It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman fined $400 for killing police officer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yeah, I support the hell out of the police, but when one of them does something innately stupid, then they get what's coming to them. I also don't believe this woman is viewing this as "Oh, well $400 isn't that bad." She'll live the rest of her life knowing that she effectively killed someone she had no intention of harming in any manner. I knew a girl in high school that accidentally hit a kid that ran out in front of her pick-up. She actually had to be institutionalized, though absolutely no charges were filed against her because they saw the kid was 100% at fault, bolted out from behind a parked van, and there was simply nothing she could do to avoid hitting him. She spent a couple of years in and out of mental health facillities after trying to kill herself a couple of times and suffering from horrific nightmares.

In many ways, the woman in this news piece is just as much a victim of the officer's stupidity as he, himself, was.

apc

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

They're not drones. When a dumb cop does something dumb, it's 'cus he's dumb.

Survival of the fittest at work.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
When i refer to the woman's reckless actions i refer only to the fact that she was speeding. As far as the police dept changing thier policy, they haven't changed it enough. They simply changed it to say that police officers should not use this step out procedure on streets where the speed limit is 35mph or less. I have seen many peolpe doing well over 50mph on a street that has a 35mph speed limit. What they should have done was to put an end to the step out procedure all together, as you see these changes that they have enacted still show a blatant disregard for the lives of thier officers.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I submit that you know nothing at all about the deceased officer or the specific details of his death.

It does not speak well of your objectivity, to say the least, to draw conclusions about this man or his actions, especially if he acted in accordance with his training or even if he just plain made a fatal mistake.

Regardless of whether or not the grand jury found sufficient evidence to return a true bill in this case, two families and a community have been shattered and that alone is deserving of some modicum of reverence.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by apc

I submit that you know nothing at all about the deceased officer or the specific details of his death.

It does not speak well of your objectivity, to say the least, to draw conclusions about this man or his actions, especially if he acted in accordance with his training or even if he just plain made a fatal mistake.

Regardless of whether or not the grand jury found sufficient evidence to return a true bill in this case, two families and a community have been shattered and that alone is deserving of some modicum of reverence.

Very well said, however, had this method been rejected from the day it was placed in operation, one less officer would be dead. No composure of words could possibly begin to explain how stupid this idea was. I hope whoevers brilliant idea this was is the one rotting away in the clink.

apc

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Infer all you want I was just stating fact.

If person A steps out in front of speeding car X, person A is a moron. If that's what happened here, well there you go. If it isn't, the statement is still true.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Infer all you want I was just stating fact.

If person A steps out in front of speeding car X, person A is a moron. If that's what happened here, well there you go. If it isn't, the statement is still true.

haha

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It's always sad when a person loses their life performing their duties,whether it's construction,essential services, police etc.
The one to blame here is the Police force for having an idiotic "step out".They have endangered,and continue to endanger a police officer's life with a policy like this.I've seen cops do it here in Calgary.Even with those yellow vests it's hard to see them through the traffic.
I had a cop step out in front of my car quite a few years ago and I damned near ran him over.I just didn't see him.The bugger jumped out into the street no more than 50 feet from my car.
Now the cops stand behind lamp posts at controlled pedestrian crossings and use the light to stop ALL traffic,then they pick out the offenders.
I understand that the police (here) are under funded and need to generate revenue,but this is ridiculous.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It is very sad to see so many people refer to this deceased person as stupid, dumb, and moron! There has been a lose of life and if that was your father, son, brother you would not appreciate those comments, no matter how big of a mistake it was for him to step out in the road.

I feel that everyone who refered to this individual as stupid or any other demeaning word should apologize, whether it is a one liner or not. That chose is up to each individual. I know cops fustrate alot of people since alot of them abuse there power, but there are good cops out there and he might have been one of them.

As a Canadian i find alot of American police procedures to be "reckless" In Canada if there is a high speed pursuit in which the person starts to drive recklessly they call off the chase. Due to the safety of the public, they catch the guy later most of the time with his license plate or citizens help. The lose of one life is too many....SAFETY FIRST.

May the family of the officer find peace in there hearts to move on, and may the women who hit the officer find peace in that she did what she could. Cause only her, herself knows if this was perventable and has to sleep at night with those thoughts.

Love and Light

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spaxz
It is very sad to see so many people refer to this deceased person as stupid, dumb, and moron! There has been a lose of life and if that was your father, son, brother you would not appreciate those comments, no matter how big of a mistake it was for him to step out in the road.

I feel that everyone who refered to this individual as stupid or any other demeaning word should apologize, whether it is a one liner or not. That chose is up to each individual. I know cops fustrate alot of people since alot of them abuse there power, but there are good cops out there and he might have been one of them.

As a Canadian i find alot of American police procedures to be "reckless" In Canada if there is a high speed pursuit in which the person starts to drive recklessly they call off the chase. Due to the safety of the public, they catch the guy later most of the time with his license plate or citizens help. The lose of one life is too many....SAFETY FIRST.

May the family of the officer find peace in there hearts to move on, and may the women who hit the officer find peace in that she did what she could. Cause only her, herself knows if this was perventable and has to sleep at night with those thoughts.

Love and Light

There's a difference between being an idiot and being forced to be an idiot. This office would have likely lost his job had he not been an idiot. Our troops in Iraq break down doors and come home in coffins with "Jihad" branded on their foreheads because their dictator forces them to be idiots.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon
The first time I saw this 'Step-Out-Technique' used i nearly hit the guy. The speed limit was 45, and I was going probably about 50ish.

Sorry, this technique should be banned all-together.....

I wholeheartedly agree.

I almost hit the policeman as well. It was actually in South Africa, where people run into the road regularly because of lax traffic regulations. I thought this was the case, but I realised the chap was wearing a uniform.

Turns out I was doing 160 in a 120 zone... oops

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spaxz

I had no intent to insult anyone's memory. I stated that it was a an idiotic policy. It was dumb of this cop to follow a policy that was so dangerous to himself. People, good and bad, do dumb things all the time, and often pay the price.

I hold no ill feelings towards the dead man, I never knew him. But I also don't know a lot of people that die for really dumb reasons. (Like the guy in my area stealing copper from new home construction sites. He cut through a live 220 volt wire and was found fried when workers showed up the next morning.) I feel bad for the family, but feeling sorrow for the loss doesn't make it one whit smarter on his part.

Stupid is as stupid does.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If he was actually 'protecting and serving' he wouldn't be bothering motorists, and would actually be trying to catch criminals.

All they care about is making the money off traffic offenses, the police departments have been bought out also.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
She may have been negligent but his death really was the officers fault I mean cars aren't that wide how long would you stand in front of a moving car that wasn't slowing down before taking the three steps necessary to get out of the way. And as others have said this really is an insane policy that puts officers at risk and could potentially cause all sorts of accidents.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
True.

I mean, if anything its the legislators who came up with this retarded policy who should be slammed with court summons.

There is such a thing as a soldier who is too obedient to think for himself... this sad story proves that the cop (RIP), was definitely one of them.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Hopefully the cop's family will sue the city

I didn't know being stupid enough to follow stupid orders was cause for litigation. Not to be antagonistic, but if he's dumb enough to follow this proceedure...well, you can guess where I'm going with this.

It's like my boss ordering me to jump off a bridge and if I do it, can my family sue?

I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to walk out in front of a moving vehicle. No offense to anyone.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightmare0

Thats a good point, and its exactly what the problem might have been. I had an officer step out in front of my sister, I was in the passenger seat, she had the brakes locked up and skidding because he only gave her 75 ft to stop from 40 MPH. He did not budge. My sister turned to the left and hit another car head on. The brilliant officer gave my sister a ticket for reckless driving. The speed limit was 40 MPH. When we got to court, My sisters lawyer asked the cop why he initialy stopped her. He said because she was speeding. He then asked why no ticket. Cop coiuldn't answer. We walked out with case dismissed and the town dept paid for the damage for both vehicles. ITS A DUMB PROCEDURE !
Zindo

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Really dumb policy - It was only a matter of time before someone got killed. I feel bad for his family, but he made a stupid mistake and paid the ultimate price. I'm surprised they didn't try to charge her for manslaughter - they usually like to get revenge.

Last year I had one step out - not in front of me but he leaped out one lane from me, pointed at me and motioned me to pull over. I had my sunglasses on and didn't flinch one bit - thus creating the illusion that I didn't see him, so he had a no argument had he decided to pursue me. I figured If he wants to give me a ticket he's gonna have to jump on his motorcycle and work for it. It was in a sixty zone not even doing 65 and of course he could of caught me, had he really wanted too but he didn't bother even getting on his bike - he just waited for the next easier catch.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Thanks for relating that story. I was wondering what would happen it the motorist swerved to miss the officer and crashed. I don't think the policy was thought through when designed. I suppose had she been drinking she would have been in real trouble.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wow, when I saw the title I was expecting a different sort of story. The woman shouldn't have been speeding; however, I doubt that woman will ever speed again. She'll probably need therapy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join