It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Discovery of an object in our Galaxy? which astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years? If it is an object shall we exclude dark energy, dark matter, alien life etc from the list? if not what it would be? Suns twin? a new planet in our solar system? Discovery of an earth like planet? planet X? I feel it would be better to wait till they announce it. Instead of guessing hard and getting a not so wonderful announcement.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Can some one wake me up when Nasa stops playing games with us OH!! wait i'm going to be sleeping for a long long time

The big announcement will not be a (Big Bang) that alot of people on here will be looking for.

NO planet X no ufos

They will never tell us the truth

We are NOTHING BUT Mushrooms to them

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
NASA will likely announce they are all just robots made by aliens, and were about to become dinner?

no seriously i hope its good news.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
It better be life spotted, alien contact, or something good.

If we don't make contact with intelligent life by the time I die, I'm going to be super pissed.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by phaistonian

Thanks for the article. My first thought was they are going to annouce finding water, for sure, on Mars. But what was NASA's mission to start with, we have to think about that. It was to find life. Life and other planets that are like are own, with the same properties. I can't wait for this mystery to unfold.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I find it odd that tonight all of the NASA websites are not working. I have not been able to get on one since I first read this thread.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
This is NASA's 50yr old mission statement:

To understand and protect our home planet; to explore the universe and search for life; to inspire the next generation of explorers ... as only NASA can

This is the 'new' mission statement as of this year, altered by the Bush administration:

to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.”

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

You appear to be quite presumptuous about me, about what I have studied, and about the topic that was being hinted at. Not only that but you personally attack me in a slightly indirect manner, which necessitates this response. So allow me to make some assumptions about yourself, based on what you wrote and the tone you used. Your reply indicates you yourself have not studied the implications and historical background, right down to the 'basic science', behind the subject I avoided referring to (plasma physics.) Hence your response to me is itself clearly driven by nothing more than ego and a bias for the mainstream paradigm, and as usual it even garnered a bunch of stars from people who think just like you.

For instance, you claim that I was debunking gravity. Negative, Plasma cosmology does not throw out a force that has obvious implications. It incorporates gravity. However the gravitationally based paradigm that is ignorant (in the literal sense of the word, electromagnetism is ignored) is what has been debunked. Have you forgotten to check out the IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science journals, especially the special issues on Plasma Cosmology? Perhaps you have read the several books on the subject? Unfortunately your comments toward me indicate that you have clearly not. Hence, is not your own bias towards the gravitational paradigm based itself on, as you stated, "belief or lack of understanding."?

Also, by your logic the cosmology propounded by a Nobel laureate who played a major role in initiating a paradigm shift, is pseudoscience and not scientific revolution?

You appear to live in the delusion that science rewards those who topple old paradigms, as if there is no entrenched interest that would fight against the revolutionary. Never mind the fact that there are thousands of salaries at stake, that there are entire institutions built around the old paradigm which would be forced to admit they are wrong, adapt or go under. Never mind the fact that the entire system is built around keeping the status quo as long as possible while vilifying any who come along to overturn it. Never mind that you appear to have based your opinion on the standard whitewash definition of scientific revolution, rather than any actual first hand experience trying to overturn a very entrenched paradigm from within the academic and scientific institutions.

I concede that in some scientific enterprises, where there is little entrenched status quo, yes scientists are rewarded for bringing to light a new paradigm. But this is Cosmology I am talking about, one of the most deeply entrenched topics in science. When deeply imbedded interests are at stake, the whitewash version of scientific revolution is not applicable. Rather, one must apply theory as laid out by Thomas Kuhn, for instance, along with other applicable anthropological ideas concerning cultural context and how it relates to changing a process of learning. It is no easy task to topple an old paradigm.

For NASA to come forward and announce/admit they found evidence of a ‘double layer on a massive scale’ or ‘clear proof of filamentary current between stars’ or ‘a pinch/instability mechanism driving the observations that have been previously attributed to black holes’ or ‘the mechanism behind the apparent background radiation being caused instead by localized ongoing process rather than some elusive remnant of an event billions of years ago’, then I for one would celebrate and feel that science indeed is progressing the way it should. Until then, the agency and its alleged ‘scientists’ are, in my opinion, little more than mainstream shills.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

Atomically coerces through electromagnetism.

Very well said. Very well said. Well, I'm looming in a pinch of speechlessness, so do didact the misinformed and verbally mirroring status quo interminably.

It would be a day of exuberance for truth seekers and aggrandized folly exposed for the followers if an organization such as NASA ever revealed in a simple manner, such scientific complexities to the public instead of the distorted paradigm of lackluster penguin fodder that is circulated and reverberated amongst the ignorant and emotionally avaricious Human entities that grasp onto whatever the new dreamy illogical God may be.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I found this part particuarly funny from a link earlier:

"The hot gas that we see in this bridge or filament is probably the hottest and densest part of the diffuse gas in the cosmic web, believed to constitute about half the baryonic matter in the universe,"

-Norbert Werner from SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research, leader of the team reporting the discovery.

the 'hot gas' that they refer to is where 'plasma' should be read, maybe they're announcing that they have found electric currents running through plasma or 'hot gas that connects entire galaxies?

Or maybe they've found The bigest black hole ever!! EVER!!

either way, I'll be taking whatever they announce with a shrug and a smile.

thanks. EMM

www.esa.int...

[edit on 9-5-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I think they will announce something unlike any other NASA announcement before. I bet they will lie

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I hope it isnt news that they have lost contact with Phoenix.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by davidifty

astronomers were looking to lost contact with pheonix for 50 years?

did you even read the 4 sentences?

[edit on 9-5-2008 by CzErased]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Again -- I KNOW THE ANSWER!

This is from a source directly connected to NASA. I cannot say who.

NASA is going to announce that they have discovered the youngest supernova ever spotted in our galaxy. I'm not sure the significance of this, but it's certainly less sexy than some of the imaginative speculations we've been reading on this thread.

This is the answer. Trust me. End of conversation.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by behindthescenes

all right, we heard you the first time you dont have to scream.

we'll see if you are right.

if what you say is true, then i think is pretty cool, i wonder how beautiful it is. and how dangerous it is for us here on the third rock.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by CzErased]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sorry if this was posted already, i couldn't read through all the bickering throughout this thread.

But, if anyone is hopeing or thinking what they've found is "life" somewhere out there in our galaxy...., forget it.

The article clearly said it's an "object" they've been looking for for 50 years. I don't think life would be classified as an object.

Also it's nothing in our solar system, or they would have said Solar system, not galaxy. So forget Planet X as well.

My first guess after reading the article was Super massive Black hole in the center of the galaxy.

Although it could be anything really. a planet located at a good distance from it's sun made of rock. All they seem to find is Gas giants in the supposed "sweet spots" of other solar systems. Then again maybe they just can see them, since they're 1000 times smaller than the Gas Giants they have trouble detecting. So this one seems unlikely as well.

Comet? I don't know much about them,have any been on the missing for the past 50 years?

Dark Matter? Again, I don't think the word object would be used to describe the finding of dark matter, as it's matter, not really an object, so rule that one out.

Wormhole? I doubt it, they'd never make this public, imo. Well at least not at this point in time.

So I'm gonna stick with my gut and go with some sort of black hole, or Super Massive BH, at the center of our galaxy. But I thought they had already found that? Maybe they just thought it was very likely by didn't have concrete evidence and now they do? *shrug*

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Common sense, reason and logic tells you that this information they are going to release is important to only a very small, minor segment of the population (scientist, astronomers, nerds) and concerns something that is not very important. So any speculation concerning this release being something huge is born from ignorance of how things work and the inability to use common sense.

As far as the guy who said something to the effect of "why wait, can't they release it now if its so important?" That statment is too born of ignorance concerning the scientific and media community, and if you settle down, think for a moment, it will be clear to you why they do it in this manner.

If I need to explain further, plain and simple, your a reason the UFO community is looked upon as outcast weirdos who will believe anything and see a conspiracy in everything. You guys propagate this stereotype with reckless abandon, and ruin the only hope of actually finding out more because you play into the hand that feeds so to speak.

Sorry to be so blunt, but its reality. Continue to scream about things of which you have no clue, while making reckless guesses based on your ignorance, and the only thing you do is help to ensure that this subject remains fodder for casual humor.

Right right......anyone who mentions ANYTHING about Planet X is stark raving mad. Yup...you know, your argument totally makes sense!!

Oh.........yeah, by the way!
news.sbs.com.au...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Who knows, maybe they'll reveal their own researched evidence for an Electric Universe. I know NASA isn't in charge of scientific theory or anything but they would have the opportunity to make those types of observations.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by behindthescenes

i dont think they were searching for the youngest supernova for 50 yrs. call me silly but how would they know for sure that its the youngest. have they found all supernovas and confirmed that this is the youngest for sure. another younger supernova discovered anytime could refute it.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I suspect they are going to confirm what was previously theorised, that there is a supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy. Either that, or they may have discovered a "primordial black hole" which Hawking Theorised in 74. Its not quite 50 years, but it is close.
Primordial Black Holes

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join