It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile gives volcano holdouts ultimatum to flee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Chile gives volcano holdouts ultimatum to flee

www.newsdaily.com

PUERTO MONTT/FUTALEUFU, Chile, May 8, 2008 (Reuters) — Chile on Thursday ordered holdout residents to flee from an erupting volcano in the remote region of Patagonia and vowed to force them out if they refuse to obey.

The military evacuated a small contingent of troops and journalists from near Chaiten volcano in southern Chile before dawn on Thursday after it spat out fiery material.

But some civilians refused to leave two villages near the volcano that began erupting last week for the first time in thousands of years. It has spewed ash that has reached the Atlantic seaboard and the Argentine capital, Buenos Aires.

A strong smell of sulfur hung in the air around the village of Chaiten, just six miles from the volcano.

A court has ordered the complete evacuation of a 30-mile (50-km) radius of the volcano, a move that gives police permission to use force.

"There are still people who are not respecting the decisions of the authorities, which are trying to protect their lives," Defense Minister Jose Goni told local radio.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
WHY? Given the massive destruction a volcano can cause why would anyone opt to stay? To protect their land? Its more senseless than staying in the path of a hurricane.

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Who knows about these people? They get so attached to one spot of land that they lose rational thought. There was that "Crotchety" Harry Truman who stayed at Mount St. Helens Lodge on Spirit Lake after being warned about the eruption of Mount St. Helens.

I guess I love my little house and garden and would regret having to leave it behind for even short term homelessness.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is one of the few occasions where I agree with forcing people from their homes. I think Chile is handling this situation very well and wise.

I haven't heard of any death tolls as of yet, but I've heard that they've done a fairly good job with evacuating these towns. I've also heard that the Chilean Government promised to compensate farmers for animals killed on the farms.

I was reading another article that said that this could result in a pyroclastic flow, which, for those that don't know, is the result of the ash and smoke ejected from the volcano not being able to heat the air around it, making it no longer rise upwards, so it all comes crashing down to the ground and is basically like an avalanche of ash, smoke, rocks and what ever else is in there.

I believe thats what happened with Vesuvius when it destroyed Pompeii.

I don't know if this volcano can be of that magnitude, but I know that anyone in its path will die.

I think the Chilean Government and Military are doing a good thing and hopefully these people will realize it later and be thankful.

[edit on 5/9/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

top topics

join