It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is 420 all about and origins of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I was thinking about this and so many people get happy over the number 420... Lots of people wish another a happy 4:20 either when the time turns to 4:20 or it's the actual date 4/20/blahblah... I was wondering what 420 really stood for, what significance it held if any or if it has an urban legend or myth attributed to it... I've heard that 420 is the call police give if you get busted with pot... I've also been told that isn't true... I've had plenty of explanations, but never really saw the meaning behind it... Where does it come from? What is it's significance? Why do people like that number?

[edit on 9-5-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
...lol!
I am sure that if you google 420, you will know!

crazy!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

I knew you would say that! Or someone would have eventually... I did and I know what people attach it too, but most of the explanations are educated guesses... I'm looking for hard evidence on who came up with and why and what the number represents...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I dont touch the stuff, but i believe it was a slang term younger folks used in olden days to make sure their parents didnt know what they were talking about. It eventually picked up to the point of becoming MJ's signature slogan.

Also hitlers birthday or death day (cant remember which one). lol

Wiki also has a entry on it: en.wikipedia.org...(cannabis_culture)

Cant get the link to display right, but just type wiki 420 in your firefox address bar.

[edit on 5/9/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Dude...

If you want to know what 420 means...

That means...

You haven't gotten into the 420 spirt yet...

Anyways... theres like a million diffrent guesses at where it came from... the cop theroy, or some big rock band lived at that adress...

Or mabye cause thats what 4 items on the dollar menu cost...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
in our country 420 means a Criminal Person.... or unethical person....

just to refer to a whore or prostitution for we say she is 420 that means she is a whore..... or when referring to male he is 420 that means he is cheater like that

420 is actually a section of our law that deals with criminals

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
link

According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation.

And thats the story, I would just like to add that it a sort of disciplined way to smoke after work when everything is done around 4:20, I dont adhere to this but I have heard it mentioned many times.

in high school it was our favorite holiday and this year G4 the video game channel did a whole themed day on it even spamming the screen with "HAPPY 420" and broadcast live from jamaica on there "attack of the show"

here is a video of some colorado kids gettin busted on campus on 420 one of my favs of all time has some foul language epic funny though

[edit on 9-5-2008 by 911fnord]

[edit on 9-5-2008 by 911fnord]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 911fnord

Yeah, that's what I always heard. That it was a group of kids who always met at that time, and it was their code for it.

When I was young and dumb, ours was baseball or business.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

lol. Char Sau Bees eh... standard criminal law codes.

Reply to OP:

Not sure dude. Maybe its some mystic universal number.

The hitchikers guide said that the answer to everything was 42... maybe 420 is just 10 times more awesome.

Maybe you should ask ATS member Dave420.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
reply to post by LOYAL

lol. Char Sau Bees eh... standard criminal law codes.

Reply to OP:

Not sure dude. Maybe its some mystic universal number.

The hitchikers guide said that the answer to everything was 42... maybe 420 is just 10 times more awesome.

Maybe you should ask ATS member Dave420.

That's kind of why I posted this, to see how many who use the 420, like dave420, if they actually knew what it meant or if they just though it was cool...

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

Also hitlers birthday or death day (cant remember which one). lol

His birthday, his death day was 10 days after his birthday.

Which is ironic - it's like God coming down from heaven on his birthday and saying "Your present is you have 10 days to live".

Anyway, this is the one that nips at the edges of my conciousness when i hear the '420' "buzz".

I never had a problem with using code-words for getting high.

Probably because i don't get off on deceiving people.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Found an answer, just one google search away:

www.concept420.com...

(May contravene T&C because its a marijuana related term)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

420 is a very old Egiptian code which represents the raibow,
just like 52 represents power this days and 603 means something not nice I dont eaven wanna get into details.. You will not run into too much info on old egiptian codes on the net. Good luck getting the full asient coe list with its meanings.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This was sent to me tonight, thought I would share...hehe

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Lots of love given! great video

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
There are plenty of existing threads on this subject guys. A quick search will turn up some reading material. However, it is now ATS policy to now discuss illegal activities. And I am sure that we can agree that any discussion on this will ultimately turn to illegal activities.

So if you wish to read up on it, threads exist on it.

Closing thread....

new topics

top topics

join