It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman fined $400 for killing police officer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

You can bet that unless the woman is a psychopath, her life will be changed forever and she will definitely need counseling.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
My perosnal opinion

This policy is great and every police department in the world should embrace

it. Be warned people the long arm of the law is all seeing and if you speed

you will get caught.

well that has been my opinion

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think this is just a good example that justice is not always achieved.Is this the whole story because there has to be more.Who kills somebody over a speeding ticket,this just doesn't make sense to me.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Truth Behind Lies]

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Truth Behind Lies]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
They do that stuff all the time in florida. I am really surprised a cop has not gotten killed before this. This policy of jumping out in moving traffic to stop a speeder is ludicris it creates a public danger and is nothing more than a technique to generate money for city hall. Twice I have seen accidents casued by cops jumping out like that forcing the whole flow of traffic to screach to a halt. Once I got stopped that way and I told the cop you guys are crazy one of these days someone is not going to stop and your going to get killed. His response was "thats what brakes are for" I replied there have been many times I couldn't afford to get my brakes done and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there in the same position, one day one of you are going to get killed. At that I got in the truck and left with a $180 speeding ticket.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by photobug]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Another prime example that the 'dumbing down of America' has been a HUGE success. 1st for the policy to be put in place... 2nd for the cops to actually do it. C'mon... simple common or good sense should have kicked in with either one of those steps in this process.

It also goes to show that most of these cops are easily influenced/brainwashed into accepting and following orders... ANY orders... regardless of how stupid... regardless if they are right or wrong. And that should concern everyone in this country, greatly.

Additionally, he chose this profession. No one forced him into it. This profession caters to and seeks out weak-minded, power-hungry individuals, imo.

[edit on 5/9/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   

AT LEAST THEY FINED HER

If your a police officer in Canada at least, it seems like EVERY shadow of doubt is applied to any case involving an officer resulting in NO CONVICTION for ANYTHING. Courts seem to be reluctant to prosecute and find guilty officers of any wrong doing. If the system is applied in the same manner for all of us thats fine but it seems to be stacked deck in the favour of ANY Officer.
Police officers do a difficult job..and its not going to get easier BUT they have to be held to account when they cross the line and injure a person or use excessive force.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Wow. I have never seen this “step-out” technique used in the U.S. and am actually shocked that departments are employing it here. I have seen it several times in Ireland however, where the officer (usually two) stood on the shoulder with a tripod mounted radar and confidently stepped out into the road with a raised hand to stop a speeder. And the speeder SLOWED and PULLED OVER! I saw this occur on major interstates as well as 2-lane county roads where the officer(s) was apparently dropped off as there was no patrol car in sight. I was speechless this first time I saw it and knew that I was about to witness a fatality. To me that shows much respect for the law. I thought if that ever happened in the U.S., the officer would be (A) promptly killed or (B) eating dust as the driver flipped him off and sped away.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Spooner69]

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Spooner69]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think this "Step-Out" policy is the police department's attempt to save on gas money!

Instead of wasting gas idling in a cruiser until a speeding car comes by, only to pull out and quickly accelerate to pull the violator over and then keep your vehicle running throughout the lengthy ticket or warning-issuing process, they just have a cop jump out in front of you with his hand up!! With most police cars being V-8 Crown Vic's or gas-guzzling SUV's, and with gas prices at an all-time high, it makes sense for police to reduce their time behind the wheel. Now, if only the ethanol craze wasn't driving up the prices for feed, then I'd recommend that police start going on horseback again!!!

And for those of you who were unable to detect my obvious sarcasm, this was all a joke!

But on a serious note, I feel bad for this officer and his family. He is dead because of a stupid policy and the failure of a woman to give the proper attention to driving that you're supposed to. I also don't understand why it is that the officer must jump out in the path of the vehicle in order to stop them! If they're going to have a policy like this, then why can't the officer just stand in the shoulder of the road or somewhere safe and signal for the driver to pull over? It's not as though you won't notice a police officer standing in the shoulder of the road, especially if he is using some kind of obvious signal to get your attention. And even if a person doesn't notice the officer in the shoulder signaling them, then at least the cop can get the driver's license plate #. That sure beats the hell out of having a dead police officer and a driver that has to live the rest of their life knowing that they accidentally took the life of a man.

At this rate, it won't be long until the police start throwing out spike strips to get you to stop! That's about as stupid a thing to do as this Step-Out policy!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
That "step out" policy is ???? errr, I'll go with dumb -- just so as not to break T&C's.

I can't speak for any other country... But in the UK a big tenant in the highway code is that 'by your actions you should NEVER cause any other road user to break or change direction' - I'm sure that's not the specific wording but that was what I was taught, of course it's a guide line rather than a rule, but jumping out in front of a speeding vehicle?? dumb policy, and IMO dumb person for following that policy.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
What is even more stupid then the idea of a Cop standing in front of traffic is the inane idea that anyone whould actually STOP for them. In Arizona, you do not have to stop for anything but a properly marked police vehicle with lights and siren ACTIVATED.

People have no reason to stop for some idiot standing in the road, you have to avoid hitting the person, but stopping so they can give you a ticket is STUPID, I would go around them and keep going. Stupid is as stupid does, learn your rights, learn some law and stop letting these thieves in uniform get into your wallet and claim it is "public safety'.

She needs to sue the police department for damages and live the rest of her life in peace for the stupid actions of a stupid human wearing a badge and putting his own life in danger to earn a paycheck. There is nothing noble in the way this officer died, it was STUPID.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yeah if you get someone with brakes that are in need of repair then you're either A). going to be run over or B). cause the driver to swerve to avoid hitting you possibly injuring more people than just the cop standing in the road. I never imagined such a policy would exist anywhere, here in Memphis the cop would more than likely be run over. You get some sociopath behind the wheel, what better way to kill someone and be almost blameless for it? sad.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quarantine

Is this justified?

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I dont think its justified, someone died.

But in all fairness, I've seen officers jump in front of cars speeding well over 100 KM per hour with less than 500 meters of distance between them on Highway 1 in Canada. Its not safe what they do and how they do it, especially if you take into account people these days are preoccupied doing 3 things at once while behind the wheel.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Maybe the police force in question has decided that the pension fund should be used for other things

It's a dumb policy, and it is a good way to thin out the police population - only the fittest and sprightliest will have a hope of jumping out of the way in time - my major concern is the real possibility of loss of control of the vehicle and / or sudden mechanical failure, which could happen to any vehicle.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That brings up the point of every traffic officer having to pass a course in traffic safety, throwing your body out of the way of cars, etc. Maybe this guy slipped through the cracks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join