It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F.B.I. Says the Military Had Bogus Computer Gear

page: 1

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

F.B.I. Says the Military Had Bogus Computer Gear

www.nytimes.com

Counterfeit products are a routine threat for the electronics industry. However, the more sinister specter of an electronic Trojan horse, lurking in the circuitry of a computer or a network router and allowing attackers clandestine access or control, was raised again recently by the F.B.I. and the Pentagon.

The new law enforcement and national security concerns were prompted by Operation Cisco Raider, which has led to 15 criminal cases involving counterfeit products bought in part by military agencies, military contractors and electric power companies in the United States. Over the two-year operation, 36 search warrants have been executed, resulting in the discovery of 3,500 counterfeit Cisco network components with an estimated retail value of more than $3.5 million, the F.B.I. said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hardware.slashdot.org
www.news.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This story originally broke on AboveTopSecret.com, and the New York Times gives us credit and link in the third paragraph of the story.

The F.B.I. is still not certain whether the ring’s actions were for profit or part of a state-sponsored intelligence effort. The potential threat, according to the F.B.I. agents who gave a briefing at the Office of Management and Budget on Jan. 11, includes the remote jamming of supposedly secure computer networks and gaining access to supposedly highly secure systems. Contents of the briefing were contained in a PowerPoint presentation leaked to a Web site, Above Top Secret.

Congratulations to all the ATS members involved in the original thread for helping to make ATS a credible source for one of the biggest names in the mainstream press. It shows they're watching and you can make a difference with your contributions.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
THIS is exactly why I'll never leave ATS.
THIS makes up for all the other noise we have to put up with.

Notice to whomever may be watching us:
WE'RE WATCHING YOU TOO! (and we know what you've done)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Congrats on getting the line and recognition; it is a result of the stick to it and hard work by ATS. Hopefully this will influence others to speak out. Well deserved.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Thats some good news right there , if the NY times is watching imagine how many other people are.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I must say, after reading through the bulk of his posts, that Mr.Old.School seems like quite an interesting fellow.

Congratulations on breaking a major story ATS!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ahh yes technological disinformation.

It seems someone has been taking a page out of NATO's Coldwar Tactical Playbook, the Americans pulled this exact same stunt on the Soviets in the 1980's; giving faulty & defective technology for free which disrupted their economy: www.unc.edu...

Looks like they're tasting some of their own medicine eh?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Honestly we are approaching the age of time where even remote server networks can be hit by a 12 yr old with Digital kungfu, while watching Spongebob playing counterstrike.

An if not a 1and 0 threat, it could very well be a physical threat like a robotic insect, or Light beam for that matter. Never know what the next item of mass trend or consumerism will be the next tool of the trade.

Can we say Crunch Whistle.

items of this nature needed Top Security Inspection...... Rubber gloved with lube an all.

the following is from a bot......

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Trance Optic]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Although it was only a brief mention, its nice to see ATS mentioned in a positive light (for breaking the story, not necessarily that the story itself is positive).

I think the New York Times is corrupt, but I think its good journalism on their part for giving the source even though we are a "conspiracy theory" website.

Its nice to see ATS mentioned in the mainstream. Lets hope we can cut down on some of the pointless, illogical and false posts and claims, and start to get more stories leaked to us like mister.old.school did. It would be great to begin to gain some credibility as a mainstream source, but a mainstream source free of corporate influence and censorship.

Congratulations to mister.old.school and ATS!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I remember that thread. Like I've said before in previous threads, the government REALLY does not know the capability of some of the people out there who browse the Internet. Some of them could bring down regions of certain third-world countries and even China, from what I heard about.

They always talk about "America needing security", yet it is all really just that -- talk.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wow! NYT considers little 'ol us as a credible source? I've been around since 2002 & never thought I'd see that happen! I mean, really, I'd always figured that Intel Agencies of all stripes were looking us over, but a big-time (media-controlled) rag like NYT? I'm sorry to say that I missed being part of that original thread.

Looks like Simon Grey's little brainchild is all grown up now, huh?

Originally posted by tjack
Notice to whomever may be watching us:
WE'RE WATCHING YOU TOO! (and we know what you've done)

Worldwide eye openers & in-your-face commentary...It's ATS!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
Wow! NYT considers little 'ol us as a credible source? I've been around since 2002 & never thought I'd see that happen! I mean, really, I'd always figured that Intel Agencies of all stripes were looking us over, but a big-time (media-controlled) rag like NYT? I'm sorry to say that I missed being part of that original thread.

Well, a "conspiracy site" becomes "credible" when this specific source is in line with their agenda. Hardly surprising, and don't expect NYT will make an article about the Aliens or some of the other conspiracy/theories disclosures

You gotta give NYT the credits for posting the initial source.

[edit on 10/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
There was a post a day or so ago that said something along the lines of..

" Why do you think people are watching this site, it's not like there's anything solid here."

O RLY?

Kudo's to mr.old.school and ATS. Like the slogan says folks.

"The Truth is in here"

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hey Bill: ( To ATS 05-10-2008)
Can you please tell me why items I send to ATS, at times are published and other times they are NOT?
I sent one a few days ago regarding the STS-48 UFOs and it was blocked off of ATS shortly thereafter! I WAS an EYEWITNESS to those incidents!
If you woudls rather NOT have my eyewitness accounts of what I experienced from 1958 to 1992 at Cape Canaveral andthe Kennedy Space Center, PLEASE tell me so.
I hope this is enterred for all to read?
Clark C. McClelland, Former ScO, Space Shuttle Fleet, KSC, Florida

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Score one for ATS! .. I remember the original thread, and even the leaked Powerpoint Presentation. Simply amazing, in the short time that I have been here ATS has changed dramatically. (I still miss PTS though)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Way to go!!
It's a heady feeling to be part of ATS - one of the fastest growing web sites. Congrats to all who've helped make this happen!

Cheers!

top topics

join