It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010: D-day for the Internet as it hits "full capacity"? (Internet running out of bandwidth!!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

2010: D-day for the Internet as it hits "full capacity"? (Internet running out of bandwidth!!!)

tech.yahoo.com

Doom-filled warnings arrive from AT&T this week. The company says that without substantial investment in network infrastructure, the Internet will essentially run out of bandwidth in just two short years.

Blame broadband, says AT&T. Decades of dealing with the trickle of bandwidth consumed by voice and dialup modems left AT&T twiddling its thumbs. The massive rise of DSL and cable modem service in the 2000s has had AT&T facing a monstrous increase in the volume of data transmissions. And that's set to increase another 50 times between now and 2015. That's enough, says AT&T, to all but crash the system
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The government must not allow AT&T to pull this garbage. .
Net neutrality must be preserved. Government and/or corporations cannot be allowed to dictate internet traffic to this degree.

There is reason to be concerned

tech.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
i'm not too saavy on the whole computer bandwidth thing, but it almost sounds like a scare tactic to get people to change to AT&T to "avoid" the "imminent" crash, its like a spinoff to global warming, scare everyone into paying more to save the internet, or maybe i'm just a cynic

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MiRRoR_MuSiC

Not to worry. AT&T will save the world. All it needs is a few billion of your hard earned dollars, or perhaps even a government handout. Problem solved.

Sorry, AT&T, but I'm calling BS on this one.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Let's see:

What's the world running out of?

Oil
Food
Clean water
Freedom

...And now, Internet bandwidth?

How about patience?

...with monopolistic multinational corporations that destroy competition by swamping markets with cheap goods, then consolidate by buying up their failing rivals, then once they hold huge market shares, create false shortages to scare the public and reap huge windfall profits?

Enron and its manipulation of California's electricity "crisis" was a look into the future, which is becoming our present.

Edit to add: time to break up AT&T again.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by gottago]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
AT&T is once again, in true pseudo-governmental form, relying on general unfamiliarity to 'enforce' any angle they can to inch towards defeating the concept of net neutrality. This is about control. They want to control the traffic for profit, and as long as they are prohibited from doing that, they will continue to concoct scenarios like this one.

Their 'infrastructure' claims will lead to just another excuse to tack on charges and fees - it's the ever increasing profit that's in jeopardy here, not the net.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The Grid

Ladies and Gentleman...this story is an example of a B.S. attempt to induce fear and insecurity into the population. The moral of the story is "What will you do without AT&T now that your day to day is dependent on them?"

They do this to distract you from what is important and to help you rationalize when they raise prices in the future....

I am bored of these blatant tactics...I recommend you do your own research. The above link took me two minutes to find via the search option on this site. I wonder what I could have gotten via google...

I see no reason why AT&T should not go on "twiddling their thumbs".....

top topics

join