It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My guess is it's simply a supernova. Since this one is observed directly, yes it's the youngest supernova in Milky Way. No biggie, he he.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
When you read the news release it says "the discovery of an object in our Galaxy astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years" So what could it be that we have been looking for? Well, a Planet that can support Human life.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It would be nice if they looked at a portion of the universe and saw our solar system 4 billion years ago. That would be nice.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ionized
...because Nasa is a mainstream Shill and propaganda head for the gravitationally based cosmological paradigm.

One that has been observed and proven through the test of time countless times. Science works in a fashion so that major theories are targets for bright new theorists to tackle. It rewards such ventures. The very field of physics is fueled by Scientific revolutions. The pseudoscience projected by you and others in this thread on the other hand are based on either belief or lack of understanding. In order to debunk gravity you're going to have to convince not only NASA but everybody else who deals in even the most basic of Sciences. Even old models are useful in their relative contexts.

Anyways, just because one can think up a new cover for a book doesn't mean that cover depicts the content of said book faithfully.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberflunk

I have a feeling that especially with the Chandra that this is what it is

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

The outer Oort cloud is believed to contain several trillion individual comet nuclei larger than approximately 1.3 km[1] (about 500 billion with absolute magnitudes[12] brighter than 10.9), with neighboring comets typically tens of millions of kilometres apart.[2][13] Its total mass is not known with certainty, but, assuming that Halley's comet is a suitable prototype for all comets within the outer Oort cloud, the estimated combined mass is 3x1028 grams, or roughly five times the mass of the Earth

en.wikipedia.org...

Could this have something to do with it?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
What have astronomers been hunting for in the Milky Way for fifty years that they have not yet found. For someone really versed in astronomy, the number of possiblities must be ascertainable.

Could it be this? Sagittarius A

We are close to seeing the true blackness of a black hole. Astronomers have detected radio emission coming from within 30 million kilometres of the dark object, thought to be a colossal black hole, that lies at the centre of the galaxy.

Previously, astronomers could see no closer than 100 million kilometres from the object, called SgrA*. The new observation zooms within three times the radius of the hole's event horizon, the boundary beyond which any matter, light or radiation is inevitably sucked in.

The radio waves were picked up in April 2007 using three separate observatories in the US states of Hawaii, Arizona and California that were linked together to effectively form a vast telescope 4500 kilometres across. The technique, called very long baseline interferometry, reveals much finer detail than a single dish can.

/6hxe8r

news.nationalgeographic.com...

archives.cnn.com...

science.nasa.gov...

/4qzbtg

Could they have actually found the event horizon?

So, far all the articles that I can find say things like "all the evidence points to" and terms like that.

Maybe they've found the real deal.

[edit on 2008/5/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
maybe thay found bill gates penis.

but im hoping its another earth like planet that looks just like ares

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I say that they discovered water on a comet.. which is a given just that now they have the image to WOW you with.. kinda saying.."see.. we tell u about everything we find, its our job"

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
How long have they been trying to solve the Dark Matter problem? Perhaps they've finally found a way to detect it...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ianr5741

well, nasa was created 50 years ago,because the soviet was first to launch a sattelite into space. but as i recall in school, they were first to have an astronaut in space orbiting the planet and back. anyways whatever they found, they lost till now. right now, i'm doin some research and cross reference on what it could be.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by FalknFerno]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimbowsk
Is there any reason they're waiting until the 14th May to tell us what it is? If they already have the information then why not just divulge it now?!

Ohhh, unless they have some pictures that need to go through the NASA airbrusing department first..

Oh thats an easy one..

"It's the day after the incomming object collides with the earth & kills us all"

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm guessing that they've found an exo-planet that exists in the goldilocks zone? Perhaps they even discerned that it had liquid water through spectroscopic analysis? Dunno.

-ChriS

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

I do not like your logic. You have not explained why black holes do not exist; because you cannot SEE them? So? You need not observe an object to prove its existence, you need only to observe the physical effects it has on an environment. Get three shoe boxes and have a friend put a ball in one, a block in the other, and a cylinder in another one, then pick each box up, manipulate it and then THEORIZE what (if anything) is in each box. Are you going to tell me NOTHING is in each box because you have observed (visually) nothing in each box? Or are you going to make an inference that there is something in each box and (hopefully) make a logical inference on the characteristics of each item based on the effects the items have on the environment and your interpretation of the effects? I think your thinly veiled "scientific" repudiation of black holes outright is really a semantic argument for a term you do not understand. Would it make you feel better if they were named something else? The observations and equations PROVE that there are things causing the perturbations attributed to black holes. Science does not claim to fully understand fundamental nature of blacks holes, but something is causing the phenomenon observed and they just so happen to be named "black holes."

I think the NASA discovery will be of interest to only academics and enthusiasts, BTW.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Don't be silly.

NASA wouldn't announce ET life in the fashion. They are announcing an object that they had been searching for, for 50 years.

No Planet X, nor alien life. I want to believe too, but I am skeptical about those willing to jump on the crazy UFO bandwagon believing everything given them.

My guess is that it is merely a comet or asteroid or something destined to blow up the Earth.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
"An Object."

If they've been looking for it, yet never seen it, how did they know what they were looking for?

An object would not be a black hole, super nova, or anything outside of an object, in my estimation.

Very interesting.

AAC

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Wait I thought we were supposed to not believe anything they (NASA) say????
I really wish some concrete rules would come out already.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This sounds like a good thing. So i do think its going to be an asteroid. it might be this so called planet x.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Ok i just read through this whole thread, i cannot believe it was not mentioned and no-one has claimed they will do it... so i will.

That Press Release gave 3 email addresses as contacts, so...

I am going to e-mail them. I will let you guys know if i get any response.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
It has been assumed that there is a black hole at the centre of our galaxy but evidence for it has not yet been found. My guess is that's what they've found, evidence of a black hole.

Don't build your hopes about anything more exotic than that.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join