It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sues for recognition of 1st presidents!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Man sues for recognition of 1st presidents!!!

www.upi.com

PALM BEACH, Fla., May 7 (UPI) -- A Florida man has sued the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, seeking recognition of 10 men he says served as president before George Washington.

Samuel Klos of Palm Beach argues that the men who headed the government under the Constitution of 1777, or the Articles of Confederation, deserve the same attention as Washington and his successors, the Tampa Tribune reported.

"If you go into the national archive, the first thing that greets you is the Treaty of Paris proclamation signed under the great seal of the United States of America by our president, Thomas Mifflin," Klos says. "It ended the war with Great Britain."

The reason for Klos's suit against Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson is the Presidential Coin Act, which decreed the minting of a series of $1 coins bearing the portraits of every president. Klos argues that the series should begin with Samuel Huntington of Connecticut, who became president when the Continental Congress adopted the 1777 Constitution.

To historians who say that Huntington, Mifflin and the other pre-1789 presidents did not have the power of the later ones, Klos says that in some ways they had more. They were heads of a unicameral government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Correct me if i'm wrong The presidents before George Washington had no executive authority and were merely presidents of the continental congress. Is this just a case of a man with too much time on his hands?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think that it means something that the people of the times considered George Washington to be the first president and the father of our nation.

I wouldn't argue that perhaps those inidividuals should get a little credit, but to revise their place in history is a bit much.

Thomas Mifflin (January 10, 1744 – January 20, 1800) was an American merchant and politician from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was a major general in the Continental Army during the American Revolution, a member of the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly, a Continental Congressman from Pennsylvania, fifth President of the U.S. Congress under the Articles of Confederation, and a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1787. He served as Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, President of the Pennsylvania Supreme Executive Council and the first Governor of Pennsylvania. [emphasis mine]

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2008/5/8 by GradyPhilpott]

join