It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
im going to take a wild stab in the "space" and predict that they found a black hole very close to us. Hard to imagine anything else being more elusive to detection. That would explain why they're been looking for it for 50 years. It would also help explain the gravitational anomalies and gravitational delay experienced with the planets and their satellites.

Of course scientists, particularly the GR/SR advocates, will now have a lot of fun defending themselves.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrdyn

I agree with Riposte. The physical effects observed are simply attributed to the theoretical model called a black hole. However there are other theoretical/laboratory based models that produce very similar observable physical effects that have nothing to do with black hole type gravitationally based theory. Rather than admit this, mainstream cosmology is rooted and indeed can not remove itself from its gravitationally based paradigm, to the point where more suitable explanations are literally ignored. The masses of people mop up whatever Nasa and the scientific-academic establishment spew out, regardless of how accurate and reality based it is.

If they announce that they found a Black Hole (which they have announced lots of times), they are actually only announcing: "we have observed effects that are similar to the effects theorized within black hole theory." They could just as easily announce: "we have observed effects that are similar to the effects theorized within ALL THESE OTHER VALID theories." But that isn't going to happen, because Nasa is a mainstream Shill and propaganda head for the gravitationally based cosmological paradigm.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
While I hope for something mind-boggling, I suspect it will be fairly mundane... like the Black hole already theorized...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I am at once excited and skeptical.

It would be a wonderful thing if some secret of the universe has been located and either fills in some gap in an existing model or gives credence to some fringe model that will revolutionize the way we look at the universe and ourselves.

I also know that NASA is a bureaucracy that must always be pumping up its mission and announcing justifications for its existence and continued funding.

I am reminded of the extraterrestrial microbe found in a rock in Antarctica that turned out to be not much to write home about after all.

space.newscientist.com...

space.newscientist.com...

[edit on 2008/5/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
And to think that some of you hated on William Shatner.....

Please remove hats and start eating guys.

lol

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
They haven't been looking for dark matter for 50 years.
On a side note. They announced on, local central Florida news. That
they are looking for people to sign up for the astronauts program. Anyone can apply! My guess, it is a close encounter of the third kind.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Howie47]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
well i dont see any major significance with the date - according to Wiki may 14 is:

* Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church:
o St. Matthias (Apostle)
o St. Michael Garicoits
o St. Boniface of Tarsus
o St. Victor and Corona
o St. Vincent of Lerins
o St. Carthach the Younger
o St. Engelmund
o St. Just[disambiguation needed]

Often NASA will use astrologically significant dates to make announcements. But May 14 seems quite avergae really.... to my knowledge anyway

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I seem to remember that x-ray telescopes are used to find planets by the blinking of x-rays from the parent star as said planet revolves.
The size and other details of the planet are determined by duration and/or signal gain as the planet goes by.
Or maybe Ignore is right and I'm an idiot too.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
looks like i need to worm some info out of my uncle... he works in the qasar field department of NASA, maybe he'll talk to family

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
My opinion is that they a: havent found squat and its time to make up a new lie or b: they are going to announce to us something that they have known for 50 years but now its the time to announce a bit of it.

remember guys, its NASA we are talking about

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Herbal Oli]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by phaistonian

I am very interestd in this,but i bet it's gonna be something lame

I hope it's something cool though so i'll be watching for sure.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
I do however,find it slightly amusing,that they've made an announcement that they're going to make an announcement.

Hahaa that's funny.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I suppose it's something that only scientists would really be interested in. If it was anything bigger, then the mainstream media would have picked up on it already.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
MAYBE they found JIMMY HOFFA OR WMDS just kidding lol
but still cant wait to find out.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
I look in total disbelieve at your arrogance, how do you come to your conclusions? it is quite obviously not by using any of the things you quoted in the above, why cant you allow others to have their own opinions like they allow you to have yours? calling other ATS members idiots for not following your way of thinking is to be honest without the common sense, reason and logic you are preaching, why don't you tell us what your opinions are ? really? without the banter and bad manners you bestow on us? i would like to hear your opinion on the subject you say we make laughable without having to use other peoples views, lets here yours.

Please do not feed the troll! IgnoreTheTroll!

Clearly he (she?) gets off on insulting lots of members, getting lots of stars, and getting away with it scot-free. But confront him with actual strong open-minded common sense, logic and reasoning, and he sure does shut up and run to the hills real fast!!!

(sorry, back on topic now)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
its definitely quasar stuff and black holes. and think about cosmic rays, they still know nothing about them. but 50 years is a long time and dark matter cant be discovered through a grounded telescope so it gotta be light emitters and supernovas. either that or they found a crack in the universe...sorry, my bad. never again i promise.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

Depending on what you're scientifically interested in, it will either be interesting or not interesting

It will definitely be about either black holes, supernova, (any type of star). It won't be anything else. That is what the Chanda x-ray was designed for.

It will be a discovery in lieu of something that emits light or effects light in some form or another... hence x-"ray".

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrdyn
By that logic you can't actually see anything. You can only see the light that is reflected from it. Light is a form of radiation - and that is how we see Black Holes. We observe the radiation produced by matter that is destroyed as it enters the event horizon of a Black Hole. Most of that radiation is in the X-ray frequency range.

Wrong again. You are not applying "my logic" correctly. You can't observe a black hole directly because it apparently sucks in all light, and as a matter of fact everything else, except when it's spitting them out. Yeah that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Too bad that a black hole has never and never will be created in the lab.

www.holoscience.com...

No peculiar physics, strange matter or singularities (infinities) are involved in the plasma focus model of galactic centers. Black holes are not required. Matter in the vicinity of the galactic center is under the control of powerful electromagnetic forces. Gravitational calculations of stellar masses and motions in the galactic center are inappropriate and misleading. During the time that energy is being efficiently stored in the tiny central plasmoid, the galactic center is quiescent. Jets are only produced when the plasmoid becomes unstable. The periodic outbursts from a galactic plasmoid can briefly release more energy than all of the stars in the galaxy. Precisely the same effect is achieved in the high-energy plasma lab, like that at Los Alamos, where more instantaneous power than is available from all of the power stations on Earth can be released in a volume the size of a baked bean can.

I'm going to go with the documented and reproduceable effect that is produced in plasma labs all over the world to explain the galactic center, instead of a bunch of mathematical equations that break the known laws of physics.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I really hope NASA announces it has finally found its integrity.

Chaz.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Digging around the chandra website
something called globular clusters.
Can't be it, too easy to find.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join