASHINGTON!!!

TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY AND KICK EVERY ENVIRON "MENTAL" LIST

GROUP OUT OF THE LOBBY'S OF CONGRESS!!!

IF THIS PROBLEM IS NOT ADDRESSED AND SOLVED BY 01-01-09 THEN

THATS IT FOR AMERICA..........

WE ARE HEADED DEAD-ON INTO WORLD WAR THREE AND IT WILL BE

OVER THE SUPPLY CHESTS OF "OIL"....

NEVER MIND THE FIGHT FOR THE OFFICE OF "PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES"

ALL 5 C.E.O.'S OF THE BIG 5 OIL COMPANY'S HAVE THAT OFFICE ALL BUT SHUT DOWN!!!!!!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I've been screaming this from the top of the highest soapbox I can find for years. In case no one has been paying attention, the Chicoms are taking over the world. How dare the President(and past, especially Clinton) could allow us to be subservient off our own coast! Unless we drill in our own country while exploring and weening us off petroleum slowly, we all will be riding bikes.

More refineries! More nuclear power plants!(if the French can do it why not the U.S.?) The Chinese are on a roll and welcome to $11.00 a gallon. I guess the collapse of the economy and infrastructure is worth it to save 100 acres in ANWAR from green, eco friendly, new drilling technology.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I recently was in the dominican republic and looked around at my surroundings and discovered that I really dont have as much freedom as the people of this small island nation. For example: It was approx. 2:00 am and everyone was dancing and partying away without police at every single entrance and exit. It was nice to see people doing the human thing..... Having a goodtime unsupervised. It made me think? Where in the usa could I have a beer, be on the beach at 3:00 am and beyond and no cops hassle me? Better yet where in the usa could have a bon fire? Answer? NOWHERE. Never happen. Its sad to say the gov. has way to much power and wont let us live a quality life because there some law saying I cant.

Thanks Anon for the low down on the Dominican Republic. I have a chance of doing some major business in that country and glad to here things seem well. The gentleman I will be doing business with is connected politically on both sides of the aisle. It has to do with energy conservation. Rik Riley

top topics

<<   2 >>

join