It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like atmospheric clouds to me....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I recently added a link to DLRs images of Mars and when I opened the first one I found something that stood out to me.....

Close up

Im not very good at manipulating photos or anything so I will provide the link to the high res one for you to all look at

Prometheus

When I look at this I cant help but see clouds over some of the areas which look like water ... even though I am told they are ice.

What do you think?

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Tybrus]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
They don't look like clouds to me, but if they are that is not a surprise, I have seen some photos of Mars clouds, both taken from orbit or from the ground.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Beautiful image! Thanks for posting.

Not sure about clouds, the blurry parts look more like sand partially covering dark areas. There are mighty sand storms and moving dunes there.

The dark areas are more interesting. What are they? Ice? Last time I checked, ice is white. Pools of liquid water? Not likely with the very low atmospheric pressure. Maybe micro-organisms or vegetation with dark heat-absorbing color?

NASA used to explain dark stains as dark dry dust:
Dark Streaks Over-riding Inactive Dunes

The alternate explanation is water, with or without life:
Water Flows or Just Dry Dust??
Mars Water, Odd Surface Features Tied to Life

That would be an excellent place for a lander to take samples from.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Tybrus

Thanks for sharing this image! There are some interesting features in the black area. Zoom in on the area I have circled in red.

Best regards, Ziggystar60.

top topics

join