It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who made the Turin shroud?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is a question that seems to still be puzzling alot of experts and still no one is sure who made it or even when it's from. Even when they carbon dated it and it was said to come from the middle ages by three seperate groups there was still people claiming the results were wrong.

Does anyone think the shroud could be connected to any secret societies? The history of the Cathars film says it could have been made by the Weavers which is interesting and they certainly were around in the middle ages and would have been invloved in stuff like this. Perhaps it's got the secret code woven in it?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Its down next to the whaling wall... Shrouds-R-Us

Mod Note: One Line / Off Topic Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
modern science is still unable to duplicate the type of photography used to transfer the image - the last I heard they were researching X-Ray photography or some other nuclear photography method.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The last I heard about the shroud was that could be a primitive photographic technique (using the pinhole camera method) and Leonardo DaVinci is possibly the creator of it. It's very possible that the image on the shroud is in fact Leonardo himself.

Now before any believers in this relic start jumping up & down, I'm just passing on the conjecture I heard about it. The image does indeed look more photographic than what could be expected from it being wrapped around the subject creating the image. It's a negative image.

[edit on 9/5/2008 by Pilgrum]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
yea, thats the current History Channel Propoganda... You know the Hearst Corporation has been engaged in re-writting history.... and if you haven't went to a Library Book Sale in the last Decade - well its like burn the books. they are only bringing over the history they have determined to be accurate. and with all due respects - I consider it a crime to change history. but there you go almost every night... a bastardazation of the truth.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
But it fits in with his sense of humour and his disdain for authority like royalty and the narrow doctrines enforced by the all powerful church of his time. A very high tech practical joke for his time.

Carbon dating puts the cloth in the right timeframe too although the vatican took forever to agree to parting with a small piece for the testing.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
From this it seems Leonardo was involved which is what I suspected but have recently heard that the Weavers played some part in it;s creation and I don't think Leonardo was involved with this group?

I'm going to Turin soon and wanted to get as much information as I could about it and came across this Weavers link to it but thought it was a bit out there to claim they had anything to do with it.

Eitherway I think whoever did it has done a good job of tricking all these people for so long.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've read several books on this and the one that just jumped out as the most plausible can be found in this link.

Head of Templar is the person in the Shroud of Turin

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
The last I heard about the shroud was that could be a primitive photographic technique (using the pinhole camera method) and Leonardo DaVinci is possibly the creator of it. It's very possible that the image on the shroud is in fact Leonardo himself.

I'm in complete agreement with that theory.
Leonardo likely put those burial oils, ointments, by a old world atomizer.,
and did a pinhole projection (Camera Obscura known since 300BCE Greeks)

but the image probably faded fast, and only had bishops as eyewitnesses for when the image was discernable (but still confusing because it was the negative) and the legend was born... but, i'm uncertain, if the shroud was ever presented to the Pope of the time, probably because it was already faded and undiscernable and not considered a provable relic,
and that's why an obscure church kept it as an icon for parishinors and the rare showing to pilgrims,

[edit on 13-5-2008 by St Udio]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Originally posted by Pilgrum

I'm in complete agreement with that theory.
Leonardo likely put those burial oils, ointments, by a old world atomizer.,
and did a pinhole projection (Camera Obscura known since 300BCE Greeks)

[edit on 13-5-2008 by St Udio]

I recently came across some research saying that it could be anywhere between 1000 and 3000 years old. Not sure how much authority this research has but would rule out connection both to cathars/weavers and Leonardo da Vinci.

I go with the majority that it dates to about 1300 - though whether or not the cathars had anything to do with it I don't know...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by caspar2012
Who made the Turin shroud?

Christ 'made' it when he rose from the dead. Or perhaps I should say - it is a byproduct of the ressurection.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mlmijyd

Hmmmm....

It does heavily favor the Grail Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Grail Knight

That being said, I would like for it to be Jesus. But I dont think anyone knows for sure and its still debated. Plus it has the stereotypical North American Jesus look to it.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by KidOK
reply to post by mlmijyd

Hmmmm....

It does heavily favor the Grail Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

Grail Knight

That being said, I would like for it to be Jesus. But I dont think anyone knows for sure and its still debated. Plus it has the stereotypical North American Jesus look to it.

It does look alot like the grail knight in Indiana Jones and the last crusade! Maybe that's what the film makers were looking for when they were casting...

Personally I kind of want to believe it had something to do with the Cathars.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tixerand

I think they must have looked into it when researching for the film, you couldn't really not when making a film like that. Does anyone know if there are any plans to test the shroud again using the more modern techniques to age it?

I'd love it to be exposed as a hoax by someone like Leonardo or the Weavers. LOL

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by caspar2012

the research I mentioned above which puts it at between 1000 and 3000 years old is the most recent I have heard of. Doubtless it will rumble along with ever more sophisticated technologies, none of which can settle once and for all whether it came from JC's time, was made leonardo da vinci, a hoax, woven by the cathars or anything else.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It might as well be an average joe who happens to look like jesus. How do we even know what he is supposed to look like anyway? And shrouds being popular in some parts of the world it could be anyone. It isn't necessarily made intentionally as a hoax.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I tend to lean towards hoax, in respect to its usage over the decades.

The church is strongly opposed to it being 'proven' a hoax, thus no more tests.

I think after the first (and all subsequents tests), the proof was just not there. Carbon dating DID NOT place it in the days of Christ.

The church could never admit to it not being what they have purported all this time.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
To me, it make no sense that a shroud draped over a body could bear such a perfectly symmetrical outline of the body if it were formed by an exiting spirit. The way that the fabric lays over the body would create a distorted form, not the perfect outline that we see on the shroud. One thing is certain, if the shroud is a creation, it’s creator(s) were absolute genius.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There are a number of theories, none proven so far. I like the one that says the image is that of Jacques de Molay, last Grand Master of the Templars. The image on the shroud was created by a chemical reaction called Volckringer Patterns, thought to be caused by lactic acid.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by TheComte]

top topics

join