It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: Leader Of Al Qaeda In Iraq Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Iraq: Leader Of Al Qaeda In Iraq Arrested

www.cbsnews.com

The leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, was arrested in the northern city of Mosul, the Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday.

Mohammed al-Askari said the arrest of al-Masri, also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, was confirmed to him by the Iraqi commander of the province. There was no immediate confirmation or comment from U.S. forces.

News of the arrest was also reported by Iraqi state television.

"The commander of Ninevah military operations informed me that Iraqi troops captured Abu Hamza al-Muhajir the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq," al-Askari told The Associated Press by telephone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.signonsandiego.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.usatoday.com
edition.cnn.com

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is good news, and I hope they get some good information out of him. Although, I foresee a lot of high profile arrests the closer we get to the elections.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

It seams like every time the press coverage of Iraq goes sour, somehow magically another 'top leader' of al-qaeda gets captured.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
well apparantly he hasn`t been captured... or its the wrong person....or they have taken him and he`s having his teeth pulled...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
U.S. says al Qaeda in Iraq leader not captured

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. military in Iraq denied widespread reports Friday that trumpeted the capture of a top Iraqi insurgent leader.

Skeptical of the reports at first, the U.S. military is now certain that Abu Ayyub al-Masri -- the head of al Qaeda in Iraq -- has not been captured, a senior U.S. military official told CNN.

Source

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Enceladus]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
A small point - how can you capture the leader of a database???

Al qaeda is a mythical beast, much like the bogeyman, which is used to detract from other issues or used to scare the populace into giving up more of their freedoms.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
When public opinion of the war wanes, the Bush Admin has three options to rouse more support:

1. "Find" another Osama Bin Laden tape, stating something to effect of "I hate you Americans! Die! Die! I will blow you up! Raaaah!"

2. "Capture" another Al-Qaeda leader who is supposedly 2nd/3rd/4th/5th-in-command, and also Osama's/Saddam's/Al-Zarqawi's half-brother.

3. "Discover" another alleged terrorist plot that could have killed hundreds of people, but was averted in the nick of time. Surprisingly no suspects are ever charged...

[edit on 9/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

new topics

top topics

join