It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any museum for aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Is there anyplace that houses all the fighter,bomber,and recon planes that were made in the united states after they are retired?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Google aircraft museums. You can check each site to see if they have what you are interested in.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
What aircraft are you looking for specifically? Because there isn't a museum that houses every aircraft but some that have more then others. The Dayton Ohio museum is a good one as it has most plane in an indoor storage and a fair number of one of a kind planes as well.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I don't know if any single museum has one of everything, but

The USAF Museum, Dayton Ohio, the National Air and Space Museum, Washington DC, and Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson AZ all have extensive collections.

If you're looking for World War II era aircraft, the Commemorative Air Force has wings all over the US, and keeps its warbirds in flying condition.

Another excellent collection of flight-ready birds from all eras is at Planes of Fame, Chino CA.

Enjoy

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I've been to both Dayton and the Smithsonian. Both are very excellent museums that are well worth the visit. Although keep in mind with the Smithsonian is that there's so much other stuff to go see besides aircraft that it's easy to get distracted. With the Air Force museum in Dayton there's more of a focus on the Air Force in particular (kind of a problem if you're looking for naval planes), and less to get distracted by.

Also there's a US Navy museum in Norfolk, VA that I've been too which is pretty cool. They've got some stuff on their fighter craft and that's worth a visit if you're in the area.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Im really into 50s and 60s fighters and bombers.Stuff like the xb-70,b47 52 58s,f 100-106 etc.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The Pensacola NAS museum has every aircraft the US Navy has ever flown on display. Along with some flight simulators and many other amazing displays. It's well worth the trip and admission price, it's an amazing museum.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The one closest to my neck of the woods is the Museum of Flight in Seattle at Boeing Field.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
Im really into 50s and 60s fighters and bombers.Stuff like the xb-70,b47 52 58s,f 100-106 etc.

The last surviving XB-70 is at Dayton (you lucky dogs!! :lol

Pima has a B-47 (actually, it's an EB-47E), a pair of B-52s (-D and -G models), a B-58, and a full set of the "Century series" fighters. Sounds like you might want to plan a trip to Arizona. Be warned, Arizona is an addictive place...visit once, you might wind up staying.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Looks like ill be making a trip to dayton since im from newyork.I would love to see that xb-70.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I lived 20 minutes from the Dayton Air Force Museum for around 25 years and it never got old. I would go at least 2 times a year. Awesome experience all around. The XB-70 is definitely a beautiful plane up close and personal.

If you take a trip to Dayton I would recommend you head south about an hour to Cincinnati and visit King's Island (One of the largest amusement parks in the US) and Newport Aquarium. Also maybe hit up some contacts with Wright Patterson Air force Base and try to set up a tour. It is one of the most important Air Force bases in the United States and goes many stories underground. It focuses on research and development.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Yeah isnt that were they sent the suppose recovered object from rosewell and also hanger 18 or 19 is it?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
The one closest to my neck of the woods is the Museum of Flight in Seattle at Boeing Field.

Excellent one too I might add. Its the only place you can see a D-21/M-21 combo mated together.

Also:

The Western Museum of Flight in Hawthorn, California
BlackBird Park in Palmdale, California (SR-71, A-12, and a D-21 on a dolly
Pima Air Museum (Huge with an SR-71 and other notable airframes)

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Also to add:

The flight test museum at Edwards is fantastic but has been unavalible mostly due to security concerns

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I went to Elvington on Saturday, a few miles outside York. Thats a pretty good museum where I got loads of piccies. They have various standard RAF types there, including a nice pink Buccaneer, but they also have a hangar containing, amongst other things, a complete Halifax bomber surrounded by a French AF Mirage III, genuine D-B engined Bf109 (not one of those Spanish Merlin engined ones), part restored Mosquito, Meteor F.8, Avro 504K, Blackburn 1911 monoplane, Wright Flyer, and Cayley Glider of 1854, the first heavier than air machine to fly with a man on board! Wicked!

There was also a reenactment day going on so it was a bit like stepping back in time (or a bizarre version of the past!) where 1940s civilians mingled with British, US, German and Russian military personnel of all types (USN, Afrika Korps, Home Guard etc etc)

Quite a day out!

top topics

join