It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Create Universe Smaller Than a Marble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

At Lancaster University, they’re unraveling the secrets of how to build a universe. In fact, they have already formed one, or something very much like it. This scientific breakthrough lies in the bottom of a chamber no larger than your pinky finger, filled with helium and cooled to 0.0003 degrees Fahrenheit above absolute zero.

By placing helium in a state which most closely resembles the form it held at the beginning of the universe, scientists have created an opportunity for the gas to go through several low-energy evolutions. These defects in space-time, are represented by tiny whirlpools in the helium, which are created by the rapid expansion, and equally rapid slowing of the expansion; something that it’s believed our own universe did at the big bang and in the moments thereafter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
domino.lancs.ac.uk

[edit on 9/5/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well this reminds me of the Men in Black movie where our universe exists in just a marble that some aliens are playing with.

Of course this is not quite to the extent of creating life within one, however, if so, sign me up for one. Being able to observe something like this would be truly amazing, and really put us into perspective.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/5/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I was just wondering since there are planets and stars out there that are 100 times bigger and 1000 times bigger than the earth and even more.

Isnt it possible that our whole universe and everthing that we know might just be a bunch of little particles on one huge scaled planet or something?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Cool article. I was wondering, after reading, how time would be affected by the size of the "universe". It of course brings to mind Men In Black, what with Orion's Belt. It would be interesting to see if this data could be coupled with the Large Hadron Collider data later in the year.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
They have a little ways to go before their "universe" is interesting. I guess we will have to wait a few billion years.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Nice find Shadow, flag for you, this reminds me of Rene Korda from the Chronomaster. He designs pocket universes.
As for myself, I prefer the Matrix.

Pocket universes in science fiction

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I believe the ending of the MIB sequel conveyed this same sentiment, but it was best depicted as the final line in an old Twilight Zone episode wherein is stated (and I paraphrase) "perhaps our whole universe is merely a speck of dust on a policeman's coat"

new topics

top topics

join