It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burma/Myanmar Reject Aid Workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

The UN says its first aid flight has now arrived in Burma, bringing much needed relief to up to one million people made homeless by Cyclone Nargis.

The flights had been delayed because of Burma's reluctance to accept help, causing growing international concern.

The US says it has not yet been given permission to fly aid into Burma - despite earlier reports that it had.

From BBC News

Any thoughts on why one of the world's poorest countries would be refusing aid? Are they hiding something or just afraid of an invasion?

I've also heard that they are refusing many international aid workers visas to enter the country, and limiting the access of those who are already there - a very easy thing to do when you're not starving, or dying from exposure or lack of access to clean water.

(P.S. Long-time lurker, but this is my first post
)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Then why are there reports of relief supplies already on the ground?

Here is one such link...

www.iht.com...

BANGKOK: The first seven tons of United Nations relief supplies arrived in Myanmar by aircraft Thursday after days of excruciating delay during which the insular military junta resisted international offers of large-scale aid.

American officials said they also appeared to be close to an agreement with the government to send in aid and disaster experts, despite the acrimonious relations between the two nations and blunt recent criticisms of the junta by President George W. Bush and his wife Laura.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I'm not denying that they are (finally) accepting some help - just wondering why they would create "excruciating" delays in accepting it.

The Aid Effort

The above article lists aid that has already been accepted, and is on its way - but notes that both France and the US, amongst others are still waiting for permission to act.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PiratePiPi

You are correct... I misread your post. Sorry about that.

Regardless Burma/Myanmar is infamously secretive and has a status internationally only above that of Sudan, Somilia and North Korea so it really doesn't surprise me at all.

The generals who rule the country have proven time and time again that they don't give a rats ass about the people, just power.

new topics

top topics

join