It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi military orders Sadr City residents to evacuate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Iraqi military orders Sadr City residents to evacuate

www.mcclatchydc.com

BAGHDAD — Iraqi security forces, after more than of 40 days of intense fighting, on Thursday told residents to evacuate their homes in the northeast Shiite slum of Sadr City and to move to temporary shelters on two soccer fields.

The military's call indicated the possibility of stepped-up military operations and came as Iraqi security forces raided a radio station run by backers of Shiite cleric Muqtada al Sadr. In the southern port city of Basra, militants launched rockets that struck a coalition base, killing two contractors and injuring four civilians and four coalition soldiers.

Sadr City has been a battleground since late March, enduring U.S. airstrikes, militia snipers and gunbattles between U.S. and Iraqi forces and the Mahdi Army, the militia loyal to Sadr.

Already some 8,500 people have been displaced from the sprawling slum of some 2.5 million people, according to the Iraqi Red Crescent. For weeks, food, water and medical shortages have affected about 150,000 people, aid agencies said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So would someone tell me how do you evacuate 2.5 million people without causing a humanitarian crisis?

And who believes for a minute that the Iraqi "government" is up to the task?

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I thought "tactical nuke" when I read the title. Why? That was a wierd thought...

Ya, so the Iraqi government doing the evacuation could be a "test" to see if it can handle anything. I mean, all we hear seems to be the puppets failing and the military being ineffective, right? Maybe this is the "big chance" before "we" make Iraq into another Puerto Rico or Guam

I have thought about "Why not clear out the area and go in - the good citizens will be out so anyone there is a target" - Not a good Idea, but it has it's merits (barely).

new topics

join