It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Profits Taint The Greedy Hands Of More Than 25% Of Members Of The U.S. House and Senate!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

War Profits Taint The Greedy Hands Of More Than 25% Of Members Of The U.S. House and Senate!

www.globalresearch.ca

Conflict makes money for the military industrial complex, and the cronies they place in Congress, the Senate, and the White House.

An investigation by Ralph Forbes from American Free press reported on May 05, 2008 that more than a quarter of US senators and congressmen have invested at least $196 million of their own money in companies doing business with the Department of Defense (DoD) that profit from the death and destruction in Iraq [1].

The report also edifies that 151 members of congress invested close to a quarter-billion dollars in companies that received defense contracts of at least $5 million in 2006. These companies got more than 275.6 billion from the government in 2006, or $755 million per day, according to Fedspending.org [2]. In 2004, the first full year after the current Iraq war began, Republican and Democratic lawmakers-both hawks and doves invested between $74.9 million and 161.3 million in companies under contract with the DoD [1]. No wonder the Democratic congress kept approving the enormous spending bills on the war, since a significant portion of it happens to end up in their deep pockets.

(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit: spelling in title

[edit on 8-5-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is a most important subject that I see rarely recieves any attention...Every time I report on it, the thread recieves one or two replies, then dies a quick death...Yet it may be one of the most important and crucial issues facing us all today! You want to know why these maniacs are continuously foaming at the mouth to start up one conflict or another, and constantly trying to "create" new enemies to attack? HERE'S YOUR ANSWER!

The report elucidates further that investments in these contractors yielded Congress members between $15.8 million and $62 million in personal income from 2004 to 2006, through dividends, capital gains, royalties, and interest [1]. Certainly, as the war went on and escalated, so did the increase in profits.

Interestingly, the report also mentioned that members of the senate foreign relations and armed services committees which oversee the Iraq war had between $32 million and $44 million invested in companies with DoD contracts. Per example, war hawk Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), chairman of the defense-related Senate Homeland security and Governmental Affairs Committee, had at least $51,000 invested in these companies in 2006. Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), who voted for Bush’s war, had stock in defense companies such as Honeywell, Boeing and Raytheon, but sold them in May 2007.

The below paragraph sums up to a tee what I've been trying to get across to people STILL desperately clinging to the "bi-partisan" hoopla and brainwashing---There is NO DIFFERENCE between these parties anymore---They ALL serve the same interests! The ENTIRE system has been completely corrupted and polluted with greed-mongering, special interest serving Elitists that will continue on with the destruction and looting. NONE of these people will change this destructive course, because they are all involved directly, or serving those that are!

In reality, it makes no difference which party is in charge of government despite the difference in rhetoric, because both sides happen to be on the same payroll of the global masters, and pushing the same agenda. Let’s not also forget, that in order to be elected as a high public official, whether it is a congressman or a senator you are required to have many skeletons in your closet, and a major predilection for corruption. That would enable you to be taken down anytime you cross line, or stop listening to your global corporate masters, who have financed your campaign and placed you in office in the first place.

www.globalresearch.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There are many, many other sources on this alone. I find it ridiculous that the very congress America elected to end the war is actually profiting from it and is not intent at all at doing what they promised.

This is outlined, to me, by Pelosi saying that "Impeachment is off the table". This bothers me because doing a quick google search on impeachment brings up thousands of hits from different states that are introducing bills, petition, resolutions, and even mandates on the impeachment of Bush and Cheney, as well as criminal prosecution. This congress never intended on doing what the people asked, and they never will. It would be like leaving the majority back to the republicans...It's almost as if they're in cahoots with each other.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Another good find.

Funny, isn't it, that those who are our elected leaders often have less scruples than the common men who elected them?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Every elected official who is profiting from the war is in a clear conflict of interest between their constituents (who want the damn thing ended) and their own greed. They are putting the country at further risk by continuing this unjust and illegal war, solely so they can make further profit!! They should all be tried for treason and failure to uphold their oaths of office!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
...It's almost as if they're in cahoots with each other.

IMO there is no 'almost' about it. Just because there is no 'formal' agreement between them to profit from this doesn't mean they aren't mutually aware, and supportive of the practice.

It's as if they felt they are underpaid. But really, think about it, who are they generally speaking? Lawyers and Businesspersons and wealthy socialites. What should we have expected from them, "patriotism"? Not likely.

What we need to do now is to create a list of these 'contractor' companies in question; generate a market performance time line, and 'measure' congressional and military spending alloted to those companies. Also, look at the reports indicating which congresspersons voted on certain 'spending' and control measures to determine the 'who did what' aspect of this 'war profiteering.'

Don't look for the media to do this. They are too busy airing episodes of "Cops", and "Who is my baby's daddy?"

S&F'd. I wish I were unemployed so I could put together a legal brief to demonstrate first hand to these greedy con artists what it means to be 'threatened' by the internet.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Starred, flagged and deeply appreciated. Thank you. Demostooges and Republistooges are a bunch of lieing, stealing, whore mongering, sodomites.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
this dosent surprise me at all. infact it just prvides facts and statistics to what i already knew. even if a dem gets in as prez this upcoming election nothing substantial will change sure maybe they will pull us out of iraq but they will just drum up some other war, conflict or reason to continue to pump large amounts of goverment money in to defense contractors and privatized milatary.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

Indeed, but the ever-corrupted and infiltrated CorpoMedia has once again duped the population this election year by focusing on everything BUT these issues, and in essence they have steered everyone back into the "democrat vs republican" 3-Ring, Barnum & Bailey's Circus act. Everyone is yet again buying into the bi-partisan nonsense with more cleverly crafted misdirection by TPTB and their propaganda machine, the MSM. Look forward to another 4 years of insanity, no matter WHICH "Corpo-Candidate" is voted in.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
in essence they have steered everyone back into the "democrat vs republican" 3-Ring, Barnum & Bailey's Circus act. Everyone is yet again buying into the bi-partisan nonsense with more cleverly crafted misdirection by TPTB and their propaganda machine, the MSM. Look forward to another 4 years of insanity, no matter WHICH "Corpo-Candidate" is voted in.

Once again, the false dichotomy prevails! The majority of Americans, unfortunately, have been brainwashed from birth to believe that there are only two possible choices, R or D. I, for one, cannot comprehend how people can be so stupid as to not see that they are really the same party with different names!

Sure, historically, the two parties have been ideologically at odds with one another, but in the last couple of decades, they have slowing been merging ideals so that it is hard to tell the John McCains of the world apart form the Hillary Clintlers or Barak Obamas!

And with people really seeming to believe that there are only two choices, even though nothing could be further from the truth, I am fast loosing faith in our system. When in reality it could be changed overnight by the lot of us waking up and saying "NO MORE!!", and voting independent/3rd party. But somehow, I have doubts that the average American will look up long enough from their Oreo Pizza to even notice.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here is another article that was discussed, on the same subject, just a month ago on ATS Breaking Alternative News.

151 Congressmen Derive Financial Profit From War
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I'll just repeat what I wrote there!

After thinking about how WRONG this is for these politicians to be able to make money like this, I think there REALLY should be some sort of "Congressional Police", not linked in any way to Congress, but to the Judicial Branch that sets a code of "ethics/morals", rules that these politicians HAVE to follow or they will be thrown out of their "CLUB!

If you don't play by the rules, you get kicked out of your little club (Congress)!

We can't count on them "policing" themselves obviously, so what this government NEEDS is a system in place that will keep them on there toes, and looking over their shoulders when they are doing something immoral or unethical in respect to the position that "We the People" allow them to hold in OUR government!

They will NEVER change laws that will restrict them on how they can make money (not that they're greedy or anything!), so we'll just call them rules they'll have to follow to remain one of the "elite" or they're fired!

Something NEEDS to be done, maybe not just the way I put it, BUT SOMETHING!

[edit on 5/8/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wow nice find.
Might be stupid but I think they shouldn't be allowed to own any part of companies involved in war business, and they shouldn't be professionals politicians anyway, like in my country where they can be elected to 3 or 4 different functions...(mayor, ministre....) that just sucks.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

Keeb,

The problem is that most American firmly believe that '3rd party' = 'throw away your vote.' They actually have this 'meme' programmed into us, you see in comedy shows, on talk shows, the talking heads repeat it ad infinitum, I even heard 'Kang' say it on a Halloween episode of "The Simpsons"!

I think that rather than struggle against that deeply entrenched belief we need to create a 'new' approach, perhaps decrying the fact that "Americans need a Second Party!".

In all thing we must insist that the Republicrats are a single party.

-they work towards the same agendas
-they are equally guilty of the same abuses and incompetence
-they are equally disconnected from the nations needs and wishes

"America needs a second party!" could be a voter's movement campaign slogan! I'm gonna copyright that sucker!

Woohoo!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marmelade
Wow nice find.
Might be stupid but I think they shouldn't be allowed to own any part of companies involved in war business,

They shouldn't be involved in or have an interest in ANY business that they can award contracts to!

It's called a "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" and should not be happening!

It's illegal for private citizens to participate in unethical "Conflict of Interest "dealings in the business/financial world, why aren't our politicians held up to the same standards of ethics?

It's just wrong, so, so wrong! And SHOULD be illegal and those who were participating in this nonsense should be put in prison!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
they are war profiters no other way to say,man these guys sholud be put in jail but that won't happen because the game is fixed.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Seems to be a problem repeated throughout the western world. Very few politicians go into politics to try and change things for the better or to stand up for what they believe in (do they believe in anything anymore?).

The vast majority go into politics to line the pockets of them and their friends or families, to satisfy their vulgar lust for power and as a crude means to raise themselves above the common (lesser) people.

Mostly just pigs at the trough with not a shred of dignity, decency or honour between them.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Chris McGee

This is perfectly stated...Getting "into the system" is likened to a giant lottery ticket to these people...They get huge money tossed at them by lobbyists for all types of shady crap, and as we see above, they can actually invest in corps with shady agendas and help them ram through those agendas to GUARANTEE obscene profits on their investments. The problem is, their investments and profiteering often ride on enormous amounts of death, destruction and suffering to everyone else, both foreign and domestic. It's absolutely sinister and sickening. And most americans don't even have a clue this type of filth is going on almost daily.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

They shouldn't be involved in or have an interest in ANY business that they can award contracts to!

It's called a "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" and should not be happening!

Of course you're right but I think while it's quite easy to avoid this in war business, what about an entrepreneur who become mayor or whatever ? do we ask them to sell his / her business ? Or do we ask all valuable company owners not to get involved in politic ?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marmelade
what about an entrepreneur who become mayor or whatever ? do we ask them to sell his / her business ? Or do we ask all valuable company owners not to get involved in politic ?

It's their choice! They can be an entrepreneur or they can be a politician!

You shouldn't be able to vote as a politician to award yourself government contracts! (Talk about having your bread buttered on both sides!) To be able to do that is every contractors dream!

But I'll bet you 99.99% of ALL the politicians in D.C. didn't have ANY vested interests in any company that they now award contracts to .
Just make their company ineligible to be awarded contracts by the government, or at the VERY LEAST make it illegal for him to lobby for his company in Congress or to vote on contracts to be awarded to his company!

Being able to vote for and award huge contracts to companies you are vested in so that you can profit from it is not the way our founding fathers intended for our government to work.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There may be a better solution.

To state that a businessman couldn't be a good public servant would be patently unfair, especially since we do profess to believe in equality.

It would be unruly and cumbersome to try and fix things so all public servants are somehow 'isolated' from any activity that 'might' in some way contribute to their business activity.

How about this:

A public servant, both during his or her tenure in service and for a specified period afterwards must open all financial activity for public audit. Any such self-serving activity would then be 'open' for public debate and review. If you're not ripping off the people that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Full Disclosure - Transparent Oversight - problem solved.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join