It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If people want to throw facts out of the window and embrace ignorance following a womanizer and an utter failure individuals conjectures that holds no scientific expertise whatsoever and for his conjectures to actually elevate in the status of a theorem, something we could accept, it would require that first he can grow a brain and the rest of us and our collective intelligence reduced to the level of bacteria.

Millions of years of Evolution had thankfully equipped us with properties as Homeostasis which is a property of living organism structures that can also be exploited philosophically as an idea from the human mind and as a method can be expanded to paradigms of social behavior, it can become a way of life.

Finally among the camps of the "hard scientific facts" and the other side the "hard believers" a more open trend will emerge. ATS is already paving the way for this and IMO is on the right path of the evolution of thought and it does not make a difference if anyone can collect our thoughts or trends with the aid of this medium, he could do it from anything and from everywhere. Since this is a medium that ideas can be presented and matters discussed and analyzed, anyone who enjoys a public exposure and wishes to do harm belongs to middle ages and not in an discussion forum with an open mind philosophy.
Anyone can label the above as whatever you wish, you can't stop evolution and free thought and I am not responding to anyone personally with this.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by spacebot]

[edit on 8-5-2008 by spacebot]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Its a black hole.
Thats what the xray Observor was looking for

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
On NASA's website, they also have a teleconference announced for May 15 to discuss the Constellation project so it's doubtful the May 14 conference will make reference to this. I do think it's interesting that the website itself is toting 50 years of NASA. They also make frequent and various references to "2001: A Space Odyssey" commemorating the anniversary for that movie as well.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I would like to think it would be something like planet x, but I doubt it will be. I will probably be something to do with a black hole like the above poster said. The hype of the run up going into the press conference will probably far out weigh the actual event.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Havent read the last group of pages, but I will let the specualtion continue and add to it. I think they will anounce that they found a earth like planet very similiar to ours. Other than that no clue.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I concur, Chandra being an X-ray telescope would be looking for objects giving off huge amounts of energy, so a planet is pretty much off the table, and as correctly noted previously, astronomers have been finding extra solar planets in record numbers for years by observing the induced wobble on the parent star. So if it is not in our own solar system as nasa seems to imply, then the light of the parent star would prevent viewing an exo planet even to hubble. However I'm sure Hubble's holds many secrets about our own solar system that nasa would kill to keep.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Who knows what it could be. I doubt it's extraterrestrial beings, though, since the article refers to an "object" that has been discovered. (That which has been searched for since NASA's inception, apparently)

Could be that they've discovered the source of those cosmic rays past the termination shock of our solar system. This seem to puzzle scientist a few years ago when Voyager 1 reached the termination shock.

2005 Voyager Article

Voyager 1 has already passed the termination shock, where the million-mile-per-hour solar wind abruptly slows and becomes denser and hotter as it presses against interstellar gas. It was expected the wind beyond the shock would slow to a few hundred thousand miles per hour. But the Voyager scientists were surprised to find that the speed was much less, and at times the wind appeared to be flowing back inward toward the sun.

Perhaps the most puzzling surprise is what Voyager 1 did not find at the shock. It had been predicted that interstellar ions would bounce back and forth across the shock, slowly gaining energy with each bounce to become high speed cosmic rays. Because of this, scientists expected those cosmic ray ions would become most intense at the shock. However, the intensity did not reach a maximum at the shock, but has been steadily increasing as Voyager 1 has been moving farther beyond the shock. This means that the source of those cosmic rays is in a region of the outer solar system yet to be discovered.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Here is a list of past discoveries made by the Chandra Observatory. It's probably a good idea to see what kind of things this thing sees before wild speculation takes over.

After combing through myself, I'd say that confirmation of a supermassive black hole around Sagittarius A* is the safe bet. Also, Dark Matter is in as well especially considering other recent discoveries. That is unless anyone else can find a link to the past discoveries and anything fantastic ...

* The first light image, of supernova remnant Cassiopeia A, gave astronomers their first glimpse of the compact object at the center of the remnant, probably a neutron star or black hole. (Pavlov, et al, 2000)

* In the Crab Nebula, another supernova remnant, Chandra showed a never-before-seen ring around the central pulsar and jets that had only been partially seen by earlier telescopes. (Weisskopf, et al., 2000)

* The first X-ray emission was seen from the supermassive black hole, Sagittarius A*, at the center of the Milky Way. (Baganoff, et al, 2001)

* Chandra found much more cool gas than expected spiralling into the center of the Andromeda Galaxy.

* Pressure fronts were observed in detail for the first time in Abell 2142, where clusters of galaxies are merging.

* The earliest images in X-rays of the shock wave of a supernova were taken of SN 1987A.

* Chandra showed for the first time the shadow of a small galaxy as it is being cannibalized by a larger one, in an image of Perseus A.

* A new type of black hole was discovered in galaxy M82, mid-mass objects purported to be the missing link between stellar-sized black holes
and supermassive black holes. (Griffiths, et al., 2000)

* X-ray emission lines were associated for the first time with a gamma-ray burst, GRB 991216. (Piro, et al., 2000)

* High school students, using Chandra data, discovered a neutron star in supernova remnant IC 443.

* Observations by Chandra and BeppoSAX suggest that gamma-ray bursts occur in star-forming regions.

* Chandra data suggested that RX J1856.5-3754 and 3C58, previously thought to be pulsars, might be even denser objects: quark stars. These results are still debated.

* TWA 5B, a brown dwarf, was seen orbiting a binary system of Sun-like stars.

* Nearly all stars on the main sequence are X-ray emitters. (Schmitt & Liefke, 2004)

* Sound waves from violent activity around a supermassive black hole were observed in the Perseus Cluster.

* The X-ray shadow of Titan was seen when it transitted the Crab Nebula.

* X-ray emissions from materials falling from a protoplanetary disc into a star. (Kastner, et al., 2004)

* Hubble constant measured to be 76.9 km/s/Mpc using Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect.

* 2006 Chandra found strong evidence that dark matter exists by observing supercluster collision

* 2006 X-ray emitting loops, rings and filaments discovered around a supermassive black hole within Messier 87 imply the presence of pressure waves, shock waves and sound waves. The evolution of Messier 87 may have been dramatically affected.[1]

* Observations of the Bullet cluster put limits on the cross-section of the self-interaction of dark matter.[2]

Yeah, it's Wikipedia, but whatever.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It invites ALL media outlets to call the number for prearranged access to the announcement.

ATS can and by all means SHOULD be part of this big announcement.

We did it before in the REVOLUTION party, we could do it now with this...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'll be excited to see this! We don't know even a quarter of what NASA does about our solar system, so this could be ANYTHING.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
"NASA to Announce Success of Long Galactic Hunt"

So it's something they've been looking for over the past 50 or so years, and it was found using data from NASA's Candra X-Ray Observatory as well as ground based observations.

So what kind of ground-based observations would be useful in location of black holes, dark matter, gamma ray bursts, anything high-energy like that?

I have to side with IgnoreTheFacts on this one, this isn't the fabled Planet X or alien life, or a planet we can live on, or anything like that. X-Ray telescopes aren't really used for that kinda thing. =)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lighteningstrike

Can't reply to that original thread because there is already a current thread discussing such things.

Look at link provided by the Moderator, Crakeur (hope I spelled it right)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by behindthescenes

They have already announced that around a month ago.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
N.A.S.A has lied to us through out time, this will be an anouncement of no meaning to the general public but that of a scientific point of view.

There holding off the anouncement till May 14, 2008 because they want to gather attention for ratings. More money!

Just like the eposide of Deep Space Homer! (Can't find the Youtube clip :lol

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Most likely a supermassive black hole in Sagitarius A at the centre of our galaxy. I believe most spiral galaxies have one. Ours is 2.6million times more massive than the Sun.

However, NASA pretty much knew this eight years ago and have been measuring it since then. Perhaps they have only just got hold of the final proof science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 8/5/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez
After combing through myself, I'd say that confirmation of a supermassive black hole around Sagittarius A* is the safe bet. Also, Dark Matter is in as well especially considering other recent discoveries. That is unless anyone else can find a link to the past discoveries and anything fantastic ...

No.

If that's the announcement, it won't be a direct observation of either a black hole or dark matter, because not only do they not exist, they can't even be directly observed anyway.

So if that's the announcement, it will just be an inference, just like every other so-called observation of a black hole or dark matter. They will take whatever observation they have made and take that to mean the existence of something which isn't even there to begin with.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrdyn
I believe most spiral galaxies have supermassive black holes.

Ahh, belief. Faith in the existence of something that can't be proven to exist. Science has really become church-like, has it not?

A new religion that brainwashes the masses with Discovery Channel and History Channel specials, and an overwhelming display of academic power and intellectual elitism.

It's like the year 1633 all over again. Except this time the Catholic Church is mainstream science.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

By that logic you can't actually see anything. You can only see the light that is reflected from it. Light is a form of radiation - and that is how we see Black Holes. We observe the radiation produced by matter that is destroyed as it enters the event horizon of a Black Hole. Most of that radiation is in the X-ray frequency range.

Black Holes are also quite massive, which means that less massive objects and material will orbit/spiral around them. When this formation is seen with aparently nothing at the centre, it is a good indication of a Black Hole.

[edit on 8/5/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Major object in our galaxy....hmm...

Astronomers searching for fifty years....hmm...

Major ground based operation including X-ray observatory...hmm..

Hmmm... right after the West Virginia primary

COULD IT BE?!?!?....ITS!!!..... HILLARY'S CONCESSION SPEACH!!

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join