It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Startling Photograph of UFO Over Derry?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I am familiar with Derry, and what you're seeing is nothing more than a street lamp. "PERIOD"!!!
"Viewer"

I'm not only familiar with Derry, but I actually LIVE in Derry, and what you're seeing is DEFINITELY NOT a street lamp.

"END OF"!!!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyJug

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I am familiar with Derry, and what you're seeing is nothing more than a street lamp. "PERIOD"!!!
"Viewer"

I'm not only familiar with Derry, but I actually LIVE in Derry, and what you're seeing is DEFINITELY NOT a street lamp.

"END OF"!!!

If it's not a trouble...would you be willing to go shoot some pictures at the site of the photo (if I can nail it down?) Maybe take a couple measurements?

Might not need it, but would be good to have someone on the ground there.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
Why don't the posters who claim to live in Ireland go and take a picture of these so called street lamps. I've never seen street lamps like this anywhere in Britain or Ireland. I'm not saying this picture is a UFO, but before I write it off I'd like to see one of these lamps. As another poster said I'd expect this sort of lamp in a city, but not down a country lane. Many country lanes don't even have street lamps.

i will try and find out exactly which street the photo was taken from and go take an exact replica of it...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jritzmann
If it's not a trouble...would you be willing to go shoot some pictures at the site of the photo (if I can nail it down?) Maybe take a couple measurements?

i would love to help...

if you can find out the name of the road from the peron who took the picture, then i'll go and take a few snaps and whatever else you need...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Indeed its not a streetlamp.

Its all about perspective. I've drawn the vanishing point and followed the lines out and you can easily imagine where the path would be.

If the streetlamp is in that position (which it has to be) look how ridiculously large the 'lamp' part of it is. It would have to be either a four foot diameter round lamp, or its on a very very short pole (6ft maybe?)

Regarding the lighting, couldn't the sun be in roughly this position?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

i would love to help...

if you can find out the name of the road from the peron who took the picture, then i'll go and take a few snaps and whatever else you need...

That would be absolutely excellent my friend. Once you've gotten the details off jritzmann we can put this whole street lamp theory to bed. Like I said before It might not even be a UFO but having looked once again at the small picture I'm pretty certain this isn't a street lamp. Maybe you could even go and see the person who snapped the picture. If you've got the time it could be a bit of fun for you. Take care and good luck.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Irma

excellent work Irma
Looking at your pictures it's quite evident this isn't a street lamp. The more I see that object the more familiar it seems to me. I just can't put a finger on where I've seen that before. Maybe I've seen something similar in a film or a magazine. I going to check some old pictures to try and find a comparison, I've plenty of time on my hands tonight.

[edit on 15uThursday08/27/20 by paul76]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

i would love to help...

Thank You. If you could contact me at [email protected] or my website at www.thesecondeclipse.com that would be great.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It looks an awefull lot like the ship off the Disney film.."flight of the navigator"

look at the suns reflection on the object and look at the suns reflection on the car in the background??????

I dident know we lived in a binary star system. thats amazing! we have two suns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note: looking at the pic its obvious the sun is also quite low on the horizon and not right up in the air at mid day...

even if it were stuck to the window frame ... the light reflection dosent really add up , so I think it was hastly copy n pasted into the pic. by someone obliviose to simple CGI or microsoft paint even.

note:2 look to the left of it where the object meets the frame.......theres more too that object than meets the eye!!!!!!!! where them notches are at the egde of the window... see the shadow?

and I'm no skeptic,

[edit on 15-5-2008 by TrentReznor]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
I don't like the way the object seems stuck to the car window frame.

You and me both.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

i would love to help...

Thank You. If you could contact me at [email protected] or my website at www.thesecondeclipse.com that would be great.

jeff, i've added you to msn if you wanna chat...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I just wanted to post that I've contacted the paper and was given contact with the witness/shooter, and was also given the full high res of the image, which is much larger then what's been released.

Jeff,

Is there any possibility that you could extract the entire EXIF data from the original image using EXIF Viewer and either post or PM it?

I can take a reference photo using an exactly similar cell phone, so we can at least find out if the image is really taken with a Nokia 5500.

In addition, sometimes certain cell phones store at least some rough location information in the photos in encrypted form even if they are not equipped with a GPS receiver.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Just an update on the Derry UFO claim from the media perspective (Derry Journal):

Derry's UFO - The truth is out there

www.derryjournal.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">

Date: 16 May 2008
By Staff reporter

UFO snapper defends spaceship photo
UFO sightings are quite regular and most sightings involve the object being there for very short periods of time, so it could very well be the real thing here.

This morning (13th May 2008) my father was leaving me at Altnagelvin bus stop to catch the 5.30am airporter bus. As we approached the roundabout at the top of the link, I looked over to the hospital where I noticed something weird hovering above the grounds of the hospital.

I watched it for about a minute and was about to say to my da to take a look too but it disappeared, thinking I was still sleeping or something I forgot all about it until I read the story online about the spotting of a 'UFO' over Prehen.

I am an absolute non believer but it was a strange thing I saw this morning.

Another Article cites it popularity among certain websites:

Derry 'UFO' sparks global discussion
www.derryjournal.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">

Published Date: 13 May 2008
By Staff reporter
UFO "experts" across the world are investigating reports that a flying saucer appeared in the skies above Derry recently.
Michael Harkin, from Galliagh, got in contact with the 'Journal' last week with a startling photograph which appears to show a suspected UFO in the Prehen area of the city.

The photo has sparked heated debate among "experts" and UFO enthusiasts on various internet websites. Some seem amazed at its clarity while others have laughed it off as an elaborate hoax.

One blogger says: "That UFO looks really retro. It looks like it could be a UFO. Or could it be a streetlight? I'm not sure if a streetlight would appear that big though. nice find..."

"It's a great pic, and the UFO is very big," says another blogger, "As it is clearly flying over a bun ch of houses, why aren't there more pics of the craft by other town's people?"

Someone called Broomstacker adds: "This photo is being discussed on Open Minds Forum, as well as several other UFO forums around the globe! You will always have sceptics to deal with - they are a valuable part of the community, simply because there are so many misconceptions and hoaxes! Don't hesitate to defend what you know to be true!"

UFO "expert" Rick, from Texas, is much more encouraging and wants to know co-ordinates of the area: "Also, I would need to know which street this is, and your direction of travel."

Meanwhile, local woman Catriona Horner, who was driving the car when the original photograph was taken, continues to defend its authenticity.

Writing on the 'Journal' website, she says: "Just to let you all know and to put to bed any rumours, the picture displayed was taken from my travelling car by Michael. Therefore no deception has taken place and the picture has not been modified on computer. It is still on the mobile phone... and I can assure you it is not a street light."

Following the publication of the story in Friday's 'Journal', one reader contacted us to reveal that he too had seen something odd in the skies.

"Last week I saw a strange long, red light - which couldn't have been a plane - high in the sky over the Derry/Donegal area," he remarked. "I thought no more about it until I saw the photo in the paper."

Open Minds got a mention - ATS, No.... Tut tut.

Ah well, Jeff Ritzmann may be the first person to dispell or prove it!

Also, from another paper, the Londonderry Sentinel (already posted but thought I would throw it in anyway):

UFO expert claims Foyle a portal for E.T's

IRELAND'S leading Ufologoist has claimed that Lough Foyle may well be a portal for alien spacecraft.
After a photograph appeared in the local press last week, apparently showing a flying saucer hovering over houses at Prehen, the President of the UFO Society of Ireland, Betty Meyler has told the Sentinel, she is not surprised by it's appearance.
Speaking about the picture captured by a Galliagh man on his mobile phone, Betty Meyler dismissed all suggestions the image is faked.
"It's not computer generated. If it was the black dots on the car window would have been wiped out as well.
"My first reaction to this picture was wow! This is a very usual sort of craft; they are usually this shape, cigar shaped or triangular."
She said the proximity of the supposed space craft to the River Foyle at Prehen is also a fairly normal occurrence.
"Craft are normally attracted to the energy created by megalithic sites or rivers and loughs.
"In Leitrim and Roscommon viewings at lakes are common.
"The pattern of evidence suggests water provides portals for craft to come in and go out of this planet.
"Therefore it is possible that the Foyle is also a portal."
In Limavady last February three round objects travelling in triangular formation were spotted by two witnesses on a clear, frosty evening, according to the website ufoinfo.com.
Betty Meyler has recently returned from one of the worlds leading UFO conventions in Las Vegas and stated that there was nothing as strong as the image captured at Prehen at the American event.
The sighting at Prehen is merely more confirmation that Ireland is a regular haunt for alien craft, she said.
"I'd be a liar if I said I knew exactly where this craft travelled from.
"But I have to say it is very low and very close to the houses," she said.

www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink">

www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk...

Brei.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Breifne]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

I'd love to see a bigger picture of this supposed UFO. This story seems to be gathering pace quite unexpectedly. Thanks for the update mate, well appreciated. As somebody mentioned before me, the only problem I have is the position of the object. It does seem that the frame of the car could be hiding something sinister. I shall await jrizmann to work his magic on the picture.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Yeh, I agree - Mr. Ritzmann is the only person who can sort this out now (fingers crossed). The 'touching edge' is of course the dodgy issue.

If this is a wild goose chase, the guy that took the photo may consider Australia or New Zealand as his new residence.

Brei

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I do not know what to make of this picture, i consider myself to have an open mind but at the same time like to have a rational approach to matters like these.I would just like to know what the photgraph taker Michael Harkin does for a living??. The reason i ask this is because when i typed "Michael Harkin Derry" into Google, the last search on the first page lists:

Michael Harkins Website. A photograpy site about derry showing some "abstract" images. Is this the same person?? Is Michael Harkin a professional Photographer, the website is www.celticimages.org.uk. Maybe its just a coincidence!!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just dropping a note that I had emailed Mr. Harkin yesterday afternoon for specifics regarding his photo. As of yet I have not heard back, but that doesn't mean anything other then he could be inundated with emails and hasn't gotten to mine yet, or he's simply busy with life in general. Until I have contact with him, there's little point in doing any work.

I will only ask members to reserve observations until we get a communication open, and begin exams on the photo. Right now I can say you're all looking at very incomplete data in the way of a compressed sized image. The original is quite large, and has...a lot to say. Let's put it that way for now.

Hopefully we'll hear from Mr. Harkin today and I can get started....would be perfect with a rainy weekend coming.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The reason why i wanted to know if he was a professional photgrapher or not, or find out if the "michael Harkin Website" i found about derry is actually his, is due to the fact that on the website i mentioned, there are photos taken from strange angles for effect. and a professional photographer would have the ability to manipulate pictures...

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Sorry to inform that there has been no word as of yet (Saturday 9:10am) from Mr. Harkin. I will be unavailable until Sunday evening, but will be checking email when I can. I'll continue updates.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
For those who are interested, the author of the photo has shared the original image, Here

Link # 1

Link # 2

[edit on 17/5/2008 by internos]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join