It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle to Retire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Space Shuttle to Retire

www.cbsnews.com

(CBS/AP) Atlantis will be the first of NASA's three space shuttles to be retired, most likely in 2008, as the shuttle program winds down in four years, a senior agency official said Tuesday.

Atlantis' parts will be used by the remaining shuttles, Discovery and Endeavour, until the aging spacecraft are mothballed in 2010, shuttle program manager Wayne Hale told workers at the Kennedy Space Center last week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
My question is, what is the replacement? Does the TR3b go outside our atmosphere? lastly, if there is already a replacement in existance,(which there must be by this time), when will it be unvealed? I realize most of you don't work at NASA or have any inside info than is available on the net, but I am very curious after being a small kid and learning about the SR71 only to have it retired soon after it was introduced to the public. Then the Stealth fighter and B2 were introduced. I am confident most of the triangle sightings are the future vehicle, but I want to know more now.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What the heck is a TR3b? They're giving up on the 'space plane' thing.

As far as I know, the official replacement is the Constellation program.

Good riddance to the shuttle, it's a delicate Cold War relic that can't do any real science but float in low Earth orbit, grow worms, and occasionally blow up.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Okay, where to start.... First, your source article is from February 21 of 2006 - hardly breaking news.

Second, Atlantis is currently scheduled to fly until 2010, per the linked article. The decision to continue flying Atlantis until 2010 was made in January of this year - and, considering that the flight manifest until 2010 has been modified to reflect this extension, none of the shuttles is likely to be retired any sooner.

Third, there is no reliable evidence that the TR3B actually exists - at least none that I am aware of and consider reliable. It is far more likely someone mis-heard the nomenclature "Tier 3B" in reference to a UAV or some some project.

Lastly - as Matguy404 points out, the Constellation Program - and, specifically, the Orion vehicle, is scheduled to replace the shuttle. Orion is an Apollo-style capsule. NASA plans to launch Orion on a modified 5-segment Solid Rocket Booster (SRB) modified from the existing 4-segment Shuttle SRBs which will be topped by a liquid-fueled second stage, itself topped by Orion.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I am new to this area, so I made a mistake as to post this in the breaking news section. Sorry. As for the TR3b, that is the beleived nomenclature for the ofshoot of the Aurora programs finished product. I have no proof of that other than other's opinions. The flying triangle that is seen and phtographed often is most likely the TR3b. (in my opinion.) I happened to see this information on the nasa channel while flipping through nothing to watch a year or so ago and it has been on my mind ever since.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

a list of the planned shuttle missions (all options will be taken)

STS-133 looks to be the final flight in 2010 - Endeavour to fly with atlantis going on STS-131 - NASA are even asking for more flights after this time - as cargo is being bumped around given that officially there are 9 flights left (both options taken)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
NASA Successfully Completes First Series Of Ares Engine Tests

NASA engineers Thursday successfully completed the first series of tests in the early development of the J-2X engine that will power the upper stages of the Ares I and Ares V rockets, key components of NASA's Constellation Program. Ares I will launch the Orion spacecraft that will take astronauts to the International Space Station and then to the moon by 2020.

The Ares V will carry cargo and components into orbit for trips to the moon and later to Mars.

NASA conducted nine tests of heritage J-2 engine components from December to May as part of a series designed to verify heritage J-2 performance data and explore performance boundaries.

Source

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhloydPhan
Third, there is no reliable evidence that the TR3B actually exists - at least none that I am aware of and consider reliable. It is far more likely someone mis-heard the nomenclature "Tier 3B" in reference to a UAV or some some project.

Bingo! A man on the money!

The TR-3B is an urban myth.

All you will find on the web is rehashed hypothesis and wild speculation based on Nick Cooks ideas in "The Hunt for Zero Point"

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
In 2005, I saw a triangle shaped craft hovering over the Kent Valley, in WA. It was dusk outside and still quite light. It had some kind of reflective coating on the outside that at times almost made it invisible, at other times it was very clearly black with 3 circles at each end of the triangle. It would fly up thousands of feet in seconds and then hover. Sometimes it would drop down thousands of feet and sway back and forth like a feather. The wierdest part was, at one point it went way way up in the sky, and you know when you look at the exhaust from a jet engine it looks kind of like a mirage, it did that, and then I swear it was like a little seam in the sky opened up, the thing flew into it, the seam closed up behind it and it was gone. I've heard of many night time versions of flying triangles, where they are illuminated. This was during the late afternoon and it did not have lights on. If you go on youtube, and type in uk tr3b you'll see one almost identical to what I saw, except the one I saw moved a lot more. It's speed was incredible. Some amazing technology does exist, I saw it with my own eyes. I don't know what they are planning with this technology, but I hope and pray they put it to good use for all of humanity. Because it's been seen in so many other countries especially around military bases, It makes me think that other governments are involved. I hope they can make a wonderful announcement about this. The people can handle this news, WE'RE READY FOR IT! Use it for the greater good!

new topics

top topics

join