It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes hr 4279 "Pro-IP Act" Gives govt right to seize your PC if suspected of IP violation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
hmmm

This seems more aimed at people who are downloading

and this is all good to catch the home user but as a Network Tech there are many ways around getting traced

Wait for WWW2 when it comes out along with IPv6 now that the US government has upgraded there backbone systems to support IPv6, you will see a lot more activity now with company's migrating to it

When WWW2 come out you will find the new net to be a lot more secure

and all those 4.6bill IPv4 IP's should be available tor the general public dibs on M$.com!

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Exactly, they will implement more security to change the manner of web with Web2.0 applications and devices. As it currently stands, I don't think they can seriously implement any kind of serious security. This being said, once web2.0 comes out, there will be serious concerns in regards to control, not only of the net, but of the data that traverses it.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You can thank the greedy record labels for this one. They make the majority of their money off of CD and digital music sales. The bands and artists make their money off of concerts and promotions. If artists could have it their way ( although thanks to the internet, they are beginning to) they would probably be glad to give away the music to help bulid publicity for themselves. Just two weeks ago, Nine Inch Nails, an independent rock group not sponsored by any record label, gave away their new album online as a gift to their fans. Coldplay allowed for their single "Violet Hill" to be downloaded for free for a week. And Disturbed has publicy denounced their record label for not allowing them to play new songs on their upcoming album until it's released. Hopefully in ten years, all musical acts will be independently sponsored, and downloads will be free. I know that it's probably a pipe dream, though

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I have one question....
Why are we letting this happen to our country?

[edit on 10-5-2008 by GrayFox]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If this goes through it also gives criminals or black hat hackers additional powers.

How? They call in to the cops using a spoofed 911 callback to some guy's house saying there's a horrible crime and the 911 guys send SWAT to the wrong house. They crash in the door and shoot innocent people. This is ALREADY happening and has been in the news here.

Not that much harder to get a hacker's enemy's computer grabbed, by spoofing and sending files to be stored on your HD where you can't see them, or just calling in a report. Innocent people get grabbed and abused, catheters yanked out and tazed.

So for people to be in support of this kind of thing, making laws to support victim-less crimes like this - could you be any more naive?

It's not about the 'heinous digital crime', it's about giving the gmint more control which we KNOW they CAN and WILL abuse on a whim and offer no remedy if they realize later they're wrong.

In addition, irate spouses, divorce cases, other disputes can use these tactics to unfair advantage, once they put laws like this in effect.

Even now, pretty much everyone is guilty of some kind of behavior which can get them in trouble, from failing to use your blinker (which can lead to a search and planted evidence) to naively allowing the Boston cops to enter your home without a warrant, ostensibly to search for your kids' guns. Now you can add having a computer. Remember they don't even have to find anything. They'll be able to grab your PC on pretext and you'll never get it back in operable condition, or be afraid of what they did to it when in your possession. Think the gmint can't hack into your PC and plant stuff. Think the RIAA can't do it - they've already -proposed- secretly tampering with PCs that they scan and suspect.

World of Minority Report - here we come.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Badge01]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GrayFox

People are oblivious, have no idea stuff like this goes on to take away their rights, and find more ways to jail and bankrupt us.

RIAA is NOT government. They have NO right to go parading around, acting like they are. They are simply people who grouped together, and looked for a way to do what government and every corporation does -- That is, to take "THEIR" share of the wealth they so deserve.

People are getting creative in ways to make laws that makes each and every one of us a criminal. They own us, why shouldn't they?

This upsets me, isn't there enough government agencies and corporations profiting from the peoples' suffering?

It is like they are trying to out-do each other. See who can pass the law that makes the most of us criminals.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Jessica go thru all 500 addons and you will find it not sure what its called as i just switched over to linux gentoo sabayon

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
When was the last time congress has done anything for the U.S. citizen's. They seem to be helping only the corporations and them selves. And they wonder why their approval ratings are so low, which they probably don't care about anyway.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by picrat

Would you happen to be referring to FoxyProxy?
I have it installed but I have yet to activate or become familiar with this add-on. The one thing that I have wondered is what about all of the music and video clips on YouTube? Are those IP violations, and if so would such violations be subject to this new Act?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well just to let everyone know this has ONLY been passed in the house of represenatives so far and has yet to pass in the senate . www.govtrack.us...

I know alot of people dont want to hear it but write your senator , inform other people about this ... seriously ... the worst that can happen right now is they ignore you.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hello, Big Brother! Oh wait, its been here for decades.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
First, I'm not going to get overly worked up over this. As it stands now, they can enter a house without a warrant if they want to. If your suspect to anything. Hell, it's up to the police officer's imagination most times when he or she is eyeballing you looking for anything suspicious.

I wonder how the folks in Oakland, California feel when the police start knocking on doors, entering and searching for weapons. They *already* enter, search, and if they come up with nothing too bad, you've been violated. They already confiscate what they want. I have already heard a few stories about computers being removed during weapons searches. Will the police chief admit such search and seizures publicly? Nope. Word gets around.

I also know what it's like to get pulled over on a traffic stop for a tail light that went out. The officer simply asked if I was aware that my tail light was out, and I said "Oh no...." and before I could thank him for alerting me to it, he asked me to get out of my car. I was patted down, CUFFED, and led to the police car. Then two more cars show up. Most of them, looked like young rookies.

Here I am, just a stay at home mother, on my way home from church. Okay. And I was smart enough not to resist arrest. I could tell they were itching to make trouble for ME. I watched 3 officers turn out the entire inside of my car. I watched one officer take my purse and go through the entire contents of it, then pulled my ID out of my wallet and bring it back with him to the car. I sat quietly, as he ran me through. I finally got the guts to ask, "Why am I being searched? Why am I cuffed?" and he LAUGHED and said "You have nothing to worry about if you haven't done anything wrong. Do you have a warrant out on you?" I said "Absolutely not." and he said "Don't lie to me, because I'm going to find out in a matter of minutes here" I said, "I'm not lying." Once the all clear came back, he got out of his car, and hung out with his buddies for a good 10 minutes and they chatted it up as I sat cuffed in the car. He comes over, opens my door, has me step out, then uncuffs me. Okay. Now he wants me to take a breathlizer!!! I said, "No problem, but as you can see on my medication bottle, I can't mix alcohol with it or it would be fatal." He did not care. So I was submitted to a breathlizer. The entirety of this was ridiculous, violating, and abuse of power. So when he said I was free to go, I said, "Officer, why was my car searched?" and he gave me no answer, handed me a fix it ticket on the tail light and him and his buddies left.

I have already experienced abuse of power. The officer had no reason to believe I was into trouble. And many times, officers will explain why they believe your person and property are being searched.

So, when someone says "Oh no, they will come take your computer and you will go to jail....for such and such...." I say okay. Let them come. Eventually they will find a reason....to come. Until then, this is America, and I will continue to live as I choose, under the freedoms of the constitution and I honestly DO NOT CARE what bills have been passed to negate them. I will fight for my freedoms. I will not live in fear of these people who want me to live in fear. And that is what they want.

They can abuse their power 24/7, year around.

As far as free downloading and pirated software goes - here are my thoughts -

When the good old BBS was up and running, things were of course pirated, but many programmers ALSO shared their software. It was a lovely time back then. I must say.

As for music, these greedy record executives are going to find their collective butts handed to them when artists start to take control of their own property and distribute it as they see fit ala Radiohead and other bands. Not only are the fans fed up, so are the musicians. We are heading into a new era. Now do I think mp3s should be paid for? Yes, yes I do. Unless the artist is offering it to me for free.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

I should have just quoted this. As this is exactly my point. If you keep a people in a constant state of fear, worry, anxiety, paranoia - and if you succeed at it, then you already won the biggest battle.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Whats next there gonna take our computers away for looking up information on the illuminati?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

You may be reading more into this bill than is actually there. The IP they are speaking is copywritten properties such as books,articles,and musical compositions(downloaded music).Using any of these without premission is theft.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

Amazing story. You are a courageous and valiant person to have endured this and been able to keep your cool.

This is why we all need to consider getting video cameras installed in all cars that download the feed remotely. It could become a part of the "On-Star" system, perhaps. Then, with video evidence they will think twice about doing this travesty.

I can't figure out what would motive them to do this to a lady returning from church - obviously not a perp, or fitting any profiling.

You have my admiration and hope you have fully moved on from this.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thank you. I believe many people are subjected to unlawful searches all of the time. It should be, innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

Per the officer's report, I was not a suspect of anything. It really bothered me for the longest time thinking maybe they thought I had stolen a car, had robbed someone, was someone they were looking for, etc.
But none of those things were written in the report. I know police cars are fitted with recording devices. I have to wonder, how did the officer explain his actions if he didn't log it on his report.

It took awhile to get over the feeling of being violated. When you are cuffed and removed from your property, when your personal items are being rifled through, it is unsettling. They have the power and you don't. And they are taught how to use force, not just physically, but mentally too.

I think more than anything, it woke me up out of my haze, or belief that the police are there to protect me. Not necessarily so.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexi Humi

by the mans standards probably as this is how they justify the huge expenditure for jails for the criminal element -get a ticket your a statistic branded as criminal no matter what .also try temporary mail 1.0.6 or temporary inbox these are disposable e-mail addresses also false but they act as if they are real,also try bugmenot or stealthier.99 good luck

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FFSthinkpeople

your right it has only passed the house of representatives but my understanding is that they have already passed laws saying that it is illegal to download or share music and the punishment is what -yet its not law. Think of it this way if they pass it which they will as they can hold this act of piracy over your head for the rest of your life with a criminal record.and you want to work for the government -not likely as they don't want someone in their who might be more crooked then they already are.now one warrant of search and seizure for downloads can lead to another search all because they said they had probable cause and if they find anything your busted then and there -next they say they need a warrant and the jp.gives them one to be picked up at their leisure that is called illegal search and seizure yet they all claim no it wasn't and its your word against how many police and judges -god help us all,welcome to the new communist state,where we the people no longer have any rights-the Miranda rights aren't worth the paper they are written on any longer .

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The think I see is that people don't want to pay for music, THEN go pay to see the person or group live. I've been an advocate of giving away free music since we first started our band about 8 years ago.

Imagine going to a Carnival and you want to see the freak show. You can buy pictures of it for $5, or you can go see it for yourself for $15. I'll pay what the printed picture is worth, no problem... but when they are trying to make more money by selling the pictures at a higher cost, then I have a problem.

Think about it this way: U2 has a concert. Say, for argument's sake they hold 25,000 people. Selling each ticket at $200 each, that comes out to a grand total of $5,000,000 for one concert! The concert hall probably costs about $10,000 for the night... the record company gets a chunk, as well there is pay for all the people who were involved in the production, but in the end the band still gets probably well over a million. The CD sales are minor compared to that... on average a band only makes a couple pennies per CD sold. This is why Trent and others are able to give away their music for free... they don't have a record company to pay.

Essentially charging for music (I can understand charging for a solid copy on CD... it takes money to make it) is like charging someone for a business card. When a band puts their music out for free, it is basically a business card that you can enjoy and share... then you should have the respect of attending one of their shows to help support what they are doing.

Then, again, I'm not a greedy person, and can't fathom what I would even have use for as much money as some of these bands make! Pretty much it's just the Recording Industry pushing laws like this. The major labels just want their money. Lawyers are READY to get involved because they make a grip prosecuting these people who just want to share good music with their friends. Some of those 'music traders' go overboard, but really it's just another useless "War on... (terrorism/drugs/etc)". Someone is pushing because they can make a profit... never mind how many you step on to obtain it. The general public is an indispensable cash cow... the more laws you make, the more laws they break, the more money lines the pockets of the undeserving. Hey, why not? We're the ones ALSO paying to put people in jail... it's a win/win for them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join