It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes hr 4279 "Pro-IP Act" Gives govt right to seize your PC if suspected of IP violation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

House passes hr 4279 "Pro-IP Act" Gives government right to seize your computer if suspected of illegal downloading

www.p2pnet.net

cording to Conyers, the Act will >>>

* Prioritize intellectual property protection to the highest level of our government
* Make changes to IP law to enhance the ability of IP owners to effectively enforce their rights
* Make it easier to criminally prosecute repeat offenders
* Increase penalties for IP violations that endanger public health and safety.

Conyers doesn’t explain how IP infringement could possibly have any effect on public health and safety.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It sounds to me like the government can now seize your computer for any reason whatsoever. It is good to see that with everything else going on with our country, our government is spending so much time and energy so they can go after citizens and protect big industries.

It is good to see that they want to increase the penalties for IP infringement, even though currently getting caught sharing music can effectively ruin a persons life (example is the woman who was fined 220k for sharing a handful of songs on a P2P network). We are not looking out for the people here.

I believe the current laws are unjust, since most people could be convicted weather they are aware of it or not and the last thing that we need is more strict laws making even more people criminals. The IP system needs reform, not stiffer penalties.

www.p2pnet.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged! This goes right along with the "internet is an enemy weapon system" and "Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Act"!!

Make no mistake about it, these maniacs want the last source of "free" info and news shut down---Dissent is intolerable to these fascist oppressors.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

When the slaves rebel and invent novel ways of listening to favored music instead of handing over the hard earned bucks...well there is a price to pay. I am a big admirer of Trent Reznor who advocates free music. Instead of lining the pockets of record executives he puts it towards making sure we have the art.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
ahhh more restrictive and pointless laws. its good to see tha with the housing crisis, rising gas, natural, gas, heating oil prices, the large amount of homeless starving americans including children etc. that they have time to put the effort into the fight against file sharing. everyday i find more reasons to hate my own goverment.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is getting pretty ridiculous. Now everyone with a computer is a potential criminal. This will make it very easy for them to round up whoever they want, on any pretense, while labeling them criminals to quell any dissent.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thank you for helping promote awareness.
Some more of that good ol' Patriot Act, I presume?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
finding real criminals is to hard and dangerous..what we have now is what has been happening to motorists for years .

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Yes, I agree.
Any method that they can tag and bag us!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Holy Cannoli!

What's next? Policing our thoughts?

I was thinking about this the other day, according to the laws that are being passed these days, Martin Luther King Jr. would be a "terrorist." So would the entire Women's Suffrage Movement, and about a thousand other organizations that paved the way for Human Rights.

In fact, with the current legislation in place, even having a PAC could be considered terrorism.

And now they want to take our computers away. Sad state of affairs when the people fear the government. Government needs to fear the people once again.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

so... if a song has a copywrite on it, you think that you still should be able to play it and possibly give it out to other people to do the same, without paying for it? i'm sorry, but i don't see how that violates YOUR rights. you can download songs and movies and anything else that isn't copywrited and this law will NOT apply to you. the creators and promoters of the art just want to get paid for their efforts.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What happens if your IP is hijacked?

My solution to this:

If you must download music and movies, go to your local Starbucks and do it from their free wifi.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So is that starting when this bill was passed or are they just going to start coming in our houses and going through our stuff? This is just getting more and more rediculous.

It's only a matter of time before they start arresting people for crimes they haven't even commited yet like in the movie Minority Report.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Do yourself a favor and read up on surfboard hacking

Try and trace an unprovisioned IP assigned to an unprovisioned MAC .. muhahaha

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Are you saying that MACS are safer?

Can they track an IP to a specific address?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

The old, "if you aren't doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to fear" argument. I disagree with it. They are increasing the penalties for a crime that is absurd.

Do you think it is worth destroying someones life over sharing music? Streaming music is free, we can listen to the radio for free (yes, ad supported but it doesn't cost the listener anything), yet if we download music or share it, somehow it is a crime severe enough to ruin a persons life?

Innocent people are also being accused and extorted by companies like the RIAA and MPAA. The entire system is flawed. I can not bring myself to side with the RIAA or the MPAA in these cases. I don't know what the alternative should be, but it certainly shouldn't be more penalties and less privacy.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Software is available to spoof your MAC address..so using a proxy is probably going to be the safest but not the most fool proof. Eventually someone will write the software that will allow a select group of people Family and friends to create their own VPN..and the only way to get access would be to get the keys and IP from a member..a closed loop to share within..like a super private Napster.
They keep pushing and it will happen. Encrypted private networks for sharing content..linking to other family networks..and sharing only within that network.
RIA be dammed your not in my family and friends..you don't get access.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by SUNRAY06]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I am not going to attempt to argue that somebody downloading bit torrents is a threat to "public safety," but there are instances when IP law violations can threaten public safety.

For starters, the Digital Milenium Copyright act prevents people from hacking into software or computer networks, among other things. You can easily envision a serious threat to public safety if somebody hacks into a computer network containing sensistive information, or paralyzes a computer network that is vital to the function of an essential service.

Second, IP rights form the basis of our economy in the US. People that produce software, scientific research, and entertainment are among the few people that produce anything of real value anymore. IP piracy undermines these people's ability to make a living, which in turn hurts all of us in the pocket book.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

When the slaves rebel and invent novel ways of listening to favored music instead of handing over the hard earned bucks...well there is a price to pay. I am a big admirer of Trent Reznor who advocates free music. Instead of lining the pockets of record executives he puts it towards making sure we have the art.

So then please go to work, work your @ss off to create something and give away your paycheck , So what ever job you do.. from now on, do not be a hypocrite, give away you pay. Understand that is what this is. Wow 99 cents to buy a song, I know that 20 cents of that goes to my pocket the artist (if your on a label) more if you are not.

People like you piss me off and this is why the industry is in the trash, because the record companies have to put out mindless crap because it sells, and they cannot take as many chances on real music, because there is no money it. They have to sell so much more now to make a profit, because 30% of the profits are being stolen.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
First of all, this is not a law, yet.

The Senate will vote on a version of the bill next week, but it should be borne in mind that the Justice Department is dead set against this bill and the White House isn't really talking.

I would suggest that those who are alarmed by this bill should be writing and calling their senators and the president to express their displeasure.

You can't really bank on your legislators or the chief executive reading ATS or knowing who "Grumpy, the Naked Troll" might be.

During yesterday's markup of the bill, committee members tried to mollify the Justice Department and head off a veto by clarifying that the czar would not make policy but coordinate anti-piracy efforts across government.

But the changes in language did little to persuade the agency.

"Establishing such an office would undermine the traditional independence of the Department of Justice in criminal enforcement matters," department spokesman Peter Carr wrote in an e-mail yesterday. "Establishing such an office in [the White House] would codify precisely the type of political interference in the independent exercise of DOJ prosecutorial judgment that many members of Congress and senators have alleged over the last couple years."

White House spokesman Tony Fratto said, "The White House has very serious concerns with the legislation."

www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 2008/5/9 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join